Athletic Fee Increase

UNT90

I don't think it has since prior to the building of the stadium. But from what I understand, if we want to excel in C-USA I think it needs to. I would be interested to see where our fee lies in comparison to the other Public schools. The privates ALL have big war chests and endowments so they are different animals.

Dallas Green what say you sir?

http://essc.unt.edu/...s.html#otherfee

tuition rates are already set for fall of 2012 and spring of 2013

if you look at the list of fees you can see that there are a couple of fees listed that start in fall of 2012 or have been increased for fall of 2012 and if you look at the PDF for fall of 2012 spring 2013 tuition it is already set from one to 20 hours for the fall 2012 and spring 2013 with fees included

if they were going to increase the athletics fee it would have been done when the other fees were increased or implemented and before the tuition for the two upcoming long semesters was published

the reason it was not increased is to keep overall education cost down

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't think it has since prior to the building of the stadium. But from what I understand, if we want to excel in C-USA I think it needs to. I would be interested to see where our fee lies in comparison to the other Public schools. The privates ALL have big war chests and endowments so they are different animals.

Dallas Green what say you sir?

Well, we know that both UTSA and TSSM are going to charge their students the state max. I believe that the BOR can raise NT's in increments of 1% until it is at the max also, however I am not sure anyone understands the limitations of the state approval which is tied to the stadium construction.

I think NT should raise the student athletic fee to the extent they can, but it is also time to substantially increase other revenue streams. The stadium was a necessary cost, but the hard facts are that by using such a big part of available resources on it, operating funds suffer. It is apparently a closely guarded secret, how much outside of the student athletic fees was actually raised for the stadium. Naming fees and premium seating aside; how much was actually donated for construction. My guess, not much or it would have been announced.

NT like most lower tier universities are primarily financed by their students and state funds. In Texas, no direct state funds, so it is operating revenues, donations and students. NT is going to have to get a lot better attendance and donation support to grow; students fees are limited and there is definitely an ethics issue on how much you can rely on student funds.

As aside in today's DMN, there was an article on tutiton increase by the local schools. NT was at the top in the amont increased, but suprising to me is still a lot cheaper than fellow state schools; UTD and UTA.

• Upvote 2

Texas Tech is 52 dollars starting at 4 credit hours and stays at 52 dollars for unlimited hours above that

TxState is 16 dollars per credit hour starting at 1 hour and is included for every additional hour after that

UTSA is 17 dollars per credit hour starting at one credit hour to a max of 204 dollars

TAMU is optional.....for football only for 200 dollars or all events 325 all events but football 175

UT has an optional all sports package

I believe UTEP voted down their increase it was proposed at 10 dollars for fall 2011 going up 2 dollars in 2012 and 2013

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1

This fee should be raised the maximum amount EVERY time it is eligible to be raised.

Otherwise, we are just not being serious about our athletic programs. Yes, outside revenue raising also needs increasing, but we should not be ignoring ANY opportunity to raise funding for athletics.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This fee should be raised the maximum amount EVERY time it is eligible to be raised.

Otherwise, we are just not being serious about our athletic programs. Yes, outside revenue raising also needs increasing, but we should not be ignoring ANY opportunity to raise funding for athletics.

I agree. I mean I'm not paying it or anything.

• Upvote 6

Maybe the university didn't want the athletic department to raise it in the same year they are raising tuition. I'd be shocked if it didn't increase next year with the move to C-USA, and the athletic department tie the increase to the additions of baseball and another women's sport.

• Upvote 1

Well, we know that both UTSA and TSSM are going to charge their students the state max. I believe that the BOR can raise NT's in increments of 1% until it is at the max also, however I am not sure anyone understands the limitations of the state approval which is tied to the stadium construction.

I think NT should raise the student athletic fee to the extent they can, but it is also time to substantially increase other revenue streams. The stadium was a necessary cost, but the hard facts are that by using such a big part of available resources on it, operating funds suffer. It is apparently a closely guarded secret, how much outside of the student athletic fees was actually raised for the stadium. Naming fees and premium seating aside; how much was actually donated for construction. My guess, not much or it would have been announced.

NT like most lower tier universities are primarily financed by their students and state funds. In Texas, no direct state funds, so it is operating revenues, donations and students. NT is going to have to get a lot better attendance and donation support to grow; students fees are limited and there is definitely an ethics issue on how much you can rely on student funds.

As aside in today's DMN, there was an article on tutiton increase by the local schools. NT was at the top in the amont increased, but suprising to me is still a lot cheaper than fellow state schools; UTD and UTA.

I was of the understanding the athletic department could raise the fee by 10% each year, until it was maxed out.

• Upvote 1

So the $23 million athletic budget for 2012-13 that people have been talking about last year and this year is incorrect? I thought the extra $10 per hour fee was going to help move UNT up the food chain?

I thought the same thing, DG....................but didn't the "passed" student referendum vote that got the stadium financed & jump-started have additional funding for our future athletic budgets, too?

GMG!

• Upvote 1

I was of the understanding the athletic department could raise the fee by 10% each year, until it was maxed out.

You are right I mixed dollars per hour and percentages. The max is $20 an hour per state, NT is at $10 an hour and it is my understanding it can be raised 10% a year or $1 the first year.

I agree. I mean I'm not paying it or anything.

I pay for plenty.

The point is several other new conference mates of ours are already at the $20 limit. We need to get there as quickly as possible.

It's a free country. If a prospective student or even a current student doesn't like it, they can go to or transfer to another school.

Or, I mean, we could just keep doing things the way we have the past 50 years. I mean, it's worked out so well, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

True and I believe the State of Texas has determined the ethical limit to be $20. So a full time UNT student pays $300 a year to fund athletics currently and a UTSA student pays $510 and a Texas State student pays $480. So maxed out a full time student will pay $600 a year. I'm torn on this but my final answer is that I think we have decided to go down the athletics route and the fee should be maximized, I don't think $10 per hour is going to get it done in CUSA. We need to be "all in".

I too am shocked that an opportunity for a fee increase was not taken.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

True and I believe the State of Texas has determined the ethical limit to be $20. So a full time UNT student pays $300 a year to fund athletics currently and a UTSA student pays $510 and a Texas State student pays $480. So maxed out a full time student will pay $600 a year. I'm torn on this but my final answer is that I think we have decided to go down the athletics route and the fee should be maximized, I don't think $10 per hour is going to get it done in CUSA. We need to be "all in".

I too am shocked that an opportunity for a fee increase was not taken.

the max a UTSA student would pay would be 408 per year for the fall and spring semester.....theirs is capped at 204 per semester

God forbid our AD or someone at UNT start an Athletic Foundation and go out and actually solicit donors and donations. The Mean Green Club helps, but doesn't really get us the big money.

You know the irony is that it was announced when RV was hired that he was selected in part because of his fund raising ability. That is far from easy at NT, but it is the main area that I think RV has really struggled with. There is a lot more to fund raising than just upping the donation requirements for premium seating.

I have stated before, that I think it is time to sever athletic major fund raising from RV's responsibilities. There have been too many dropped balls and very few big donations in RV's tenure. Create a position reporting to Rawlings with the only responsibility of securing major donations. If he or she succeeds, than great; if not get someone else. You would not have to worry about disrupting the rest of the AD functions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm amused at the enthusiasm to be "all-in" with an athletics fee that few/not all of us actually pay.

I here ya man. As a parent who will be sending his first of three children to college in 3 years cost is very much an issue. I don't think anyone is "enthused" - more like grim reality if we want to compete in the current environment. I just think we need to maximize everything we can and unfortunately that falls on the students and parents of students.

You know the irony is that it was announced when RV was hired that he was selected in part because of his fund raising ability. That is far from easy at NT, but it is the main area that I think RV has really struggled with. There is a lot more to fund raising than just upping the donation requirements for premium seating.

I have stated before, that I think it is time to sever athletic major fund raising from RV's responsibilities. There have been too many dropped balls and very few big donations in RV's tenure. Create a position reporting to Rawlings with the only responsibility of securing major donations. If he or she succeeds, than great; if not get someone else. You would not have to worry about disrupting the rest of the AD functions.

up to and until the donations by the Vortemans and Charn RV was responsible for some of the largest donations in the history of the entire university....not just the athletics, but the entire university

the Wornack Tennis Center, the Goldfields, and Mattress Mac (even though he was a DD friend)

the entire university and "system" suffers from a lack of donations and poor fundraising and it starts at the top with the idiot lee jackson that was actually hired because he was a "heavy hitter" and it goes on to his buddy bill lively that ran out on UNT after 9 months when he promised to stay a year to three years

the turn over in leadership at UNT does not help that is for sure and I am sure it will continue and the divergent priorities between pulling stuff out of Denton, trying to start things that are not needed in downtown dallas, and having the ghetto campus eat resources sure does not help either

RV was around for at least 3 million+ donations to the athletics program and the 20 million deal with Apogee which was about 15 million in cash and 5 million or so in "services" to the university

I would find it hard to blame the AD of a university for poor fundraising when he has improved so much since he has been here even before the student fees and when he was around for several donations that were near the previous record for the largest donations in the history of the entire university along with the naming rights deal from some company most people have never heard of and when the entire university and pseudo system sucks at fundraising in a huge way starting with the "heavy hitter" lee the idiot

• Upvote 2

Our traditional liberal arts school just doesn't graduate many people that go on to be wealthy. To generate the type of funds we need, our focus must be on improving our Business and Science programs, and I think letting the School of Law go to UNT-Dallas was a big mistake.

• Upvote 1