REGARDLESS

island eagle

Regardless of how the season has progressed or what you may think of the coaches or players, one thing is VERY clear. Next Tuesday, North Texas and the program will be getting priceless National exposure with almost no competing football competition.

All students, fans and alumni need to be out in force to make a statement to the world that our program is serious and is bound for better things. A good turnout will do wonders at advancing the image of our school and our program, as well as influencing future recruits. This is something we can all contribute to!

• Upvote 4

Next Tuesday, North Texas and the program will be getting priceless National exposure with almost no competing football competition.

This. Americans love football, and ESPN is one of the first places channel flippers go. No competition is huge and we could get a lot of people, potential high school recruits as well, who would not otherwise watch us to see a UNT football game. Last week was big, but this one might be bigger for other reasons.

• Upvote 2

Not sure how much a full stadium will help when we are getting drilled by 4 TD's, but I will be there for sure.

It is certainly possible that we get drilled, but I really don't think it will happen. We have one common opponent with UL, which is Troy. UL was favored by 1.5 on the road @Troy. They won 37-24. I am guessing that they will be favored by around 6 at our place (just a guess on my part, could be more/less).

If you compare the two teams numbers so far this season:

Total Offense: UL - 411, UNT - 382

Passing Offense: UL - 221, UNT - 207

Rushing Offense: UL - 190, UNT - 175

Offensive Scoring: UL - 38, UNT - 20

Total Defense: UL - 402, UNT - 396

Passing Defense: UL - 295, UNT - 219

Rushing Defense: UL - 107, UNT - 177

Scoring Defense: UL - 24, UNT - 26

They do not have a huge advantage overall. The troubling thing is that on paper they have a pretty strong run defense, but appear that they could be exploited through the air (not exactly a strength of ours, but still an opportunity).

They have been extremely efficient in scoring points when compared to the total yardage. This usually implies very few turnovers and converting most of your red zone opportunities into TDs instead of FGs. Here is another opportunity for our defense to step up.

If they play to their averages and we do the same, they probably win, but it would not take a lot for UNT to pull out the victory. I could see a game more like the Troy game than the Houston game.

Edited by CurveItAround

It is certainly possible that we get drilled, but I really don't think it will happen. We have one common opponent with UL, which is Troy. UL was favored by 1.5 on the road @Troy. They won 37-24. I am guessing that they will be favored by around 6 at our place (just a guess on my part, could be more/less).

If you compare the two teams numbers so far this season:

Total Offense: UL - 411, UNT - 382

Passing Offense: UL - 221, UNT - 207

Rushing Offense: UL - 190, UNT - 175

Offensive Scoring: UL - 38, UNT - 20

Total Defense: UL - 402, UNT - 396

Passing Defense: UL - 295, UNT - 219

Rushing Defense: UL - 107, UNT - 177

Scoring Defense: UL - 24, UNT - 26

They do not have a huge advantage overall. The troubling thing is that on paper they have a pretty strong run defense, but appear that they could be exploited through the air (not exactly a strength of ours, but still an opportunity).

They have been extremely efficient in scoring points when compared to the total yardage. This usually implies very few turnovers and converting most of your red zone opportunities into TDs instead of FGs. Here is another opportunity for our defense to step up.

If they play to their averages and we do the same, they probably win, but it would not take a lot for UNT to pull out the victory. I could see a game more like the Troy game than the Houston game.

we can't count on Offensive Stats for UNT making us look good when our Red Zone Offense HAS TO BE the worst in the SBC. That is what counts and we stink at it.

we can't count on Offensive Stats for UNT making us look good when our Red Zone Offense HAS TO BE the worst in the SBC. That is what counts and we stink at it.

I don't disagree that we have struggled in the red zone, which is kind of odd. Usually it is the spread offenses that struggle when they get in the red zone, not teams that try to run it down your throat.

• Upvote 1

I agree with this. I'll be in the student section pulling for the Mean Green!

Sorry, but we have won before on TV (not national) with empty stands and it did not advance the program. Certainly winning helps, but winning before a large, enthusiastic crowd is what really impresses other people.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but we have won before on TV (not national) with empty stands and it did not advance the program. Certainly winning helps, but winning before a large, enthusiastic crowd is what really impresses other people.

Who you beat is the most important part of the equation. Beating FAU on national TV dues nothing. Truth be told, beating LaLa won't do that much, except in head to head recruiting.

Gotta beat someone that matters.

• Upvote 4

Who you beat is the most important part of the equation. Beating FAU on national TV dues nothing. Truth be told, beating LaLa won't do that much, except in head to head recruiting.

And that is how you eventually get a ranked football team.

Hope I don't lose my native Texan citzenship with this, but I hope our future conference-mate La Tech beats TAMU and goes higher up in the polls.

North Texas needs Top 25 teams coming into Apogee Stadium in the near future no matter what CUSA school that would be.

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree that beating a single team does nothing. Even if we beat an AQ team once, it would not matter. Look at what happen with ULM when they beat Alabama, once.

Step 1. Schedule contains conference plus non top 25 non AQ teams home/home, if we MUST play a money game, limit 1 per year.

Step 2. Are we mainting a .500 or better record? If yes goto step 3 else stay at step 1

Step 3. Schedule contains conference plus non AQ teams home/ home, plus lower rung AQ teams home/home, eliminate money games)

Step 4. Are we maintaining a .500 or better record? If yes goto step 5 else goto step 3

Step 5. Schedule contains conference plus top non AQ teams home/home, plus AQ teams home/home or neutral field)

Step 6. Are we maintaining a .500 or better record? If yes continue else goto step 3

Problem is our program is at step one and we want to immediately jump to step 6 and become a ranked team. I don't disagree with the destination, I disagree with our approach. Let's start beating anybody regularly and then we can work our way up to beating somebody that matters.

Edited by CurveItAround

Kids want to be a part of a winning program.

Kids want to get on the field ASAP

Kids want to be a part of a class that turns a program around.

Kids want to play the big boys

Kids want to play in front of crowds

Kids want to play for coaches that get them to the NFL

Kids want to play close to home

Kids want to get as far away from Mom as possible.

Am I missing anything? Just want to ask ya'll, because we are the experts here.

Kids want to be a part of a winning program.

Kids want to get on the field ASAP

Kids want to be a part of a class that turns a program around.

Kids want to play the big boys

Kids want to play in front of crowds

Kids want to play for coaches that get them to the NFL

Kids want to play close to home

Kids want to get as far away from Mom as possible.

Am I missing anything? Just want to ask ya'll, because we are the experts here.

good husbands and fathers

• Upvote 1