Why is everyone so down?

We are a middle of the pack Sunbelt team at best. We are a little above FAU,FIU,and USA,and on par with ULL and Troy. We certainly are not as good as MTSU,W.K.,La.Monroe, and probably A.State. It would appear we will be 3&5 in conference,which would put us where we were picked preseason,7th.W.K. and La. Monroe did not build their programs over night, and neither will we.The new coach at A-State inherited a good team from Freeze, who went on to Old Miss. Compare that to what Dodge left Mac. Our new stadium did not give us a recruiting advantage, but did level the playing field. We need to look past our last 2 years in the Belt,and first 2 years in CUSA,which probably won't be much better. This is a 5 year project. While we might not like it, we need to accept it,support the program, and if success comes sooner so much the better.Just an old man's opinion, class of 66'.

If this is what we are producing in year 4 and DMac is still the head coach at the end of that season, we will have proven that we, as a fan base, AD, and university, have learned nothing from the past 80 some odd years (hyperbole) of athletics mistakes.

Entirely possible.

If this is what we are producing in year 4 and DMac is still the head coach at the end of that season, we will have proven that we, as a fan base, AD, and university, have learned nothing from the past 80 some odd years (hyperbole) of athletics mistakes.

Entirely possible.

Don't disagree - but we aren't even at the end of year 2.

Don't disagree - but we aren't even at the end of year 2.

Oh, I know. I just don't buy the whole "5 year plan" crap. Neither does the entire FBS college football world.

Show marked improvement in year three, win in year 4. If not, goodbye. I don't care if you are Knute Rockne, Eddie Robinson, or John Gagliardi.

That the way college football go.

Edited by UNT90

Oh, I know. I just don't buy the whole "5 year plan" crap. Neither does the entire FBS college football world.

Show marked improvement in year three, win in year 4. If not, goodbye. I don't care if you are Knute Rockne, Eddie Robinson, or John Gagliardi.

That the way college football go.

An analysis of Mac's ability in year three, good or bad results, is going to be a little distorted with the switch to C-USA coming that year.

An analysis of Mac's ability in year three, good or bad results, is going to be a little distorted with the switch to C-USA coming that year.

uh....if the goal is to be competitive in the belt then you should have stayed in the belt

it is not like you are moving to the Big 12 or the SEC or even the ACC.....you are moving to a conference that you thought you should have been in and been competitive in for over a decade.....now suddenly you get there and the idea is to start at the bottom and work your way up?

in addition to the things that Jim from 1995 mentioned in his second paragraph you also sat around and watched several more teams move up to D1-A in Texas and while the stadium is nice and the student fee helps they only get the program into the 70s out of 120+ D1-A programs when it comes to budget and most of that money is going to pay for the stadium it is not some huge new windfall of cash to do a bunch of things with and you sat around and watched SMU and UH and TCU continue to put distance between you and them and watched UTSA jump right into the CUSA that you have been longing for for a decade and TxState in their second year of D1-A ball will be in the conference that it took years for north Texas to find a home in and that conference might actually finally be improving while CUSA is adding move ups and losing their top programs and watching other top programs fold rapidly

the line to compete keeps moving it is not static and if you think "we are here" well "there" has moved on from "here"

state funding is not flowing in like in the old days to keep tuition low so athletics fees did not show up as much on the bottom line of tuition cost, construction cost while cheap are still growing faster than inflation because of the nature of the construction business, the cost of raw materials, safety and enviro regulations and on and on......so schools that built and paid for a large portion of their facilities decades ago are at an advantage even today especially if they can remotely rely on the quality of product on the field VS the amenities in the stands and vijeo (shout out to Jerry) boards...not to mention decades of alumni that moved on long ago

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

uh....if the goal is to be competitive in the belt then you should have stayed in the belt

it is not like you are moving to the Big 12 or the SEC or even the ACC.....you are moving to a conference that you thought you should have been in and been competitive in for over a decade.....now suddenly you get there and the idea is to start at the bottom and work your way up?

Exactly. We SHOULD be able to be competitive with CUSA already. While they're a step up from the Belt in prestige and talent, it isn't the SEC. I'm not saying I have the expectation to go into CUSA like gangbusters when we're not great even in the Sun Belt, but we damn well better be progressing. I expect IMPROVEMENT next year. I settle, more than I used to, for competitiveness. I can handle losing to MTSU. I can't handle not being competitive.

Meh. No reason to be hatin on UTSA. They happened to be in the right place at the right time. They are a shiny new toy right now in an area that has not had something previously. Good for them.

It is too bad it took this long, but we finally find ourselves in a conference with 3 other Texas schools. We will receive additional conference games against schools with better name recognition than our current conference. Plus we have an upcoming series with smoo and a service academy. We could potentially add another local series with TxSt if we want.

We have finally made a financial commitment to be able to attract and retain a quality coaching staff, regardless of whether or not you think the current staff is the right one. Recruiting seems to be heading in the right direction and should only continue to improve with our upcoming CUSA schedule and in state competition.

The positives are everywhere for those willing to look.

• Upvote 1

I would not expect us to be down "for many more years", but at least another two. The only teams in the "New "2013 CUSA we could beat this year are FIU,So.Miss,UAB,UTSA,and maybe UTEP.Its going to take 4to5 years to clean up the mess Mac was handed.

Another two? McCarney will be gone after year 4 if we're still losing. College coaches rarely get 4 and 5 years to build programs anymore.

• Upvote 1

Another two? McCarney will be gone after year 4 if we're still losing. College coaches rarely get 4 and 5 years to build programs anymore.

Doubtful we will still be in this "losing mode" at the end of two more years , and doubtful Coach Mac would be gone.

• Upvote 1

Meh. No reason to be hatin on UTSA. They happened to be in the right place at the right time. They are a shiny new toy right now in an area that has not had something previously. Good for them.

It is too bad it took this long, but we finally find ourselves in a conference with 3 other Texas schools. We will receive additional conference games against schools with better name recognition than our current conference. Plus we have an upcoming series with smoo and a service academy. We could potentially add another local series with TxSt if we want.

We have finally made a financial commitment to be able to attract and retain a quality coaching staff, regardless of whether or not you think the current staff is the right one. Recruiting seems to be heading in the right direction and should only continue to improve with our upcoming CUSA schedule and in state competition.

The positives are everywhere for those willing to look.

+100 We are light years from where we were.

I didn't say that I was down. I just said that I felt down.

The worst part was that we seemed to be improving and then got a strong dose of reality. I didn't see this coming. In some areas we either don't have enough talent or don't want to play backups so that they can gain experience. Unless you are loaded at a position or the backup needs to gain weight, speed, etc. then you play your non-regulars.

When you lose arguably your most exciting player for the season, it's hard to keep your chin up. We'll get over it. It may be next year but eventually we will.

When... if ever you get down, I am going to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very worried about the state of this program. ;)

And I'm not quite sure I used enough verys.

HOF worthy perhaps....Ha! I resemble that comment!!!! :thumbsu: