Here's Another Topic To Discuss Until We Get Something Real To Dis

MeanGreenHoops

The schools that go by their initials have national reputations. Unfortunately, we do not and I do not see us achieving a national reputation any time soon.

I work in New York City and am faced with blank stares every time I tell someone other than a musician where I went to school. This story will sound "big-headed" and I apologize in advance but it actually happened:

I was having dinner with our board chair and his wife at his club. I knew the board chair quite well but this was the first time I had met his wife. Both were Harvard grads. We were making small talk and the wife asked me where I went to school. I told her I had done my undergrad work at North Texas. She did not respond and changed the subject. As dinner progressed and more wine was consumed, she then asked, "if you went to North Texas, how did you get to be so smart?"

I think the obvious question for us is, how did you respond to that, and was the board chair mad when you used profanity at his wife?

• Upvote 2

I was having dinner with our board chair and his wife at his club. I knew the board chair quite well but this was the first time I had met his wife. Both were Harvard grads. We were making small talk and the wife asked me where I went to school. I told her I had done my undergrad work at North Texas. She did not respond and changed the subject. As dinner progressed and more wine was consumed, she then asked, "if you went to North Texas, how did you get to be so smart?"

I would have told her I got smart because I didn't have to fork over a crap ton of money to get a college education.

• Upvote 1

UC Berkeley goes by California, or "Cal" for athletics. There's no reason we can't continue to be North Texas for athletics, even if the administration prefers UNT.

We've always been North Texas...

North Texas Normal College

North Texas State Teachers College

North Texas State College

North Texas State University

University of North Texas

I wonder how many people know that when we went from "Texas Normal and Teachers Training Institute" (a private school) to "North Texas Normal College" (a state school) that "North" was put into the paperwork by accident.....and never changed.

It was also our administrators intent back in 1960 for our name change to go from NTSC to UNT, and the name change bill was filed, and worded, accordingly. But thanks to some state senators and representatives who were obviously UT grads, and who threatened to filibuster the bill as written, a compromise name "North Texas State University" was agreed upon. Their very disrespectful objections to us calling ourselves THE UNIVERSITY of NORTH TEXAS were put into the official record of that session. Get yourself a copy of "The Story of North Texas" and look it up.

Anyway, one of the few traditions that we have at our Alma Mater is calling ourselves "North Texas". Everyone knows what school you're talking about. There is no need to phase that tradition out.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2