Pony fans meltdown

Harry

No, that's not funny, and I hope it's not true. But if it is, I hope the student(s) who threw it is (are) criminally charged and expelled from school.

It is unfortunate, but I chuckled because we all wanted beer sales and what happens? College kids + alcohol = jackassery...

• Upvote 3

Plastic cups anyone?

This, 1000 times this. You don't give projectiles to people getting drunk to use when they are finished with their beverage. I was very surprised that aluminum bottles were handed out. This is just begging for trouble. Pour the beer into a cup and hand it to the fan. It is not rocket science and they do it at other athletic venues that serve alcohol. I thought we researched this?

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

On the beer thing: The first year of Apogee, they sold beer in the club until an hour after the game. I witnessed more than one occasion of some handcuffs coming out. They've since increased police presence and cut off sales at the end of the third quarter. I can't imagine that similar adjustments will have to be made in the concourse, especially if they're selling it on the student side where freshly minted 21-year-olds might not have the same discretion as their older, more seasoned (pickled?) counterparts.

On the Ponies thing: I haven't even attempted posting over on their board, but I've been reading it. They consistently call us NTSU, they consistently say that we hate them, but that they don't care. They called yesterday our Super Bowl, but that we weren't good, they were just bad. They said our stadium was shitty. They took some very artistically angled photos of the corner of the endzone to assert that our attendance is worse than theirs. Their collective personality on that board tells me that stereotypes oftentimes do in fact exist for a reason. Arrogant, dismissive, self righteous, entitlement defined and illustrated.

I'm not from Texas. I grew up only vaguely knowing what SMU was during the Dickerson years, then forgetting about it completely. Nobody from SMU has ever caused me a grievance. I've certainly never worked for anybody from SMU. My therefore somewhat more objective view of them is that they reside in a pool of old money that isolates itself from the regular world.

So, really, I can't hate them as much as someone who grew up in the area, remembers the payroll days, and has suffered decades of a small group of people reminiscing about a five-year period of professional football in Dallas as if it's something to be proud of.

But I can laugh at them. Nay, I can chortle in their general direction. I my view, they're like the upper classes in old Europe, living in big, empty houses, devoid of money or any real power, but gallivanting around on some ill-gotten pedigree acquired generations ago via nefarious means.

To quote something I heard yesterday, "I can't wait to sell out their stadium next year."

• Upvote 3