Let's talk about ULL

aztecskin

I wrote this for the meandering google-er wondering what the fuss is about on Tuesday but I figured I'd post it here because I want to talk about this really important game.

And so help me if I see that Cougar King douche in here I will so . . . . .vote down anything he says. Seriously someone answer his riddle so we can cross the damn bridge.

LINK < --

• Upvote 1

Compare the schedules...LL wins against Lamar 40 - 0; wins against Troy 37-24; Losses against Ok St. 65-24; wins against FIU 48-20; wins against Tulane 41 -13. Personally, I am not impressed with their schedule with the exception of Ok ST. Yea, they beat Troy where we got beat by Troy 14 - 7, but if we did put together our A game in all three games against Troy: offense, defense and special teams against Troy, we beat them handily. Playing sub par, we nearly beat them. If we had this schedule, we have one loss vs Ok St. We play LSU tough where they play their 1st team up till 4 min left in the game and scores late....play K St tough and took them to the edge of the cliff. Play ok against Tex S and win. Don't have a good outing against Troy but still in a spot to win the game. Houston is better than most give credit for and will bowl this year.

This is not going to be an easy game, but it is a game we should win....34 - 17 if all phases of our game plays their A game. I still say we are in a good spot to win SBC and go bowling. This MEAN GREEN team is a good football team and strong leadership.

• Upvote 2

I can't argue with you here. The inconsistency from the passing game is my only concern. ULL is stiff against the run though. FAU did a nice job stopping that. It got weird there. I generally think the defense just ran up against a Houston offense that was too good and too hungry for them to stop, but I'm concerned about a hangover.

I probably am just slightly nervous. Like I said in the post, I really think we have a shot at a SBC win/Bowl game with some luck

Either way, if we can win this game I see us pulling off enough for a bowl game...but to beat both ULM and WKY with the year each team is having would take our team REALLY gellin' like Magellan. Which makes no sense as a simile but you know what I mean. This is possibly the toughest the Sun Belt has played since its inception, so if we were to win the conference I would be extremely happy and impressed. However, I can see us making it to the upper 3 or 4 teams with 6-7 wins as a very realistic expectation.

• Upvote 1

Either way, if we can win this game I see us pulling off enough for a bowl game...but to beat both ULM and WKY with the year each team is having would take our team REALLY gellin' like Magellan. Which makes no sense as a simile but you know what I mean. This is possibly the toughest the Sun Belt has played since its inception, so if we were to win the conference I would be extremely happy and impressed. However, I can see us making it to the upper 3 or 4 teams with 6-7 wins as a very realistic expectation.

Totally. A given week is it's own monster, but I do believe in momentum -- that is to say if we can build up some positive energy by getting a good win tonight, we can use it going into the other Belt games. Those teams are good, but not much better than KSU, LSU nor even Troy.

We have to get lucky and we have to be playing well.

ULL is good football team, but they are not great. Broadway is an avg QB I would say Derek Thompson is better than he is. The big key to UNT walking away with a win is stopping ULL's ability to run the football. If North Texas can force them into passing situations well then folks I feel pretty good about our chances. ULL is not Houston, they are a team that likes to attack down the field with its passing attack. Of course they may try and take advantage of our corners playing off. We cant let Broadway come away with scrambles for first down on 3rd and long situations. Our defensive line has to do a really good job of collapsing the pocket and containing him. On offense I really think we will be able to run the ball against them. They really arent a physical run stuffing defense, like the stats may suggest. I believe our O-Line will be able to get a good push. I would like to see us use the screen game to our RB's more. Especially in this game, because ULL is a very aggresive defense and they are going to blitz a lot.

I broke down all aspects of this game on my blog.

http://tmgbr.com/2012/10/16/the-breakdown-6/

• Upvote 2

ULL is good football team, but they are not great. Broadway is an avg QB I would say Derek Thompson is better than he is. The big key to UNT walking away with a win is stopping ULL's ability to run the football. If North Texas can force them into passing situations well then folks I feel pretty good about our chances. ULL is not Houston, they are a team that likes to attack down the field with its passing attack. Of course they may try and take advantage of our corners playing off. We cant let Broadway come away with scrambles for first down on 3rd and long situations. Our defensive line has to do a really good job of collapsing the pocket and containing him. On offense I really think we will be able to run the ball against them. They really arent a physical run stuffing defense, like the stats may suggest. I believe our O-Line will be able to get a good push. I would like to see us use the screen game to our RB's more. Especially in this game, because ULL is a very aggresive defense and they are going to blitz a lot.

http://tmgbr.com/201...he-breakdown-6/

Nice writeup! What's your score prediction?

I'm going to go with:

North Texas 23 - ULL 20

I think North Texas is going to turn it into an ugly sluggish fight. I joked about on my blog, but it needs to be like a fight scene from "Rocky". I just believe that UNT is a different team at home, defensively speaking. I think there will be enough of a crowd there to keep the players excited. Plus I like to pick a team that backed into a corner, and wouldnt most UNT fans agree thats exactly where we are are. Add that to being at home, nationally televised game and all the other hoopla and it just gives me the feel that UNT is going find a way to pull this out. Plus look how UNT did last year when coming off a bye week. They won twice, granted this was a small bye week, but you give a guy like McCarney extra time to prepare and well I'm going to take it. Anyways it should be a real fun game to watch at least for old school football fans!

• Upvote 1

Broadway--139.8 QBR--Thompson--122.8-- He's better? Really?

NT -174.3 YPG Rushing---UL-190.4 YPG

Nt-19.5 PPG-- UL- 38 PPG

Nt-205 YPG passing--UL 220.8 YPG

Ul-Rush Defense -107 YPG 3.3 YPR Couldnt find a NT stat because it is lower than 50th

Sorry to confuse you with facts and stats. You can now go back to dream land.

Good luck to you guys tonight. It should be an excellent game.

[quote name='Mean_Gree

n09' timestamp='1350398418' post='677606']

http://tmgbr.com/201...he-breakdown-6/

Edited by AllCajunAlltheTime

My only optimism is for the basketball program. I don't think you can read too far into the schedules, winning and losing takes a pyschological toll on college athletes more than NFL players because NFL guys it is there job. ULL is a much better football team on paper and they can score a lot of points. The Tulane team they beat just beat SMU, granted Tulane still sucks, but they don't normally ever win any games. The total of the game tonight is set at 56.5, to say ULL will not score 30 would be selling them short. I am sorry guys my heart says NORTH TEXAS of course, but if you want what my brain says ULL will win by 10 points easily. Lets hope I am wrong.

Like we said on the podcast, ULL is ranked higher in some stats but they've only played one good team where we've played two top 10 BCS squads and Houston.

Our defense is better than their offense. Our offense can run on their defense . . . but only if we get some help from the passing game.

Also, we have prettier women.

• Upvote 2

Never underestimate homefield advantage...Troy has a good offense and we held them to 14 at home...

Sir the away from home teams have less pressure on them. Sometimes seems more often than not home field backfires. I hope it is not the case but I think Cajuns will be scoring in droves tonight on the defense. :(....its funny how a few good games not in the spotlight can warp a public perception, this game is on ESPN these cajuns don't get on there often they want a good showing and to go to 5-1.

• Downvote 1

Sir the away from home teams have less pressure on them. Sometimes seems more often than not home field backfires. I hope it is not the case but I think Cajuns will be scoring in droves tonight on the defense. :(....its funny how a few good games not in the spotlight can warp a public perception, this game is on ESPN these cajuns don't get on there often they want a good showing and to go to 5-1.

Explain how we held Troy's amazing offense to 14 at home? Playing at home is a massive advantage. Ask the Aggies.

Like we said on the podcast, ULL is ranked higher in some stats but they've only played one good team where we've played two top 10 BCS squads and Houston.

Our defense is better than their offense. Our offense can run on their defense . . . but only if we get some help from the passing game.

Also, we have prettier women.

Like I am saying tho, wins are wins and losses are losses. You really think KSt and LSU got up for the games against are beloved North Texas boys? I don't. I really hope UNT pulls it out but I just do not see it. I promise just wait for basketball we should win conf with ease.

Like I am saying tho, wins are wins and losses are losses. You really think KSt and LSU got up for the games against are beloved North Texas boys? I don't. I really hope UNT pulls it out but I just do not see it. I promise just wait for basketball we should win conf with ease.

Okay, we get it, basketball should be good but this forum is for football not for our amazing basketball team.

Broadway--139.8 QBR--Thompson--122.8-- He's better? Really?

NT -174.3 YPG Rushing---UL-190.4 YPG

Nt-19.5 PPG-- UL- 38 PPG

Nt-205 YPG passing--UL 220.8 YPG

Ul-Rush Defense -107 YPG 3.3 YPR Couldnt find a NT stat because it is lower than 50th

Sorry to confuse you with facts and stats. You can now go back to dream land.

Good luck to you guys tonight. It should be an excellent game.

ULL's FBS opponents are 8-16, UNT's FBS opponents are 19-12. ULL played a mid-level Big12 school and was down 44-0 at the half. I do think ULL has a better team, but those stats are not exactly indicative of what will happen. UNT has played a much harder schedule. ULL would be 3-3 at best with UNT's schedule.

Okay, we get it, basketball should be good but this forum is for football not for our amazing basketball team.

Your right Im sorry I get carried away. Ill stick too football from here on out. I am making comments about football tho. I am just scared of Broaway "JOE" of the Cajuns I don't think he is a slouch by any means, prove me wrong.