Will the ball finally bounce UNT’s way?

Harry

When it comes to sports, I’m of the belief that teams make their own luck, that good teams seem to get all the breaks because they are, well, good.

One can point to a bounce here or there that is completely random and changes everything, like UNT’s “Miracle in the Desert” win at New Mexico State years ago, but those breaks are few and far between.

Still, as UNT enters the 2013 season, it seems like it is due for a few of those timely and inexplicable bounces to go its way.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/06/post-spring-questions-series-no-9-will-the-ball-finally-bounce-unts-way.html/

Well.....no. At least not every bounce. There will be injuries to key players that we were relying on and I don't see the depth to cover several of the positions.

We've already had a couple of bad bounces go against us at defensive tackle which was our weakest position. On the other hand, we have an outstanding linebacker that will join us next season. Three highly-rated recruits join us this season. Our fastest player was granted another season of eligibility. The APR scores have soared and all key players seem to be doing well scholastically. We have moved up the conference ladder just as we seem to be improving.

As stated, good teams find ways to get the good breaks. We are not yet a good team but we should be very much improved. We'll win one or two because we are learning to put ourselves in a better position to do so. I see improved coaching, conditioning, speed, and attitude. Will it be enough to get us to a winning season? Yes, because I see fewer things going wrong. But, there will always be hiccups.

• Upvote 2

We do need a bounce or two to come our way, Harry, as we are far overdue. For those of us who have faithfully followed old Scrappy through thin and thin all these years. It would seem that the law of averages would be in our favor by now. Louis Pasteur tells us that "Fate favors the prepared mind", or to loosely quote Darrell Royal - luck doesn't follow stumblebums around. Even with that, however, we are due a little good luck and to be denied it again and again would seem to violate the very concept of the fitness of things. We are due and our time has come. I hope.

It can turn, remember 2001 and NT rise out of the ashes.

I would not bet on a big upturn, but I do think that NT is better poised for that to happen than in a decade. A few breaks and I know teams make their fortunes; but it is well past time for something good to happen in NT football. Last year NT had a handful of good football players, but were razor thin and had some big deficiencies on both sides of the ball as well as special teams. This year team looks better at almost all positions, but it is going to take a big upgrade to be more than just competitive.

IMO, for NT to make that leap forward:

QB play is going to have to much improved and that does not necessarily mean a new QB

A star is going to have to be found on the defensive line, someone other teams have to double

The defensive backfield and wr positions must be better and deeper (I think this will happen)

The OL which gets a lot of positive hype must improve, they have been an average unit but with 3 two year starters returning they should dominate

Coaches are going to have to move to a more varied game plan