McGillis delivers experience that USM needs

Harry

There is also the never-ending anxiety among fans about the school's current home in Conference USA, which has been diluted by departures to larger leagues.

When asked about how much of a priority it is to find better conference affiliation, Bennett preferred that the athletic department focus on the task at hand rather than fretting over its current conference.

"Conference USA is a good conference and I don't think we'll ever underestimate where are, nor do I think we ought to underestimate the level of competition that we are going to face this upcoming season in Conference USA," Bennett said "But I think any institution and any athletic program and any individual always ought to consider where else they can go and what other opportunities can exist for them. What the AD and I have determined is that we are going to do a comprehensive review of where we are, and we will make some determination as to whether or not we are placed appropriately."

Bennett said that he believes conference re-alignment has not come to a close.

McGillis had praise for C-USA and its members on Thursday, but he emphasized the need move USM forward."The 'To the top' motto here speaks to the aspirations of the university and of the program," McGillis said. "We are going to aspire to national excellence at the very highest level whatever our conference affiliation is. My time at South Florida has obviously given me an opportunity to witness and understand and be in the middle of conference alignment issues for the last several years. I'm very aware of what's happening in the industry."

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2013/07/20/4810106/mcgillis-delivers-experience-that.html