Hoops thoughts (UNT swept again)

Harry

We have enough money as a member of CUSA to compete in athletics with AAC,MW,Sun Belt,and MAC conferences. What we don't have is enough extra cash to buy out bad hires.That money will have to come from alumni,and while we have a few deep pockets,we probably don't have nearly enough.

USM fired a football coach after one year and ate the rest of his contract.

If we aren't prepared to do the same if the situation warrants, we shouldn't be playing at this level.

Plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

Why not in this particular instance? What do you know? Or is this only your opinion?

What happened with Simon has happened in football, but I can't say I've ever heard of it happening in basketball. Outside of coaches retiring and taking a spot in the AD. Someone give me examples, not because I doubt it but because I don't know of any examples or how they worked out.

Opinion, but look at Benford's salary. He's not stepping down. Not to mention the fact that the guy seems pretty prideful and this is his first coaching job. If he steps down he will be even more likely to never get a coaching position. His only chance is to ride this thing out as long as he can and try to show that he can be a head coach.

If Benford doesn't work out and this season continues to spiral out of control, then we need a regime change. Shuffling the guys around in house would solve very little.

What happened with Simon has happened in football, but I can't say I've ever heard of it happening in basketball. Outside of coaches retiring and taking a spot in the AD. Someone give me examples, not because I doubt it but because I don't know of any examples or how they worked out.

Opinion, but look at Benford's salary. He's not stepping down. Not to mention the fact that the guy seems pretty prideful and this is his first coaching job. If he steps down he will be even more likely to never get a coaching position. His only chance is to ride this thing out as long as he can and try to show that he can be a head coach.

If Benford doesn't work out and this season continues to spiral out of control, then we need a regime change. Shuffling the guys around in house would solve very little.

The way I read Rick's post, it sounds like they could reassign a coach whether he wants to do it or not. It doesn't require his approval to "step down".

I am not sure why you would think football and basketball would be different in regards to this sort of speculation.

I've never seen this in my time as a college sports fan. I wasn't around to see what Rick is explaining, and I certainly don't know whether or not it can be done to Benford.

The way I read Rick's post, it sounds like they could reassign a coach whether he wants to do it or not. It doesn't require his approval to "step down".

I am not sure why you would think football and basketball would be different in regards to this sort of speculation.

I've never seen this in my time as a college sports fan. I wasn't around to see what Rick is explaining, and I certainly don't know whether or not it can be done to Benford.

I've never read Benford's contract, but I'd imagine he cannot be reassigned to another position. He signed a contract to become our head basketball coach, and we agreed upon a deal to make him our head coach for the next 5 years for ~350K/year.

Benny needs to put on his big boy pants and realize that if he doesn't get reassigned and then take an assistant's job that opens up, his coaching career is over. He has to accept that he is not ready yet, and if he DOES ride this thing out, he will kill his career.

• Upvote 1

I've never read Benford's contract, but I'd imagine he cannot be reassigned to another position. He signed a contract to become our head basketball coach, and we agreed upon a deal to make him our head coach for the next 5 years for ~350K/year.

I'm pretty sure it's in there. It's been in there for just about every contract RV has signed. Don't know why though, because he never uses it.

• Upvote 1

The question is which is cheaper -- reassigning Benford while paying him his agreed upon contract salary and then hire a new coach for a similar amount or fire Benford and hire a new coach for a similar amount.

It's not uncommon. Ray McCallum at U of H comes to mind as a similar situation. He had 3 years left on his contract @ 350k and was reassigned within the athletic department. He chose to leave the 350k per year behind and become an assistant at Oklahoma.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-men/article/UH-basketball-coach-McCallum-reassigned-1967014.php

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208397264

• Upvote 1

It's not uncommon. Ray McCallum at U of H comes to mind as a similar situation. He had 3 years left on his contract @ 350k and was reassigned within the athletic department. He chose to leave the 350k per year behind and become an assistant at Oklahoma.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-men/article/UH-basketball-coach-McCallum-reassigned-1967014.php

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208397264

And it worked out for him since he did get another head coaching job at University of Detroit and has been decent there. Maybe Benford should look into doing that. Take a break to go back to being an assistant and think about what didn't work out for him as a head coach (everything?).

• Upvote 2