Passed away today at age 92; it was a great pleasure seeing him perform at UNT's Murchison Center a few years ago when he was a mere lad of 89. He had just cut his concert schedule from 200 a year to 100, in a concession to advancing age. My understanding is that he was still still touring and loving it in recent days. He will truly be missed, but it's hard to be that sad about someone finding what they loved and doing it the rest of his days. I'll still remember what he said about his visit to Denton, "We've truly had a wonderful time here".

Take Five, Dave!

Here's one obit, from the L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-dave-brubeck-20121206,0,4002374.story

Edited by eulessismore

I will never forget:

Dr. Williams was teaching my conducting class, and cancelled class the dayBrubeck was on campus. Brubeck was giving a master class to jazz piano players in the concert hall, and we were all supposed to go watch the master class instead of going to conducting class.

Watching him slowly make his way to the piano, he gently set his briefcase on the ground and sat at the piano bench. Immediately, it was like 40 years had been wiped away, and he looked young and vibrant, just like the students he was teaching. He played a few charts with some lucky rhythm section students, and then proceeded to listen to a dozen or so pianists.He was nothing but complimentary and helpful to all of them.

That day showed changed the way I looked at having a career in music. It was certainly one of the best days of my undergraduate career.

• Upvote 2

I will never forget:

Dr. Williams was teaching my conducting class, and cancelled class the dayBrubeck was on campus. Brubeck was giving a master class to jazz piano players in the concert hall, and we were all supposed to go watch the master class instead of going to conducting class.

Watching him slowly make his way to the piano, he gently set his briefcase on the ground and sat at the piano bench. Immediately, it was like 40 years had been wiped away, and he looked young and vibrant, just like the students he was teaching. He played a few charts with some lucky rhythm section students, and then proceeded to listen to a dozen or so pianists.He was nothing but complimentary and helpful to all of them.

That day showed changed the way I looked at having a career in music. It was certainly one of the best days of my undergraduate career.

A very special talent. He helped make jazz more "mainstream" in his heyday. Glad you were able to see him in person......I envy that.

Interesting comment about how 40 years seemed to have been wiped away when he starting playing. I've noticed that lifetime musicians, especially the ones who REALLY love their profession seem to live longer than others in the general public. So you've probably picked a very good profession.... longevity wise.

In a somewhat related matter, I remember seeing the great rag pianist Eubie Blake as the guest musician on Saturday night live way back in march of 1979. He was 92 at the time. I remember thinking that he looked very frail.....until he started playing.

Here is Dave Brubeck performing at the Montreal Jazz Festival in 2009. He was 89 at the time.

And since I mentioned it. Here is a 92 year old Eubie Blake

http://www.myspace.com/video/macgoddess/gregory-hines-eubie-blake/22913880

Edited by SilverEagle