Blazers Should Take North Texas F Tony Mitchell In 2013 NBA Draft

Harry

Jonathan Tjarks of SBNation.com writes that the Portland Trail Blazers should select North Texas forward Tony Mitchell with the No. 10 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.

To throw some variety in these mock drafts, we're going in a different direction this week. Instead of looking at where guys are likely to go, this is purely my opinion on where I think they should go.

The Blazers need a difference-maker to push them over the top, and all the safe picks could be gone. Mitchell is the perfect combination for them: he has a tremendous amount of upside and a high floor given his off-the-charts athleticism at 6'9, 235.

Tjarks wrote a longer feature arguing that Mitchell could be the 2013 Draft's version of All-Star forward Paul George, who went No. 10 to the Indiana Pacers in 2010.

How does an elite 6'9+ athlete with a fairly complete skillset fall to No. 10 overall? In George's case, because he was the best player on an underachieving mid-major team, far from the national spotlight. If there's one player in this draft who fits that description, it's Tony Mitchell of North Texas -- complete with two first names.

In person, Mitchell more than passes the eye test. He's 6'9, 235 pounds with a 7'2 wingspan and a 38' max vertical. Look at his dunks from UNT Midnight Madness this season. That's a guy bigger than most NBA power forwards dunking two basketballs at once, catching the ball in mid-air and doing a windmill and I'm not even sure what the last once was because holy s--t. At the combine, Mitchell jumped so high they had to put something under the bar to raise it. If things don't work out for him in the NBA, he can march over to the NFL and be an All-Pro TE for the next decade.

Read more: http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/5/29/4378372/tjarks-blazers-should-take-north-texas-f-tony-mitchell-in-2013-nba

OK, seriously now...I've seen no discussion on this yet, but if Dallas at #13, who is looking at a couple of other power forwards, has an opportunity to draft Tony...do they pull the trigger? This could be the thing to continue putting butts in seats, especially after Dirk has ridden off into the sunset.

• Upvote 1

If the a PG falls to #10 that Utah really likes, I could see POR trading down to #14 to grab Mitchell.

With Mitchell in house, they could bring him off the bench for a couple years behind L. Aldridge grooming him as trade chip or as LA's replacement if he leaves as a free agent in 2015.

• Upvote 1

OK, seriously now...I've seen no discussion on this yet, but if Dallas at #13, who is looking at a couple of other power forwards, has an opportunity to draft Tony...do they pull the trigger? This could be the thing to continue putting butts in seats, especially after Dirk has ridden off into the sunset.

Dallas actually makes sense. I believe they saw Mitchell more than anyone the last 2 seasons and would be very familiar with his situation at UNT.

It sure would be nice to have Tony stay local.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He badly needs to get out of this area. I'd like to see him playing in the East.

• Upvote 2