Offers going out

There's been some debate on here recently about the coaches and their ability to light the world on fire with recruiting, i.e. beating top schools out , getting early commits, stringing together top rated classes, and just being able to sell the program to these kids in general.

As up for debate as that may be, I really do like the coaches evaluating skills, especially with the lower-profile recruits who the coaches have offered. A guy like Fred Scott was a good example, as was much of the 2013 class. I really liked the Rodney Bendy offer, even though we were his first, and was very excited when he committed.

Hopefully we start bringing in these Tee Goree type recruits more often, but the coaches do know what they're doing and who they're offering. Even if we're a kid's first offer, more times than not it was warranted and he earned it.

There's been some debate on here recently about the coaches and their ability to light the world on fire with recruiting, i.e. beating top schools out , getting early commits, stringing together top rated classes, and just being able to sell the program to these kids in general.

As up for debate as that may be, I really do like the coaches evaluating skills, especially with the lower-profile recruits who the coaches have offered. A guy like Fred Scott was a good example, as was much of the 2013 class. I really liked the Rodney Bendy offer, even though we were his first, and was very excited when he committed.

Hopefully we start bringing in these Tee Goree type recruits more often, but the coaches do know what they're doing and who they're offering. Even if we're a kid's first offer, more times than not it was warranted and he earned it.

Schools that are in UNTs recruiting tier purposely look for diamonds in the rough. They hope thier targets stay unknown and do not get a lot of attention on the recruiting sites.

two examples from last season are kishawn McClain and Connor means. Both of them did not have the stars or offer list. they were both known in the Houston area, but thats about it. They were top targets for UNT. once UNT got those commits, they were pleased. Its exactly who they wanted. And yes, there were 3 star athletes they could have had at both positions.

I thought it was a mistake to pass on some 3 star QB for means. Means did not have a good senior season. I asked a staff member about means, and they still wanted him without a doubt. He graduated early, came to UNT in the spring, and it looks like they made the right choice for this team.

Sed Ellis is one from 2013. He snatched up an early offer, and there was a highly rated LB in the area, that wanted to sign with UNT, but it was too late. offer was gone. He still signed with an AAC school, but he wishing that UNT offer was still on the table.

Edited by GOMG2013

Schools that are in UNTs recruiting tier purposely look for diamonds in the rough. They hope thier targets stay unknown and do not get a lot of attention on the recruiting sites.

two examples from last season are kishawn McClain and Connor means. Both of them did not have the stars or offer list. they were both known in the Houston area, but thats about it. They were top targets for UNT. once UNT got those commits, they were pleased. Its exactly who they wanted. And yes, there were 3 star athletes they could have had at both positions.

I thought it was a mistake to pass on some 3 star QB for means. Means did not have a good senior season. I asked a staff member about means, and they still wanted him without a doubt. He graduated early, came to UNT in the spring, and it looks like they made the right choice for this team.

Sed Ellis is one from 2013. He snatched up an early offer, and there was a highly rated LB in the area, that wanted to sign with UNT, but it was too late. offer was gone. He still signed with an AAC school, but he wishing that UNT offer was still on the table.

I wouldn't say Means was that much of a diamond in the rough. He held a Boise offer at one point. I think his offer list was what it should've been, considering he didn't have great production. I really McClain. I could see him starting early in his career.

Yeah, we're going to keep getting these diamond in the rough type players. My hope is that we can have a steady mix of those guys and guys who we had to win recruiting battles for.