Today: June, 22, 2013, I Found A Certain Texas Iconic Annual...

Where i went to HS-Academy HS district 13-2ad1 (pg 320)

Picked 7th

Where I currently coach- Honey Grove HS district 8-1aD1 (pg 347)

Picked 1st: let's go warriors!

DC'sTF prediction of your high school?

My HS: Page 333 of magazine

Danbury Panthers, Danbury, Texas (Brazoria County--SW of Houston)

13-2A, D-II

Coach: Jimmy Thomas

Prediction: 2'nd place (behind East Bernard Brahmas)

unt_rocket09, what large Texas city is Honey Grove located nearest?

I put my HS's location near Houston because few would know where the heck Danbury, Texas, is located (or would care for that matter).

In fact, some in Houston don't know where Danbury is located; that is,

unless they wanted to eat some fresh caught out of the Gulf of Mexico jumbo fried shrimp with the best tasting batter on that shrimp you'll ever taste and that at Danbury's EJ's Cafe. Many from Houston have made the trip to Danbury for that.

And thanks for posting since I have no idea where most of our GMG.com posters went to high school.

And drex, can you "show me" on a map sometimes where your HS is located, right? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Sedalia is 80 miles due east of Kansas City and is the home of the famous Missouri State Fair. It was where the Rawhide bunch was supposedly driving their cattle. However, I never saw one cow come into town the entire time I was there.

DC'sTF prediction of your high school?

My HS: Page 333 of magazine

Danbury Panthers, Danbury, Texas (Brazoria County--SW of Houston)

13-2A, D-II

Coach: Jimmy Thomas

Prediction: 2'nd place (behind East Bernard Brahmas)

unt_rocket09, what large Texas city is Honey Grove located nearest?

I put my HS's location near Houston because few would know where the heck Danbury, Texas, is located (or would care for that matter).

In fact, some in Houston don't know where Danbury is located; that is,

unless they wanted to eat some fresh caught out of the Gulf of Mexico jumbo fried shrimp with the best tasting batter on that shrimp you'll ever taste and that at Danbury's EJ's Cafe. Many from Houston have made the trip to Danbury for that.

And thanks for posting since I have no idea where most of our GMG.com posters went to high school.

And drex, can you "show me" on a map sometimes where your HS is located, right? :)

Honey Grove is about 20 miles west of Paris TX ad 40 miles East of Sherman. Little River-Academt, where I grew up, is 5 miles east of Temple Tx. Love my small towns! Danbury beat us out of the area round of the playoffs in bball in 2001. We followed it up with a title in 2002.

Corpus Christi Flour Bluff (page 275) is picked #1 in 31-4A and have the preseason defensive MVP in CB Jalen Campbell. The Hornets coach is Darrell Andrus.

I'll.be damned....the bluff is pretty good. Never was when I graced the field. Thanks dude

Edited by THOR

Honey Grove is about 20 miles west of Paris TX ad 40 miles East of Sherman. Little River-Academt, where I grew up, is 5 miles east of Temple Tx. Love my small towns! Danbury beat us out of the area round of the playoffs in bball in 2001. We followed it up with a title in 2002.

Ahhh! "THAT" Honey Grove! Thanks for that info, unt_rocket09.

I went from 1'st grade to 12'th grade in the Danbury ISD with pretty well the same classmates in each grade.

Can any of you find anyone under age 45 years old today that has done that? It's another part of Americana that is also disappearing.

The old home town had approx. 1,000 population but when they turned on our Friday Night Lights

at the HS football stadium it sometimes grew to about 2,500 to 3,000!

Our Danbury ISD high school stadium is named in honor of Coach Harold Humber, our head football coach of about 8 years, but during my senior year, Coach, his wife June, and their daughter Gaye were all 3 killed in a head on car wreck as they were en route back to Danbury with this tragedy happening near Missouri City and Stafford, Texas. Coach and his family had been visiting with the Houston Alief high school football coach as well as his family on a Sunday afternoon. That tragedy happened on March 9, 1969 and my senior class graduated 2 months later. It was a sad time for a small Texas community and to this day I often think of my football coach/friend, June and Gaye.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen