MGB: Chris Orr makes the call

Brett Vito

Severely disappointing that we couldn't get one of the Orr brothers and that they would take a chance on programs that they only know very little about at the time of their oral commitment. It's times like these that I see how far we still have to go. Where's the scotch?

• Downvote 1

I know, you would think after keeping tabs on the Mean Green program for 4 years they would take seriously consideration in North Texas. Kids want that fame, they want that bragging right of "I signed P5." My brother was a baseball recruit few years ago out of Arkansas and he said that's just the way it is. It's not even about thinking about the entirety of your options, it's about committing/signing with P5 D1, and then saying, "see, I told you so."

• Downvote 2

I am, kind of. Not really surprised that he didn't choose UNT. A little surprised he chose Wisconsin. One of the best seasons Wisconsin has had in recent memory they got touched up by G5 TCU at the Rose Bowl. And I don't see them even sniffing the Rose Bowl in the foreseeable future. Unless they got another R. Wilson transferring in?

• Downvote 5

Chris Orr is no where near the player Zach Orr is/was. Wisconsin is probably up to 20 offers to Dallas area kids. Most have been head scratchers. Good luck to the young man. I've never seen this many high major offers ever to so many area kids. The state typically averages about 350 D1 signees annually with DFW leading the pact. We should shatter the average this year.

• Upvote 4

I am, kind of. Not really surprised that he didn't choose UNT. A little surprised he chose Wisconsin. One of the best seasons Wisconsin has had in recent memory they got touched up by G5 TCU at the Rose Bowl. And I don't see them even sniffing the Rose Bowl in the foreseeable future. Unless they got another R. Wilson transferring in?

They were in the Rose Bowl in 2011 as well. Wisky is consistently a top 25 team, typically ending up with 9 or 10 wins. So they're a pretty solid team, a great school, in a city that's very similar to Austin just colder, with an incredible fan base. So there is no surprise to have him end up there.

• Upvote 2

It's when schools over recruit and in hand have recruits over commit. Then when February comes around they cherry pick who they really want. Happens every year within the P5 major programs. When offers aren't "on the table" anymore more times than not that's the reason why. Bo Pelini talked a little about this last week when he was talking about recruiting. Schools just throw out offers and at times they have little anticipation of either the recruit accepting the offer or of actually signing the kid. In this case this is Wisconsin dippin into Texas throwing offers out.

• Downvote 2

It's when schools over recruit and in hand have recruits over commit. Then when February comes around they cherry pick who they really want. Happens every year within the P5 major programs. When offers aren't "on the table" anymore more times than not that's the reason why. Bo Pelini talked a little about this last week when he was talking about recruiting. Schools just throw out offers and at times they have little anticipation of either the recruit accepting the offer or of actually signing the kid. In this case this is Wisconsin dippin into Texas throwing offers out.

This isn't something Wisconsin does. Their last 4 classes have been 19, 12, 19, and 26. Now Alabama, yes, they do that. Throw out offers to every kid out there but they aren't commitable offers. And almost every school dips into Texas for recruits, why wouldn't they dip into one of the top 3 states for talent. I can guarantee Wisky isn't going to fill their class with kids from their own state. They wanted Chris, he felt the love, went there, loved it and committed. I'm happy for them both.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 7

Ok, that's who they signed, how many offers were thrown out on the table? 60-70-80? How many commits did they convert to walk-ons? How many times did they jump on a recruits board that was flooded with G5's? Wisconsin does it. A number of signees does not mean they don't do it. All consistently successful P5's do it. Does Wisconsin honor their 4 yr commitment to the player if injury occurs? Doubtful. Last I checked only 5 P5 schools do that and Wisconsin wasn't one of them. How often do players leave the program from "personal" or "medical" reasons? AKA being cut.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think people overlook the possibility that neither Nick nor Chris wanted to play in Zach's considerable shadow at UNT, especially for Chris, who plays the exact same position.

Still early, and that's a long way from home.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Not all offers are committable. The coaches signed off on Chris' commitment, so it obviously was. They don't convert these commits to walkons. Fine me one example. I can find you an example of the contrary. They put former walkon Jared Abbrederis on scholarship after a year of busting his butt on the scout team and he ended up getting drafted by the Packers this year.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/abbrederis_jared00.html

And then there's this guy, who technically came in as a walkon after transferring in from Central Michigan.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/watt_jj00.html

There is not a set number of exactly 5 power conference programs, and there is no such thing as "bully recruiting." You just made it up.

Ben, please just stop acting like you know what you're talking about. It's one thing when you do it on meaningless topics, but this is disrespectful to Wisconsin, Chris, and the Orr family. Not to mention it makes our fan base look incredibly bitter.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Bully recruiting happens. Over-signing, loopholes, borderline cheating, etc. etc. etc. For you to tell me it doesn't exist shows your ignorance to it. And yes, obviously schools put walk-ons on scholarship. Thanks for the extensive research though. It's an epidemic among primarily the P5. And hell yeah I'm bitter about it. Guy is a great player that I thought we had a semi-good chance of landing. Whoever says they aren't a little bitter about this is a liar. My bad for being passionate about this program and showing my bitterness.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Bully recruiting happens. Over-signing, loopholes, borderline cheating, etc. etc. etc. For you to tell me it doesn't exist shows your ignorance to it. And yes, obviously schools put walk-ons on scholarship. Thanks for the extensive research though. It's an epidemic among primarily the P5. And hell yeah I'm bitter about it. Guy is a great player that I thought we had a semi-good chance of landing. Whoever says they aren't a little bitter about this is a liar. My bad for being passionate about this program and showing my bitterness.

No research involved. Just pulled those two off the top of my head. You made an accusation that Wisconsin gets kids to commit early then bullies them to walkon. My examples were off the top of my head, but you can do some research and try to find examples of that. If not, you're just making a baseless claim.

Grayshirting happens. But these coaches aren't going to convince Chris to walkon. Nor is that a routine Wisconsin practices. Any kid talented enough to get a Wisconsin offer will have other options if Wisconsin wants them to walkon. Chris is no different.

I follow recruiting very closely on the national level and especially UNT. If I got bitter everytime a kid picked a higher-profile school over UNT, I wouldn't be able to do this.

• Upvote 2

No, you are twisting words that I said. What the hell is wrong with you folks. I didn't say that anyone bullies anyone on an individual basis. I didn't say that convincing commits to walk-on is a common occurrence as you are insinuating, but let's not fool each other and act like that doesn't happen. And also I have completely almost stopped talking about Wisconsin. I have been speaking now P5 in general.

Also, you have those url's saved in your head? Or on your desktop? Or did you have to. Look. Them. Up?

And lastly, Billy, let's not act like you're the only one that follows recruiting closely.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok, that's who they signed, how many offers were thrown out on the table? 60-70-80? How many commits did they convert to walk-ons? How many times did they jump on a recruits board that was flooded with G5's? Wisconsin does it.

How many commits did they convert to walkons? Tell us. Not sure how I'm reading that wrong.

No, you are twisting words that I said. What the hell is wrong with you folks. I didn't say that anyone bullies anyone on an individual basis. I didn't say that convincing commits to walk-on is a common occurrence as you are insinuating, but let's not fool each other and act like that doesn't happen. And also I have completely almost stopped talking about Wisconsin. I have been speaking now P5 in general.

Also, you have those url's saved in your head? Or on your desktop? Or did you have to. Look. Them. Up?

And lastly, Billy, let's not act like you're the only one that follows recruiting closely.

You don't have to prove it's a common occurrence. Just that making their commits walkon happens at all. And Wisconsin is who we're talking about doing this "bully recruiting." You said so on the first page.

Never said I'm the only one who follows recruiting closely. Just that I couldn't follow our recruiting as closely as I do if I got bitter everytime someone committed to a higher-profile program. Nothing about anyone else. You said anyone would be a little bitter. I'm telling you I'm not, so that's not true. I love following this stuff. But getting too emotionally invested in a 16 or 17 year old's decision is too much for me, personally.

And I also didn't say I didn't have to look up the urls. Just said those were examples of Wisconsin putting walkons on scholarship that I could think of off the top of my head. No research involved. Just googling their names so I could link their UW profiles to back my argument with evidence.

Edited by BillySee58

I'm pretty sure Ben Gooding has created "bully recruiting" in his head. A quick google search will show you that nobody in the history of the internet has ever used that term before.

Sure there's oversigning which has been a problem but the outcome of that has nothing to do with what Ben Gooding describes (converting commits to walkons). Plus -- as pointed out earlier -- Wisconsin hasn't participated in oversigning.

Edited by Keith7
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1