Change it up with a running qb

BillySee58

Well guys, tough loss. Let me start off by saying this isn't a blame-everything-on-DT thread, or even a replace DT thread. While he isn't doing great our running game is clearly not doing anything. I didn't get to watch the game so I'm not sure if it was because they were stuffing 8 in the box or what, but our running game woes continue.

So should we put in another qb to run a little wildcat for a change of pace every now and then? Not wildcat where you put a guy like Chancellor back there and he either hands the ball off or runs it. But a dual threat qb who does a little zone read and can actually make a pass here and there to keep the defense honest. I don't care who.

Williams has already burned his redshirt barring an injury and Berglund looked very elusive in the spring, not to mention Mcnulty who has been a change-of-pace running qb in the past.

Edited by BillySee58

Everyone is loading up. We can't throw over the top to force them back. Wildcat won't help because you kill the wildcat by moving up.

Only way we can force them to play back is to throw over them. We don't seem to call those routes. I don't know if we'd t trust the line to hold, the wrs to separate or the qb to deliver the ball. But they are rarely being called and almost never being hit.

Could a moving pocket with a real threat to run at qb help? Probably.

DW has no redshirt year now. One snap burns a redshirt. If they are planning to hold him out and apply for a hardship waiver I think that is a bad plan.

Everyone is loading up. We can't throw over the top to force them back. Wildcat won't help because you kill the wildcat by moving up.

Only way we can force them to play back is to throw over them. We don't seem to call those routes. I don't know if we'd t trust the line to hold, the wrs to separate or the qb to deliver the ball. But they are rarely being called and almost never being hit.

Could a moving pocket with a real threat to run at qb help? Probably.

DW has no redshirt year now. One snap burns a redshirt. If they are planning to hold him out and apply for a hardship waiver I think that is a bad plan.

If they move up then you make the throw. That's the difference between having a fast qb back there instead of a guy like Brelan who is either going to hand it off or run it himself.

Makes sense. The offensive line that can't open holes for running backs will mysteriously open them for a different quarterback.

or maybe one of these other guys can throw a tight spiral to a receiver? Maybe we have someone else who can take that pocket pressure and make a run? I appreciate all that Thompson has done for us, and that he has improved this year, but its clear he has some limits.

Makes sense. The offensive line that can't open holes for running backs will mysteriously open them for a different quarterback.

Our running game averaged 1.7 yards a carry tonight.

The pass was open all night long.. 326 yards worth of all night long for an 11.2 yard per pass average.

So naturally when we need a critical first down on 4th and 1 we call a QB draw........FROM THE SHOTGUN.....FIVE YARDS DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!

Who $&@!ing calls that play??????

Rick

• Upvote 1

We can't GIVE a medical redshirt. A hardship waiver is granted by the NCAA. We have not had great luck with Them.

Medical hardship waivers "medical redshirts" are granted by the conference. If denied by the conference, they can be appealed to the NCAA. Medical redshirts are hardly ever denied to true freshmen who meet the criteria (you cannot play after the first 30% of the schedule). You run into trouble on these things when you are trying to wrangle a sixth year of eligibility. Dajon Williams will have no trouble being granted a medical redshirt.

We can't GIVE a medical redshirt. A hardship waiver is granted by the NCAA. We have not had great luck with Them.

.... I know this. I am wondering why I was called out in the chat room for saying this yet now everyone is saying he cannot get one. Where we're the people in the chat who said he stayed in denton this game and was "hurt" and the plan was to give him a medical red shirt. You were in the chat room. Where are those people?