Another Tech QB comes available...

Harry

Tech will never catch UT academically. They may reach an endowment of 1 billion this year. Texas has an endowment of over 18 billion as of 2012. Texas will out recruit TT for faculty. I am not plugging for UT, but after 45 years in higher ed., I am just stating the facts as they are.

Of course. that is why I said "start to close the gap"

• Upvote 1

In 1958, the population of Texas was 9,579,677. In 2013, the estimated population of Texas was 26,448,193.

Yes, Tech has "favor" politically with UT (and aTm) somewhat because of their professional schools. Is it the only reason? I'm sure it isn't, but there is no denying that both schools need Tech to give kids options in those parts of the Southwest that would otherwise put more strain on the UT and aTm systems. aTm has already purchased TWU law school--because there is a demand for it. Tech fills a demand in their neck of the woods.

It didn't keep A&M from leaving did it?.... And Tech has a much larger HSC than A&M with 2 med schools and more students.... Do you think UNT's having a med school affects UT-UNT football?

• Upvote 1

It didn't keep A&M from leaving did it?.... And Tech has a much larger HSC than A&M with 2 med schools and more students.... Do you think UNT's having a med school affects UT-UNT football?

Why would it keep aTm from leaving? Those things have nothing to do with each other.

Separate the "athletics" equation from the picture for a moment, because most of the time we're blinded by that.

Do you think it helps a school to be associated with another school in the same conference and/or same state that is not as good as it can be scholastically? Do you think it helps both schools to both offer quality and the ability to serve the students effectively in that state? You realize that UT's admission policy by "top percentage" in class has been lowered in increments over and over again in the past 4 years such that it is now admitting freshmen in the top 7% automatically vs other state schools at 10%? Why do you think that is?

Why do you think Tech has such a large HSC with the population it contains?

LJ agree that they have nothing in common (which is my point).

You earlier you said that UT/AM keep good "favor" with Tech football program because of Tech's medical and law "colleges", in your mind explaining why UT football would affiliate or have a special relationship with Tech. My point is that that is not a valid contention.

A&M and UT athletic programs couldn't care less about Tech's professional programs. If A&M wanted to keep Tech's football program in their "favor", and coveted Tech's med/law so much "to give kids an option" and "take strain" off their systems, why did they leave the conference?

If Tech goes to PAC or any other conference with UT it is more likely to be because the football team has 58k attendance, sells merchandise, wins bowl games and has good TV ratings rather than anything else.

Why is Tech's HSC so big? Tech's medical school in El Paso exists (and is not a part of UT) because Tech had the initiative, political support and most importantly was able to raise the money to pull it off. It wasn't given to them by UT . UT wanted it at UTEP

• Upvote 1

You earlier you said that UT/AM keep good "favor" with Tech football program because of Tech's medical and law "colleges", in your mind explaining why UT football would affiliate or have a special relationship with Tech.

Hi Russell.

1. No I did not. Please read my post again, and read 1995's post which I was answering. I said political favor. I said nothing about football programs. You inferred that.

2. Tech's HSC is so big because there is demand for it, and because 1 or 2 schools cannot handle the demand for a population the size of Texas. Nobody said anything about "giving" anyone anything.

Edited by LongJim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...