Outgoing president proud he’s leaving UNLV ‘stronger than ever’

Harry

Last week, UNLV President Neal Smatresk announced plans to become the president of the University of North Texas.

The news came as a great shock to many Southern Nevadans, as the search process under way at the school 40 miles north of Dallas remained confidential.

Smatresk said he would resign from UNLV after his likely confirmation next month by the University of North Texas Board of Regents.

The decision to leave UNLV after four years at its helm came about, Smatresk said, because of his family in Texas. In a letter to the university community, the popular and well-liked president said his children and granddaughter in Texas have been “pulling on my heartstrings.”

The Sun spoke with Smatresk after his announcement to talk about his decision, his legacy and his hopes for the university he leaves behind.

Why did you decide to become president of the University of North Texas?

I wasn’t looking for a job. I’ve been happy here. I love this city, I love this university and I really believe in our mission. I felt that (my wife) Debbie and I have been blessed with incredible support from this community. So when UNT called me for the first time about two months ago, I said, "I’m not sure I’m interested." I didn’t think a lot about it after. But then, they called a second time and worked hard to convince me that this was an opportunity I should take seriously. It was just after my grandbaby had been born, so I started thinking that would be a neat place to go back to. It’s a pretty good institution, like UNLV, but in a different setting. I liked what I saw in their leadership and the promise of their university. I feel that when you can take a skill set I’ve developed, which is connecting the university to the community, and the fact that my family could be whole again, it became an irresistible thought. I think it will be a good fit.

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/nov/26/outgoing-president-pinpoints/