Meanwhile at Apogee

UNTeagle88

Both sides of this historical Denton vs. UNT pissing match need to cut out the who-deserves-what garbage. Put the past behind them and work together to make this city and university better. Getting DISD involved in Apogee can only help every side involved.

Having said that, I know it is easier said than done.

I'm not aware of whatever bad blood exists, and really don't care. By doesn't DISD have its own fairly nifty stadium up around loop 288? Why would they even need apogee?

I'm not aware of whatever bad blood exists, and really don't care. By doesn't DISD have its own fairly nifty stadium up around loop 288? Why would they even need apogee?

They play there during the season. In theory, it would be a home game for them. Usually the opponent doesn't like te idea of that.

Saw Garland play Amarillo

Tascosa in

Amarillo in 1964. More money changed hands at half time than at a para mutual track but Garland won 10-7. HS play " pussy ball " now. Hope both Denton schools lose none of their HS heroes even consider UNT. Collins was built by Denton ISD taxpayers just to try to keep Apogee from being built. To hell with Denton ISD they don't deserve to play in Apogee unless we charge them triple what we would anyone else. Pray for Heart of Dallas Bowl where UNT will be appreciated unlike it is in " little d".

OK, Jim, now tell us what you really think about all this! LOL! (We've seen everything up there except childbirth, right DG)? :)

GMG!

PS: Will still never forget you addressing SMU AD Bob Hitch back in the Pony Express days pre-game in the tailgate area. Funniest darn thing I ever saw or heard! Then our buddy Rick "flying worm creator" Spears making a U-turn in the middle of a highway on the way to Floyd Casey Stadium in the early 80's with about 12 cop cars in sight wondering what in the heck they had just seen)? :) (We all had fun later that night on the Brazos Queen Riverboat as I recall--which back then wasn't a whole bunch of recall due to the inhaling of way too many margaritas).

Did Rick S. or I ever tell you about the day he and I went to a Baylor/TCU game at old ACS sitting around all those Baptist preachers, ie, Baylor fans?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Saw Garland play Amarillo

Tascosa in

Amarillo in 1964. More money changed hands at half time than at a para mutual track but Garland won 10-7. HS play " pussy ball " now. Hope both Denton schools lose none of their HS heroes even consider UNT. Collins was built by Denton ISD taxpayers just to try to keep Apogee from being built. To hell with Denton ISD they don't deserve to play in Apogee unless we charge them triple what we would anyone else. Pray for Heart of Dallas Bowl where UNT will be appreciated unlike it is in " little d".

I read the book by Jim Dent about the Fort Worth Masonic Home Mighty Mites and the gambling aspect surrounding high school football in the 40s and 50s really surprised me.

Great book, by the way. Really good read this time of year.

EDIT: "Twelve Mighty Orphans" is the title.

Edited by UNT90

If I can figure out a way to get some red and green in these pics I may now have my official 2013 Christmas cards to mail out very, very soon. :angel: (I jest)

GMG!

PS: Totally unrelated..................but I've been watching the National Geographic Channel on the Kennedy assassination (I'm a boomer' & hooked on that story--sue me).............. but have seen a video I've never seen showing long time former Mean Green Radio Network play by play man Bill Mercer giving a televised report on that day's events in Dallas and when he worked for KRLD-TV. I had seen other videos of Bill when he was in the hallway of the Dallas Police Station when they had just brought Oswald in from the Texas Theatre.

So glad our UNT athletics leaders and (apparently) the present MGRN guys led the way to get that Apogee Stadium media room named after Bill Mercer. Best I recollect, he is now in his 90's.

'The Okie from Muskogee' never talked about his dealings with the JFK Assasination when I had him for two Semesters back in 1988-89. I was interested, but that was like Pearl Harbor to my Grandparents. So, I never brought it up. Also glad that Hank is carrying-on the Sports Broadcasting Classes there at NT!

P.S. And, who would've ever thunk that the Suburb of Bay City would get pub on here... lol But, Matagorda County Football is in the doldrums...like the Dodge Years here.

I remember a night game in the early 60's against Sam diego Navy or somebody when the temp was around 20 and sleet was blowing sideways. No one was left by the third quarter but the band and they were trying like hell to sneak away. My buddy, Jimmy Beam, and I stayed for the whole game and had a hell of a time. I forgot who won that night.

• Upvote 1

I read the book by Jim Dent about the Fort Worth Masonic Home Mighty Mites and the gambling aspect surrounding high school football in the 40s and 50s really surprised me.

Great book, by the way. Really good read this time of year.

EDIT: "Twelve Mighty Orphans" is the title.

One of the greatest football stories ever told. I so hope they do it justice when they finally make the movie.

BTW...have you been by Berry St and Vaughn Blvd lately and seen what they have done to the old place with all the new shops opened up? Amazing.

Rick