Weird BCS Bowl thought/question

JesseMartin

So...if a non-AQ finishes in the Top 12, or in the Top 16 above an AQ conference champ, they get a spot. If one finishes in the top 12 and another is close behind but ahead of an AQ champ, do they both get to go? OR what if two (NIU and Fresno) both finish in the Top 12? Will they still leave one out? I think this happened before...Utah and Boise, maybe? And I think one got left out...but with the way the AQ teams are knocking each other out, it seems reasonable that quite a few of them will keep dropping and there could be 2 Cinderellas again, possibly even in the Top 10. Gah.

Edited by JesseMartin

The one that finishes highest gets the guarantee, the other one gets thrown in the pool of other candidates (would never get selected over another big AQ school in reality). NIU won't jump Fresno unless they lose, nor should they. I don't think NIU wins out, they haven't won that convincingly at times this year.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

No more than one such team from the non-AQ group shall earn an automatic berth in any year, unless non-AQ teams finish both No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings. (Note: A second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

• Upvote 1

So...if a non-AQ finishes in the Top 12, or in the Top 16 above an AQ conference champ, they get a spot. If one finishes in the top 12 and another is close behind but ahead of an AQ champ, do they both get to go? OR what if two (NIU and Fresno) both finish in the Top 12? Will they still leave one out? I think this happened before...Utah and Boise, maybe? And I think one got left out...but with the way the AQ teams are knocking each other out, it seems reasonable that quite a few of them will keep dropping and there could be 2 Cinderellas again, possibly even in the Top 10. Gah.

This scenario was played out with Boise and TCU both going to a BCS Bowl. They played each other at the kids table because the other conferences didn't want to lose to either one, so they fixed it. Edited by MeanMag

A few years back, when quite a few people were saying a playoff was impossible or would never be allowed by the big boys, my response was pretty close to what they have now. Except I said include all of the BCS tie-in bowls and a couple of others and make the playoff a little larger. If they expand the playoff, that's probably what will happen.