UTEP Look forward

Cerebus

I know the team should only concentrate on the next opponent and not look forward.  We fans however don't have learn a single scheme or make a single tackle so...

UTEP is sitting at 2-5 right now... but they have already played the toughest part of their schedule, losing to Texas, Southern Miss, La Tech and FIU.  Now that their QB is healthy again, there is a decent chance they could win 3 of their next four:

• ODU (4-3)
  • Houston (Baptist)
  • FAU (1-6)
  • Rice (1-6)

Which means they could be 5-6 when our game in El Paso rolls around on the last weekend of the season.  We could also be fighting for a bowl slot... could be a really high stakes game.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

We could also be fighting for a bowl slot... could be a really high stakes game.  

I'd say we WILL be fighting either for a better bowl or any bowl. 

I keep thinking Rice is going to improve because the play us very tough. But I easily see UTEP winning at least 2 of the next 4. 

Just now, VideoEagle said:

I keep thinking Rice is going to improve because the play us very tough. But I easily see UTEP winning at least 2 of the next 4. 

They'll beat Houston Baptist with Aaron Jones alone.  Quite possibly literally.    

I don't see them beating ODU, so really it comes down having to beat both FAU and Rice.   Both of them have only beat an FCS team, so that seems pretty attainable.  

25 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I know the team should only concentrate on the next opponent and not look forward.  We fans however don't have learn a single scheme or make a single tackle so...

UTEP is sitting at 2-5 right now... but they have already played the toughest part of their schedule, losing to Texas, Southern Miss, La Tech and FIU.  Now that their QB is healthy again, there is a decent chance they could win 3 of their next four:

• ODU (4-3)
  • Houston (Baptist)
  • FAU (1-6)
  • Rice (1-6)

Which means they could be 5-6 when our game in El Paso rolls around on the last weekend of the season.  We could also be fighting for a bowl slot... could be a really high stakes game.  

When you watch UTSA this week you'll have a real good idea of what  UTEP looks like.  Their offensive and defensive systems are very similar. 

• Upvote 1

Not buying into UTEP yet. Yes there was this win vs the roadrunners. But this is also a team that lost by 42 at home to same army team UNT just beat by 18 on the road. A home loss to FIU does not impress me much either yet. Yes the schdule is ridioulously easy from here on out. But even like that 3 wins is no given with this UTEP team. If I'd have to bet on this weeks game, I'd bet on ODU.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Yes the schdule is ridioulously easy from here on out. But even like that 3 wins is no given with this UTEP team. If I'd have to bet on this weeks game, I'd bet on ODU.

Well everyone is going to bet on ODU.  

It's just that after ODU the SOS plummets.  They beat UTSA, and UTSA is a much better team than Houston Baptist, FAU and Rice... none of which have beaten an FBS team.  Between all thee of them they are 4-5 in FCS play :)