JASON BERRYMAN: Former Cyclone Remembered

Harry

A former Cyclone football star was found dead in his east Texas home, Wednesday. Police in Jefferson, Texas believe it was murder.

KTBS reports that 28-year-old Jason Berryman’s body has been sent to Dallas for an autopsy.

Berryman had a short but very troubled career at Iowa State. His former coach and teammates called Berryman, “one of the most gifted players they’ve ever seen.”

There were two sides to Berryman. There was the Berryman who burst on the scene at Iowa State with 117 tackles as a true freshman.

“A guy who could run down a receiver or a running back from behind that played the d-line position, the d-end,” said Todd Blythe, who played with Berryman from 2003-2005.

That one was a legend on the practice field.

“He’d outrun the defensive linemen,” his former coach, Dan McCarney said. ”I’d put him with the linebackers, he’d outrun the linebackers. I’d put him with the DB’s, he’d outrun the safeties. He was running with corners he was running with receivers…”But there was also the Berryman who spent 258 days in the Story County jail for theft and assault.

“He said `man, I messed up, but when I get my chance, I’ll show people I’ve changed,” Curvey remembered.

His skills too great to ignore, and Iowa State coach, Dan McCarney gave him a second chance. He recorded 5 ½ sacks in the 2005 Houston Bowl, his last game as a Cyclone.

read more: http://whotv.com/2014/01/09/jason-berryman-talented-troubled-cyclone-remembered/