Breaking news — UNT's Josh Friar to Junior College

Harry

How is this going to affect the balance of scholarships? I don't want the new coach in 2015 to be screwed from the get go and have to figure out how to allocate 7 open scholarships in year one with a program that has seen 60+ losses in 3 years.

Well, we have 7 juniors on our roster, so there is going to be a huge overhaul after next season, like you said.

Anefiok is a sophomore and Wesley is a freshman. Those are the only current players who are projected to be on the 2015-2016 roster. So yeah, the new coach, which I see in our future as well, will have a lot of work to do in the recruiting trail and on the court.

• Upvote 1

Well, we have 7 juniors on our roster, so there is going to be a huge overhaul after next season, like you said.

Anefiok is a sophomore and Wesley is a freshman. Those are the only current players who are projected to be on the 2015-2016 roster. So yeah, the new coach, which I see in our future as well, will have a lot of work to do in the recruiting trail and on the court.

If I'm not mistaken TJ can apply for another year , but given our history ...
  • Upvote 1

If UNT is holding players accountable for off-court actions, I wonder about a certain returning player? It had to be both off-court AND academic issues with Friar I would think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I'm not mistaken TJ can apply for another year , but given our history ...

You're right, and that's why I didn't mention it. Because of our history.

Plus, his situation wasn't really an injury, it was a late release from his LOI and transfer. I wouldn't hold my breath, but either way there will be a large overhaul in the 2015 recruiting class.

If UNT is holding players accountable for off-court actions, I wonder about a certain returning player? It had to be both off-court AND academic issues with Friar I would think.

I think it had A LOT more to do with the fact that he couldn't crack the starting lineup for a non-playoff high school team.

But why should we hold Benford accountable for talent evaluation when it's easier to assume the player did something wrong, right?

After all, we don't hold him accountable for wins or losses.

• Upvote 4

off court actions...

Must have been pretty serious as we have a returning player who seemed to have some , let's just say, interesting off-court issues as well.

Oh, well...there goes that...it's all Benford's fault again theory. Looks like the guy could not get his act together off the court. Too bad, but doubtful this has much effect on the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So here's a breakdown of our roster situation down the road.

We will lose 3 seniors this year and they're all guards (Alzee, Vaughns, and Walton). We also have one open spot after the departure of Friar, so we will be able to sign 4 guys this class.

Here's who on our current roster will also be on our 2014-2015 roster:

Guards: C Jones, J Williams, TJ Taylor (all 3 seniors)

Maurice anefiok (junior)

Forwards: Voss, Flannigan, Gaines, Coleman (all seniors), Wesley (sophomore)

The question is, what do we do with our 4 spots? All 3 of the players we lose off this year's roster are guards, but how many guards will we sign?

We have 4 true posts who will be seniors next year and a combo forward in Greg Wesley. We are very deep at guard this year and even next year, but J Williams, C Jones, and likely TJ Taylor will all be seniors that year as well.

If we don't bring in any good post players this class then we will be forced to play freshman or juco guys at the post in two years.

Because Friar and Nunn aren't here and Hardwick and Overlander have transferred, we are looking at a roster with just two underclassmen. While that usually creates good leadership, it makes the future look a little unsettling, especially when you consider that even most of the underclass men are unproven.

Our roster in two years will be made up off, at the most, two guys on the current roster and 11 new guys that we will acquire in the next two classes. Benford has created a logjam grade wise on our roster. Let's see if it works this year and if he can recruit well enough to still win down the road.

Playing primarily freshman two years from now wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Playing freshman who aren't ready and/or talented enough to compete on the D1 and CUSA level on the other hand, that's scary to think about.

So here's a breakdown of our roster situation down the road.

We will lose 3 seniors this year and they're all guards (Alzee, Vaughns, and Walton). We also have one open spot after the departure of Friar, so we will be able to sign 4 guys this class.

Here's who on our current roster will also be on our 2014-2015 roster:

Guards: C Jones, J Williams, TJ Taylor (all 3 seniors)

Maurice anefiok (junior)

Forwards: Voss, Flannigan, Gaines, Coleman (all seniors), Wesley (sophomore)

The question is, what do we do with our 4 spots? All 3 of the players we lose off this year's roster are guards, but how many guards will we sign?

We have 4 true posts who will be seniors next year and a combo forward in Greg Wesley. We are very deep at guard this year and even next year, but J Williams, C Jones, and likely TJ Taylor will all be seniors that year as well.

If we don't bring in any good post players this class then we will be forced to play freshman or juco guys at the post in two years.

Because Friar and Nunn aren't here and Hardwick and Overlander have transferred, we are looking at a roster with just two underclassmen. While that usually creates good leadership, it makes the future look a little unsettling, especially when you consider that even most of the underclass men are unproven.

Our roster in two years will be made up off, at the most, two guys on the current roster and 11 new guys that we will acquire in the next two classes. Benford has created a logjam grade wise on our roster. Let's see if it works this year and if he can recruit well enough to still win down the road.

Playing primarily freshman two years from now wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Playing freshman who aren't ready and/or talented enough to compete on the D1 and CUSA level on the other hand, that's scary to think about.

The deconstruction of a once proud basketball program is underway.

So sad.

Edited by UNT90

Something tells me that if his on court performance had been better, his "off court actions" wouldn't have been penalized so harshly.

My son and I are driving up for the game and we have to find a tailgate to pick up some tickets (Scrappys). if I end up running into your area will discuss

My son and I are driving up for the game and we have to find a tailgate to pick up some tickets (Scrappys). if I end up running into your area will discuss

Great. Tailgate with KingDL and Harry. We are on the map. Stop by and discuss and cuss. Well, not cuss with your son there, of course...