Rockwall hires UNT alumnus Blakeman

GreenBat

Rockwall hires UNT alumnus Blakeman

ROCKWALL — Former North Texas volleyball player Nicole Blakeman was hired this week as head volleyball coach for Rockwall High School.

Blakeman, who played for UNT under the last name Barzilla before marrying, graduated from UNT in 1993 and then went on to Clear Lake High School. After serving as an assistant for one year, she took the head coaching job and went on an eight-year run, picking up her 200th victory in 2002.

Rockwall athletic director Mark Elam jumped at the opportunity to hire Blakeman.

"We’re excited about her being here," said Elam. "I just liked her presence and her passion for the sport. She was successful at Clear Lake, and she’s just the type of person we need to come in and help us. We’re a growing community, and our girls track team and basketball team have both seen success. I think our volleyball team is ready for that type of progression."

Blakeman said she was ready for the challenge.

"It’s a rebuilding program, and I thought that would be a great challenge," she said. "It’s a great area, and I’ll have a full-time assistant coach.

— Staff report