C-USA Volleyball tournament

outoftown

UNT wins the third set 25 - 21

It was even till 13-13 then NT had a 6 point series, and just kept that 6 point advantage, until set point. Took 4 set points to get there.

Defense looked very good. I kinda wish the team would put more pressure on FAU when serving though.

Edited by outoftown

NT loses set number 1 with 25-23 despite a late surge.

the problem was mostly our middle blockers not getting out in time, and passing game maybe being a bit slow, which makes it difficult for the attackers against a good marshall block.

It got better at the end though, particularly NTs blocking, when they almost erased a 23-17 deficit.

Serving pretty good so far.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

North texas wins the second set 25 to 15

NT won this one early with great blocking, was probably about 10 block points, and several rejections without direct points on top of it! Particularly Windham started to really read marshalls setter perfectly and was everywhere. After about mid set just everything worked for the whole team. Passes also had a bit more zip and had the Marshall defense guessing all the time.

Edited by outoftown

Marshall wins a hard fought 3rd set 25-20.

Marshall adjusted to the second set and pretty much ignored it's own middle attack and kept the sets a bit further away from the net and more to the outside. This cost their attack a bit of power but made it more difficult for NTs block (which was still pretty good) to influence the game directly. This put the onus on NTs backline which is hard to beat with power but had trouble with precision, which Marshall hit pretty well. The backline also had trouble reading marshalls attackers. This in turn made life hard for NTs setter Henard with the receptions she got. Attacks by NT were working quite well and efficient whenever there was some time for the setter to get under the ball.

Edited by outoftown

NT wins set 4 with 31-29!

It was a streaky set on both sides. NT was down 10-7 and then went on an 10 point run, fueled by better defense in the backfield (particularly libero Tamura started reading the game better) and still great blocking by windham.

Marshal also tried to go through the middle some time again, it kept being a bad idea. They also tried attacking from behind the 10 foot line in order to avoid the block, that did not work either.

After the NT run Marshall had 2 little runs and then a third one of 5 points to take a 23- 21 lead. Windham got back to front court and it went to 24-24 and was point trading from there with some incredible match/set saves on both sides. It ended on a tough net violation call on Marshall

• Upvote 2

Tough luck, but I must admit I was disappointed with this season. Based on almost everyone returning from last year and the pedigrees of the new coachs, I expected more. CUSA is probably tougher, but Marshall should not have been.

I don't know what exactly to make of the season. What I do know is that I'd find it pretty distasteful if UTSA (who is seeded number 1) would win a C-USA championship before UNT does.