San Antonio Express News article about fans not showing up to game

STE

I think their attendance is still pretty good but it will be interesting to see how that plays out as they start to play better competition.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/Are-UTSA-students-seceding-as-losses-keep-3994969.php?cmpid=twitter

I don't think their attendance is "pretty good". I think it's great. From what I've seen in two years at Apogee it would take a Notre Dame game to fill the place, and ND would have to furnish 2/3 of the fans
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There is no arguing that SA has been supporting UTSA as they have started up the program. Based on their fan support, they took the right approach with their scheduling and produced a nice amount of wins for a start up program. The real test will be the next couple of years as reality sets in with their new upgraded schedule. Take a look HERE to see their future non conference schedule. I really hope they are able to maintain their current interest level. I think it is good for everyone involved, including UNT that they remain relevant and that their fans continue to show up in droves.

The good news for them is that they have been able to secure some home games against some big name teams. The bad news is that they had to offer a couple of 2-1's. They also have to fix their 2014 schedule since they currently have one to many OOC games. As we know all too well, finding the right balance can take a while.

A start-up gets a measure of grace that others don't get.

1. When they win its "wheeee lookit what they are doing".

2. When they lose its "well they've only been playing a couple years."

3. Start-ups get new dollars that they weren't getting before with some people buying in because that new program is seen as a good civic amenity. That takes away pressure to worry about making budget year in and year that burdens many programs scheduling.

4. Start ups market like crazy and offer ticket deals programs worried about budget would never offer. Then they tout those crowds to generate buzz.

5. Start ups don't have to deal with, "I went to a game five years ago and some team I'd never heard of pounded you."

6. Start ups don't deal with, "Why aren't you lower level? I saw the score and the #2 team in America ripped you up."

7. Start ups just don't have to contend with past negative perceptions.

Let UTSA go through four or five sub .500 seasons in CUSA and see what happens. UAB attendance has fallen quite a bit from the heady days when they were brand new to CUSA.

• Upvote 4