Take Benford out of the Picture what do you think of this BB class?

Wag Tag

Forget the stats; look at what happened during the year. Franklin was a much larger part of the team because other than Mitchell who admittedly played less than inspired ball, NT had no inside game and Franklin benefited from everyone concentrating on Tony. However, I do think he upped his game. Jones and Jordan Williams should have gotten much better in their sophomore year, they didn't. Alzee played his usual game but apparently didn't impress Benford at all. I don't think Niko improved much but he did play more..

The mark of a good coach is to make the team better than you would expect with players he has, Benford went totally the opposite way.

• Upvote 1

Wait PMG, didn't Trilli come back when his current school (that he's the AD for) played us a few years ago in the exhibition season? I am not him, but apparently he enjoyed being back. He probably even signed off on that game because of his ties here.

He was lower than dirt when he left, so if even he can have a good time being back in Denton, who can't?

Well, you're right about Trilli. He was something else! As nice a guy as you could meet but could not coach if his life depended on it.

From the outside looking in on this and knowing how desperate we are at North Texas to have success in anything athletically, yet I am not sure 1 year is enough time for anyone to even unpack all their luggage.

I mean look how much time we've given others across the board in UNT athletics to not succeed over past decades and they all to the person had much more than just 1 year.

Having an NBA caliber player who for whatever reason could not lead our team out of the losing or could not mesh with the talent we had was a frustration for all of us who call themselves Mean Green. I used to watch Elvin Hayes down at UH be "the leader" of that team and his supporting cast all looked good because of "the Big E" but more important is how they meshed as a team. (Of course, many of that group other than "the Big E" such as Don Chaney, Theodis Lee, Kenny Spain, George Reynolds, etc, were talented and even more important they all seemed to stay healthy as a group, too). Being facetious here, but it seems all Coach Guy Lewis had to do was throw out the basketball to these guys, chew on his famous towel and watch players who meshed and had great chemistry do the rest. I think Benford is looking for that chemistry factor.

Even during Coach JJ's last season in Denton it seems we had the injury bug or the "no pass/no play" bug as well in Mean Green Country and that has not helped, either.

Hope all is well for you in TinselTown, CMJ.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

Well, you're right about Trilli. He was something else! As nice a guy as you could meet but could not coach if his life depended on it.

From the outside looking in on this and knowing how desperate we are at North Texas to have success in anything athletically, yet I am not sure 1 year is enough time for anyone to even unpack all their luggage.

I mean look how much time we've given others across the board in UNT athletics to not succeed over past decades and they all to the person had much more than just 1 year.

Having an NBA caliber player who for whatever reason could not lead our team out of the losing or could not mesh with the talent we had was a frustration for all of us who call themselves Mean Green. I used to watch Elvin Hayes down at UH be "the leader" of that team and his supporting cast all looked good because of "the Big E" but more important is how they meshed as a team. (Of course, many of that group other than "the Big E" such as Don Chaney, Theodis Lee, Kenny Spain, George Reynolds, etc, were talented and even more important they all seemed to stay healthy as a group, too). Being facetious here, but it seems all Coach Guy Lewis had to do was throw out the basketball to these guys, chew on his famous towel and watch players who meshed and had great chemistry do the rest. I think Benford is looking for that chemistry factor.

Even during Coach JJ's last season in Denton it seems we had the injury bug or the "no pass/no play" bug as well in Mean Green Country and that has not helped, either.

Hope all is well for you in TinselTown, CMJ.

GMG!

Now I know why professors get the big bucks. Nobody can follow instructions !! :-[ I am impressed with Benford's first recruiting class. I would like to hear from some in the know guys what they think !

• Upvote 1

Right, because actual, tangible evidence isn't what you want to hear.

Stats can be manipulated to serve whatever purpose you choose. I could pull up stats that would provide reason as to why last season fell way below expectations if I were so inclined. I'm not, last year is done and I will hope to see improvement this year. Continuing to bitch about last year and personally slam the head coach isn't doing anyone any good except maybe making you feel a little better. In all honesty, I hope Benford rights the ship and gets us moving in the right direction again, but continuing to complain about last year isn't accomplishing anything. We all know how you feel, Benford will be here next year either way.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We all know how you feel, Benford will be here next year either way.

Ya, and we should all just accept it, not gripe about it, and shut the hell up, right?

I mean, why should any of us have any expectations of competency, much less excellence, from our coaching staffs?

• Upvote 1

Ya, and we should all just accept it, not gripe about it, and shut the hell up, right?

I mean, why should any of us have any expectations of competency, much less excellence, from our coaching staffs?

Well, it is June after all and you've been preaching the same sermon since January roughly. Nothing is changing and it is getting old. Direct your ire at RV, the BOR, etc... I don't know of a soul on here that can do anything about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well, it is June after all and you've been preaching the same sermon since January roughly. Nothing is changing and it is getting old. Direct your ire at RV, the BOR, etc... I don't know of a soul on here that can do anything about it.

I doubt that they care what I have to say. I know you don't, but you also don't have to read it.

I'll shut up when the problem is fixed.

The problem will be fixed when this program (that was on the verge of possibly something big before the Benford hire) wins 20 games again or Benford is fired. We all know which I believe will happen first.

When one of those two things happen, I'll shut up.

Look on the bright side. I could be like about 1,500 curious fans last season and just walk away. At least I care enough to stick around.

And yes, Its a matter of when, not if.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2