'18 QB Kason Martin(Manvel, TX)

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It’s because he can still improve and he will improve when he is challenged by adding talented guys like Martin.. That is why it’s great to have Martin coming in early.. he can learn the system early and challenge the other QBs.. 

He can still improve, of course, but if I am SL I am putting the other issues around him higher up the priority list.

31 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I agree.  Playing with better players *could* make a player look better than he actually is but that's hard to do with the quarterback position.  Also, players become better when playing with better teammates. Iron sharpens iron.

As an example, my daughter is a freshman in high school and playing a lot on the varsity of a 5A school.  Her playing ability has improved tremendously during the season so far.  That's partly due to playing against better opponents but maybe more so from playing and practicing with her varsity teammates.  If Martin is playing with a lot of talented guys then that should make him a better player for it.

I'll admit I had my doubts about not only Fine but the entire offense coming into the season.  Fine greatly exceeded my expectations and we can feel good about having a quality quarterback for the next two seasons to come.  In his very little playing time Shanbour has shown a little something-something and if he needed to fill in for a game I'd feel good about it.  I'm really glad all of these quarterbacks coming in appear to have the talent to continue after Fine graduates but none of them have played a down of college football yet.  For all their talents we have no idea if they have the leadership, mental ability, or quick decision making ability required to play at this level.  However, I do feel good that of all these quality recruits at least one or two will turn out to be a quality starter and backups for us when Fine and Shanbour are gone. 

So the supporting cast got Mason to the D1 level.. ahhh okay