Here's Another Topic To Discuss Until We Get Something Real To Dis

MeanGreenHoops

So now that RV has finally seen the glory of the SOW on the helmet, it's time for him to lose using North Texas as well and use UNT. This hit me very close to home twice today.

Once was the Rick Gosselin article about what UNT needed to do to win at Texas. It was next to articles about TCU and SMU.

Second I walked by store in Allen and they had an advertisement for the Landry Classic at UNT's Apogee Stadium. It looked really good.

When you see reports on the news they say UNT. Why to we keep fighting against that and go with North Texas. North Texas is an area of the country that is about to have a weather event.

UNT is a college name. Yes, people in Georgia won't know what it is but that's not their fault. Heck even the rest of the school markets itself as UNT. Yet the athletic department tries to brand itself differently.

Look the public has spoken. We are known as UNT to most people in the area. It'd be like if UPS kept calling themselves United Parcel Service.

It's time we get rid of the North Texas and go by UNT and everyone can live happily ever after.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Eh, I like North Texas. It seems more prestigious than an acronym. Especially up next to Texas. North Texas vs. Texas looks way better than UNT vs. Texas.

Yes it does. Both are used, but North Texas just sounds better. Just as Texas is usually Texas and not UT when talking about athletics. Southern Miss isn't USM unless a headline writer needs the space. Baylor isn't BU and when their athletic director is talking it's Oklahoma and not OU.

• Upvote 1

I wish we'd push the "Mean Green" message harder.

When buying merchandise, I purposefully choose items with MG on them over those with UNT/North Texas.

I think MG has a much better "coolness" factor and if we can string together some great seasons and start to get some national attention, I think people might embrace the MG name for its uniqueness.

Also, no more merchandise that could be mistaken for Philadelphia Eagles.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 3

Local people may know UNT but I can assure you that UNT means nothing to those outside of the region. A typical conversation:

"Where did you do to school"

"UNT"

"Where?"

"UNT"

"What is that?"

"University of North Texas"

"Oh"

That's only because it hasn't been marketed for the past 25 years. If it would have been, in another 20 yrs or so, most of those that remember North Texas would be gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Local people may know UNT but I can assure you that UNT means nothing to those outside of the region. A typical conversation:

"Where did you do to school"

"UNT"

"Where?"

"UNT"

"What is that?"

"University of North Texas"

"Oh"

I have kind of mixed feelings on the subject, but if we don't market ourselves as UNT on a national level, then people on a national level will never know us as UNT. It would basically have to be forced upon those outside of the region like with UTEP, USC, USF and so forth. One thing I'm not real fond of seeing is "No Texas" or even "N Texas" on a stadium/TV scoreboard. It seems to cheapen the image a bit to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UC Berkeley goes by California, or "Cal" for athletics. There's no reason we can't continue to be North Texas for athletics, even if the administration prefers UNT.

We've always been North Texas...

North Texas Normal College

North Texas State Teachers College

North Texas State College

North Texas State University

University of North Texas

• Upvote 3

That's only because it hasn't been marketed for the past 25 years. If it would have been, in another 20 yrs or so, most of those that remember North Texas would be gone.

The schools that go by their initials have national reputations. Unfortunately, we do not and I do not see us achieving a national reputation any time soon.

I work in New York City and am faced with blank stares every time I tell someone other than a musician where I went to school. This story will sound "big-headed" and I apologize in advance but it actually happened:

I was having dinner with our board chair and his wife at his club. I knew the board chair quite well but this was the first time I had met his wife. Both were Harvard grads. We were making small talk and the wife asked me where I went to school. I told her I had done my undergrad work at North Texas. She did not respond and changed the subject. As dinner progressed and more wine was consumed, she then asked, "if you went to North Texas, how did you get to be so smart?"

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3

The schools that go by their initials have national reputations. Unfortunately, we do not and I do not see us achieving a national reputation any time soon.

I work in New York City and am faced with blank stares every time I tell someone other than a musician where I went to school This story will sound "big-headed" and I apologize in advance but this actually happened:

I was having dinner with our board chair and his wife at his club. Of course I knew the board chair quite well but this was the first time I had met his wife. Both were Harvard grads. We were making small talk and the wife asked me where I went to school. I told her I had done my undergrad work at North Texas. She did not respond and changed the subject. Later, as dinner progressed and more wine was consumed, she asked me, "if you went to North Texas. how did you get to be so smart?"

Damn, that's cold lady!

I work in New York City and am faced with blank stares every time I tell someone other than a musician where I went to school This story will sound "big-headed" and I apologize in advance but this actually happened:

I was having dinner with our board chair and his wife at his club. Of course I knew the board chair quite well but this was the first time I had met his wife. Both were Harvard grads. We were making small talk and the wife asked me where I went to school. I told her I had done my undergrad work at North Texas. She did not respond and changed the subject. Later, as dinner progressed and more wine was consumed, she asked me, "if you went to North Texas. how did you get to be so smart?"

Maybe she was just dumb which made you appear to be....never mind.

• Upvote 1

Ok a point and a clarification.

The clarification is I don't think we should stop saying North Texas, or putting it on clothing in the stadium store, or change the North Texas chant. I'm just referring to the official pub that comes out of the AD's office. I'm talking press releases, on the scoreboard, on the sports tickers.

As for the point I forgot, if we had UNT as our name, we would never have to hear an announcer say North Texas State again. They wouldn't just assume like many do that North Texas is short for North Texas St.

I like North Texas, but think UNT should be the name given when saying what school is X playing this week or where did you go to college? I do agree that most won't know what UNT is, but I'd argue the same don't know what North Texas is either.

Meh, or maybe I'm wrong.

As for the point I forgot, if we had UNT as our name, we would never have to hear an announcer say North Texas State again. They wouldn't just assume like many do that North Texas is short for North Texas St.

No, that would still happen.

Yes it does. Both are used, but North Texas just sounds better. Just as Texas is usually Texas and not UT when talking about athletics. Southern Miss isn't USM unless a headline writer needs the space. Baylor isn't BU and when their athletic director is talking it's Oklahoma and not OU.

Right, but OU, BU, or a mascot is on the helmet, right? I don't think any of these teams spells the name out on the helmet.

I don't care what we are called, as long as we are called winners on that late night Saturday Sportscenter in the fall.

I wish we'd push the "Mean Green" message harder.

When buying merchandise, I purposefully choose items with MG on them over those with UNT/North Texas.

I think MG has a much better "coolness" factor and if we can string together some great seasons and start

to get some national attention, I think people might embrace the MG name for its uniqueness.

Also, no more merchandise that could be mistaken for Philadelphia Eagles.

This

• Upvote 1