Scholarships-2013

UNTexas

I was reading more about Tommy Tuberville continuing his classless antics in recruiting and it lead me to some questions:

What is the current NCAA regulations on scholarship numbers, per year, total number, ect.?

Could our staff at UNT contact players that have committed somewhere else if there is instability for some recruits such as Cincinnati, Texas Tech, ect.?

Has UNT reached its limit for recruiting numbers this off-season? If so, do we have a comprehensive list of what to expect on February 6th?

Thanks

What is the current NCAA regulations on scholarship numbers, per year, total number, ect.?

Could our staff at UNT contact players that have committed somewhere else if there is instability for some recruits such as Cincinnati, Texas Tech, ect.?

Has UNT reached its limit for recruiting numbers this off-season? If so, do we have a comprehensive list of what to expect on February 6th?

Thanks

NCAA limits: 25 per year, 85 total

Yes, we can contact any recruit (as long as it's not a dead period, etc.) until they sign.

Last I heard, we had 3 available schollies for the 2013 class.

In terms of NCAA I believe the following is true:

85 total players receiving financial aid at any point during a given calendar year.

25 total players in a given calendar year can start receiving financial aid that were not receiving financial aid in the previous calendar year (does not matter if they are JUCO recruit, HS recruit, transfer, or walk on that converts to scholly)

28 total number of players that can sign a letter of intent (but max of 25 can actually receive financial aid when all is said and done). NCAA placed limit of 28 to help curb oversigning. Not the same as verbal offers/commits.

Technically, we have only formally signed an actual agreement with a few JUCO players and we may have already signed agreements to provide financial aid to some of the transfers. However, we have extended verbal offers (non binding) and received verbal commitments (non binding) from several players to the point where, unless something changes, we are under the impression that we only have 3 more scholarships availble to hand out for this year.

In terms of NCAA I believe the following is true:

85 total players receiving financial aid at any point during a given calendar year.

25 total players in a given calendar year can start receiving financial aid that were not receiving financial aid in the previous calendar year (does not matter if they are JUCO recruit, HS recruit, transfer, or walk on that converts to scholly)

28 total number of players that can sign a letter of intent (but max of 25 can actually receive financial aid when all is said and done). NCAA placed limit of 28 to help curb oversigning. Not the same as verbal offers/commits.

Technically, we have only formally signed an actual agreement with a few JUCO players and we may have already signed agreements to provide financial aid to some of the transfers. However, we have extended verbal offers (non binding) and received verbal commitments (non binding) from several players to the point where, unless something changes, we are under the impression that we only have 3 more scholarships availble to hand out for this year.

The rules as far as the 25-28-85 numbers that you stated are correct but it takes a Philadelphia lawyer to decipher the intricacies of the transfer rule. It used to be that transfers did not count against the annual total allowed as long as you were within the maximum 85. One reason is/was that since the transfer must sit out a year he was not actually being recruited for that year. Junior college transfers do count since they can play immediately.

There are reasons why we would sign less than 25 in a given year. The signing of 25 would put us over the maximum number allowed. We could hold scholarships for preferred walk-ons. We could reduce the number until qualification of a recruit(s) is(are) substantiated.

I have no idea why we would only sign 20 this class since we are below 85 but I'm sure the coaching staff has its reasons. To arrive at the 20 we have four signed letters of intent. We have 12 commitments thus far running the total to 16. We are apparently counting Berglund in this class because he did not transfer directly from Kansas but had the brief enrollment at Scottsdale. What makes that perplexing is that he actually sat out a year. We have three open scholarships to reach the 20 or four if Berglund can be treated as a direct transfer. Five are being withheld for some reason and if the right players become available I would expect to see more than 20 signed.

Edited by GrayEagle

I agree that it is pretty darn confusing. However, the way I try to break it down is to look to see if a player is currently receiving non academic financial aid in the current calendar year, but were not receiving non academic financial (from unt) aid at any point in the prior calendar year. If they are, then they count as one of the 25 maximum players that can receive non academic financial aid during the current calendar year. As GrayEagle points out, if we are retaining our scholarship players we may not be able to offer 25 new scholarships due to the 85 maximum.

In terms of why we are saying we are only planning to sign 20 new players, even though we are more than 25 scholarships under the max of 85, I interpreted this as 20 new players (counting Berglund since he began the year enrolled in JUCO and will technically be a JUCO signee), plus transfers that will be receiving financial aid starting in January (Terrell, Pegram, others such as Caldwell?). Plus, the potential of the two greyshirts from last fall or possibly the plan to convert a walkon to scholarship status. When you add all of these up, I would expect the number to total 25 new financial aid packages to be added 2013.

Now that we are getting close to the full compliment of 85 scholarship players, we may not be able to sign the full limit of 25 new players depending on how many scholarship players graduate, attrition, medical releases, etc..

Medical releases are a growing area of abuse by some programs, especially the big programs. The coach comes in and tells a player that he is being granted a medical release so he will no longer be playing for the school, but he will still receive scholarship to finish out his degree. The program recoups the scholarship 'spot' so they can sign new players. Effectively, the 'injured' player is kicked off the team. Many times the 'injured' player could recover if given the time. There are also plenty of examples where coaches strongly 'suggest' that a player not return for the following season, but this is getting into the shady side of this business where it is probably best that the general public does not know everything about what goes on. Kind of like knowing the entire process of where the meat in the grocery stores come from.

Speaking of Tech commits...why we didnt try to snag up Dee Paul out of Munday baffles me. He was committed to SMU but wants to run track as well. He is now going to Tech. The kid can fly.

He was being battled for by Baylor, Tech, Oklahoma State, and Tennessee. We wouldn't have had much of a chance unfortunately.

Pretty dang much, he was defensive player of the year and they won the 1a-d2 state title. If you ever get a chance, try and make it to a small school state title game. There are some great athletes that really shine. I believe there are great athletes at every level, not just 4a and 5a. There are just MANY more at the higher levels. Dee Paul ran a 48 on his leg in the 4x400 last year down in Austin. Kid can flat out fly...speed knows no classification lol

Considering our discussion of academics in another thread, I see no reason why we can't go after the same recruits as the big guys. I'm sure most kids playing ball dream of someday being in the NFL, but if you go elsewhere, not only are you less likely to get playing time, but their idea of a "backup plan" is "maybe we can get you a job selling used cars or coaching middle school if football doesn't work out."

At UNT, our backup plans for our athletes include owning your own business, being a research scientist, going to law school, and becoming an Olympian, among other things. Sometimes, it's more than one of those. "We will try to keep you eligible and hopefully get you some time on the field, and if you don't make it you can work in the cafeteria until we find you another job after you drop out" isn't exactly the pitch that those other coaches tell prospects, but in many cases it's that reality far more often than what is "sold" to new student athletes.

I think if these kids, and their families, were fully aware of that approach (versus ours), we would be signing a lot more of the recruits that everyone is so desperate to obtain.

Pretty dang much, he was defensive player of the year and they won the 1a-d2 state title. If you ever get a chance, try and make it to a small school state title game. There are some great athletes that really shine. I believe there are great athletes at every level, not just 4a and 5a. There are just MANY more at the higher levels. Dee Paul ran a 48 on his leg in the 4x400 last year down in Austin. Kid can flat out fly...speed knows no classification lol

Very true. I saw Muleshoe and Kirbyville in their state championship game a couple of years`back and was impressed. They aren't generally gonna have the big boys up front, but their skill position guys were impressive.