3* success.....

I was just strolling through the past few years recruiting classes on Rivals and started noticing a trend in regards to our 3* recruits. As in hardly any of them pan out, most hardly even sniff the field.

Going back to 2009, kids who were RS SR's this past season.

2009:

Shavod Atkinson DT - JUCO who helped plug up the DT spot

Jeremy Bean OL Juco

Ira Smith DB Juco

2010:

Aaron Bellazin DL - Became a great player and lead the league in sacks his sr yr

Ryan Downing DB/LB Juco

Brad Graham LB Juco

Forlando Johnson LB Juco

Steven Ford DB Juco

Jamison Hughes DB Juco

Zach Orr - Do I need to say anything?

D'Andre Wood DB Juco

2011:

Cooper Jones QB - Moved to TE, may see more playing time next season?

Brent Osborne QB Juco

Andrew Power TE Juco - played great in his 2 yrs

Kerry Swarn DB - left team I believe

Freddie Warner DB - has had tough luck with injuries

2012:

Boone Feldt OL - Left team due to injury

DQ Johnson DB Juco

Xavier Kelly DB - is he still with the team?

Roderick Lancaster WR - injury plagued

Nick Schrapps WR - left team

2013:

None

Rivals in particular has become a lot more stingy with giving out three stars. They also demote kids to 2-stars more often now. Xavier Kelly is gone fwiw.

We have seven 3-stars this year currently committed. Tee Goree (247, rivals, and scout), Fonzale Davis (247,ESPN), Jalen Adams (ESPN) Connor Means (ESPN), Willy Ivery (scout), Brandon Garner (ESPN), and Trevor Moore (ESPN).

Rivals in particular has become a lot more stingy with giving out three stars. They also demote kids to 2-stars more often now. Xavier Kelly is gone fwiw.

We have seven 3-stars this year currently committed. Tee Goree (247, rivals, and scout), Fonzale Davis (247,ESPN), Jalen Adams (ESPN) Connor Means (ESPN), Willy Ivery (scout), Brandon Garner (ESPN), and Trevor Moore (ESPN).

I think this class is looking pretty dang good. Just hope we get one more DT. Maybe the Guyer kid will fill the spot.

I hesitate to bring this up because it likely won't happen but what if several of the three-star athletes decided to commit to us? Would be go to some of the projects and offer to grayshirt them? Or withdraw their offer?

I know that the P5 schools do this a lot but I don't think that it's been a problem for us. Maybe we've pulled a few because we couldn't get approval from the clearinghouse but that's about all that I can recall.

The problem is some of the projects require at least a year to improve size, strength, or speed but some 3* recruits that fall on the last days could play for G5 programs. I'd hate to be the recruiter that had to go tell someone that I'd worked on wasn't coming because a 3* had committed but I guess it would happen.

• Upvote 1

I hesitate to bring this up because it likely won't happen but what if several of the three-star athletes decided to commit to us? Would be go to some of the projects and offer to grayshirt them? Or withdraw their offer?

I know that the P5 schools do this a lot but I don't think that it's been a problem for us. Maybe we've pulled a few because we couldn't get approval from the clearinghouse but that's about all that I can recall.

The problem is some of the projects require at least a year to improve size, strength, or speed but some 3* recruits that fall on the last days could play for G5 programs. I'd hate to be the recruiter that had to go tell someone that I'd worked on wasn't coming because a 3* had committed but I guess it would happen.

I've hesitated to bring all that up, too, Jack, and glad it was you who did (and not me). :rolleyes1: I've got your back, though. :)

Happy New Year to you and Jessica! :thumbsu: