New Baylor Stadium

SilverEagle

I think there is a bit of confusion on the public funds. The stadium will reside in a TIF zone that was set up in the late 80s. There will not be one additional penny in tax put on the shoulders of Waco citizens, businesses, or visitors. In short, the TIF takes property taxes from new projects developed within it's borders and puts them into a fund to help gentrify and encourage future development. There is no secret that downtown Waco, until the last 10 years or so, was absolute hell. The city had to provide services for the area but low property values (which, in turn, meant low tax revenue) basically meant the area was a cash flow loss to the City on an annual basis.

For the first 15 years, the TIF in Waco saw little activity. In the past decade that has changed and there has been increased development downtown which has, in turn, funded the TIF which, in turn, gives more out for development. The TIF has already given out multi-millions to many developers for other projects in an attempt to build up the area. And, slowly, it is working. However, there is no doubt that the project still needs a major catalyst to really push major development in the area.

This TIF money going to Baylor isn't going to build the brick and mortar but rather, will help put in the infrastructure (roads, sewer, electric, and riverwalk) necessary for the city to really capitalize on it.

All I can say is that they better pray very hard that Texas doesn't decide to go out west to the Pac-whatever. Because if they do, they'll take Tech, OU, and OSU with them and then it will be the nicest stadium in the MWC or CUSA.

At this point I'm not sure why they wouldn't take Baylor over Tech. Superior at every sport right now and about to have a better stadium. I guess being a private Baptist school might have something to do with it.

At this point I'm not sure why they wouldn't take Baylor over Tech. Superior at every sport right now and about to have a better stadium. I guess being a private Baptist school might have something to do with it.

I don't think Baylor's religious/politcal views will ever allow them to get admitted out West. BYU couldn't get admitted and they are a geographical fit. Sure, Baylor will play on Sundays, unlike BYU, but BYU has been historically much better at football than Baylor and still never got admitted. No CA team or Oregon or Washington will ever vote to let Baylor in. If the Pac-12 expands, its because they finally get Texas and some combination with them, most likely Tech, OU, and OSU. KU and KSU would be ahead of Baylor, too Baylor has had an unbelievable year in sports, but that doesn't add alumni or enrollment to the TV networks.