UNT players who need to show up this season

Harry

With the graduation losses we had this past season, you really need some of the newer players to show up and make an impact this year. I have included their bio links in case you would like to review their size stats etc from the official website. Here's a list of some of the guys who I think need to step it up the most:

Jarrian Roberts - Roberts is a RS Soph. He was one of the higher profile Mac recruits who had offers and interest late from schools like Tulsa and Iowa State. He plays a position (Defensive End) where UNT needs impact players since they graduated both Sarge McCoy and Aaron Bellazin. Roberts had some nice moments last season, including a fumble return for a touchdown. UNT needs him to become more of an every down player that they can rely on against the run and the pass this season.

Mustafa Haboul - An undersized RS Soph at 6-0 260, Haboul is the classic overachiever who has paid his dues and should get a chance to show what he can do this year. UNT needs quality depth at the defensive tackle position, perhaps more than any other position on the field. I see this as year where Haboul can step up and make a place for himself or become more of a role player.

Austin Orr - Orr is listed as a junior this season and should be the starter at the inside DT technique against Texas. He has good size at 6-4, 285 and has played a fair amount of football at UNT. Orr participated in "The Stand" against Rice last season and has show that he can be a solid run stopper when healthy. This is a BIG year for him as Skladany is putting a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. UNT does not have a a lot of proven depth at this position and so they really need a guy like Orr to step in and immediately produce. Orr will face a VERY physical and talented UT line in the opener. If he can hang it will be a very good sign for this defense.

Dutton Watson - Watson is listed behind Orr at the inside defensive tackle position coming out of Spring. Watson is a RS sophomore and is listed at 6-3, 273. Skladany will play a rotation in the front four so it should provide Watson with ample time to show what he can do this season. UNT does not want to drop a true freshman TJ Tauaalo into the mix right away, but if Watson struggles early they might have to.

A.J. Smith - Smith transferred in from Northeastern Oklahoma and participated in Spring Training. He is a good athlete with speed. He did not crack the post Spring two-deep which could say more about the depth UNT has at that position than his ability as a player. You don't sign Juco's to sit the bench so this first season will be a big one for Smith to show what he is capable of.

LaJaylin Smith - Smith is a junior now and it's time for him to produce. He was heralded coming out of high school as a big playmaker who had SEC program interest. It just hasn't played out for him on the field yet. This is a big season for him to try and make a name for himself even if only on special teams.

Anthony Wallace - Wallace the Oregon transfer really struggled in the Spring. Expectations were extremely high for this former 4-star player but he just wasn't making plays. He will have a chance to redeem himself in the Fall camp but he will have to fend off Freddy Scott and newcomer Blake Bean whose stock has risen significantly. This is a guy who REALLY needs to make the most of his offseason.

Michael Banogu - listed as the backup offensive tackle behind Cyril Lemon coming out of the Spring. The guy looks the part at 6-5, 300 and lean but as a junior he needs to come on strong this season as we graduate some of the best linemen this program has seen in Lemon and Y'Barbo. UNT was extremely fortunate with injuries last season and Banagu could play a big role from a depth perspective if anyone goes down.

Ryan Rentfro - Rentfro had a nice spring and appears to be the guy behind Antonio Johnson who did not participate through much of the Spring. As a RS sophomore, UNT really needs Rentfro to produce for them this season and solidify things for 2015. If he can, then with Sam Rice becoming eligible in 2015, the graduation losses of Y'Barbo and Johnson don't sting nearly as much.

Micah Thompson - Thompson had a solid Spring and is listed at multiple positions as the primary backup. He appears to be the UNT O-Line's 6th man this year and as a junior has a good chance to become a key starter in 2015. McCarney wants an 7-8 man rotation on the offensive line and Thompson is a key piece of being able to do that. He has patiently waited for his chance to shine and the time is now. At 6-4, 316 he has the size you like.

Mark Lewis - Lewis is one of the lone Louisiana guys to stay in the mix at his position. He was overshadowed by the electric Spring performance of Erick Evans but still held his own. At 5-10, 220 he's a bigger more power back option and could be key in short yardage situations. This could be a big year for him especially with UNT losing Brandon Byrd as he might be the best candidate to fill Byrd's shoes.

Chris Loving - Loving has drawn the ire of Coach McCarney which tells me that the kid must have some potential or Mac wouldn't be pointing him out so much. Loving arrived as a juco transfer and sat out a season. Then he injured his wrist and could not participate in this past Spring. There is no question that at 6-4, 270 he is an outstanding athlete and could be a terrific blocking tight end. Will he? Stay tuned.

Roderick Lancaster - listed as a redshirt sophomore, Lancaster has struggled with injuries since before he stepped on UNT's campus. UNT needs a big speed guy to replace Darnell Smith. Lancaster - a redshirt sophomore - fits this mold but he needs to make his move quickly or he will be on the outside looking in.

John Chelf - Chelf is listed as a senior and was able to crack to 2-deep coming out of Spring. Mac has really liked and promoted this kid for his work ethic and ability. Since he will be a one and done guy, this season is for all the marbles.

GMG!

Derek Thompson's replacement

Zach Orr's replacement

Marcus Trice's replacement

Dick Abbe's replacement

and, if Pegram's not ready... Byrd's replacement

Those are the players who need to step up.

OK -- this is a list of players who I believe need to show up this Fall. As far as Derek Thompson's replacement that goes without saying and has been discussed on here at length. I think Fred Scott will do a good job trying to fill a great player in Zach Orr's shoes. Scott had a solid Spring and has won the trust of his teammates and coaches. Marcus Trice will also be a tough one to replace but I think Freddie Warner - if he is healthy and that's a big if - is capable of doing it. I listed both Austin Orr and Dutton Watson as the guys who need to fill Abbe's shoes. I think Lewis is the key guy for replacing what Byrd did.

What stood out to me in your list, and 97and03 I believe brought it up before as well, was players from the 2012 signing class. Mac's first class where he was able to recruit them for the whole cycle is now made up of juniors and redshirt sophomores. This is a big year for a lot of them.

We signed 22 high school kids that year, and 9 are no longer apart of this football team after just two seasons. Of the rest, only 1 has seen significant playing time in Carlos Harris. A few of the rest have yet to receive much playing time, but are in prime position to be in a rotation at least at their position this year. We really need these guys to step up for this year and going forward, as these guys will soon be counted on to be leaders if they aren't already.

• Upvote 1

lAs far as Derek Thompson's replacement that goes without saying and has been discussed on here at length. .

This from a guy that starts a second Todge thread and a Benford vs. JJ thread within days of each other? ;-)

And isn't pounding issues into the ground what I, I mean we, do around here?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What stood out to me in your list, and 97and03 I believe brought it up before as well, was players from the 2012 signing class. Mac's first class where he was able to recruit them for the whole cycle is now made up of juniors and redshirt sophomores. This is a big year for a lot of them.

We signed 22 high school kids that year, and 9 are no longer apart of this football team after just two seasons. Of the rest, only 1 has seen significant playing time in Carlos Harris. A few of the rest have yet to receive much playing time, but are in prime position to be in a rotation at least at their position this year. We really need these guys to step up for this year and going forward, as these guys will soon be counted on to be leaders if they aren't already.

Bingo -- you state it well. Mac needs these 2012 guys who - Mac and staff had a year to work on - to produce. If they don't you will have to move on and you will have to fill with 2013 guys and won't be able to redshirt as many from the 2014 class as you would like to. there are probably others who fit this -- I just listed the ones that jumped out to me when reviewing the roster.

OK -- this is a list of players who I believe need to show up this Fall. As far as Derek Thompson's replacement that goes without saying and has been discussed on here at length. I think Fred Scott will do a good job trying to fill a great player in Zach Orr's shoes. Scott had a solid Spring and has won the trust of his teammates and coaches. Marcus Trice will also be a tough one to replace but I think Freddie Warner - if he is healthy and that's a big if - is capable of doing it. I listed both Austin Orr and Dutton Watson as the guys who need to fill Abbe's shoes. I think Lewis is the key guy for replacing what Byrd did.

Whether it's these guys you've keyed on, or other guys who come from left field... those are the ones who need to step up.

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure that we see a (big) drop in talent this coming year. What I really want to see is for several to step up in leadership.

While we can come close to matching Thompson, Orr and Trice's skills we may be a far cry from matching what they could do to keep the team fired up. The combination of performance, experience and being vocal is not easy to come by. Akunne? Lee? Y'Barbo? Whoever wins the qb battle? I don't really know but the players can't rely on just the coaches to keep them motivated; there has to be on-the-field involvement.

I've written off a few of those named that need to step up for various reasons but I hope that everyone on Harry's list proves me wrong. Some will be under new coaches and I'm hoping that will help them become producers.

• Upvote 2