Jones, Williams, and Patton

Andrew

All three players have permission from the NCAA to play immediately if they transfer... This could be why their twitter posts claimed they had a hard decision. They can go to any division one school and practice/play immediately. This could pose a problem rather Mitchel stays or goes...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

There is no way that's true,if so ...l prove it

I am 100 percent confident that is what Cjris told me... I may even have one of the messages sent to me saved but I will have to get on my laptop and off the iPad.... This is from his lips....

No. It would have to be a hardship waiver. Usually to be closer to home, which they really can't be any closer then NT.

Or a blanket institutional waiver for someone leaving a school under APR penalty (like Patton coming here last year from postseason ineligible Grambling).

There is absolutely no rule I'm aware of that would grant any such waiver, especially not for everyone we just so happen to be afraid of potentially bailing out if Tony leaves.

Even if someone wants to transfer because of a coach that left, they'll have to do it under NCAA rules with a sit out year (if they go to a D1).

STOP IT WITH THE G.D.'d TWITTER UPDATES!!!

You know what's worse than a bunch of 19 year-olds putting vague and cryptic messages out there? A bunch of stupid, old, white men trying to decipher them and then posting their "expert" conclusions on an internet message board...a message board already rife with angst.

• Upvote 6

you ready for next year man? I hear we have some good names in the coaching pool

Chris Jones

Yesterday

Chris Jones

I don't know if i'm Staying

Yesterday

ah

but if ya go you would have to sit out a year

unless you go to Juco or NAIA (i hope i spelled that right)

but why leave? Miss coach Jones or what?

Chris Jones

Yesterday

Chris Jones

Well since coach left i wouldn't have to sit out.. NCAA already gave us permission but yeah i just might

Yesterday

ah ok, I was not sure how that worked... Last I heard Mitchel is staying though and if he does Tim Mcmahon has an article on espn.com saying UNT could be a top 25 team in the nation next year (that was about a month ago)

also where would you go?

Chris Jones

Yesterday

Chris Jones

Yeah i heard about that article a couple of times, buy i don't know what Tony will do that's my big broo though.. I don't know undecided

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Not true the new coach and unt would have to release them now while they are still considered freshman if they want to transfer without getting that release they have to sit out a year. As far as Patton he probably can play right away but why would he leave or any of them if they don't know what's gonna happen. I'm believing that they stay togather it makes more sense unless we get a true jerk of a coach

STOP IT WITH THE G.D.'d TWITTER UPDATES!!!

You know what's worse than a bunch of 19 year-olds putting vague and cryptic messages out there? A bunch of stupid, old, white men trying to decipher them and then posting their "expert" conclusions on an internet message board...a message board already rife with angst.

Racist. <_<

Serious question though? If Patton were to leave it would have to be for a professional league somewhere right? He does not have another year to sit on a bench somewhere, and I think the automatic eligibility thing is a big misunderstanding somewhere.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

well I am just stating what I was told... I am not as "in touch" with this team as I was was the others... I have not actually played against any of the new guys... my era ends with Holmen and Alzee because I spent a little too long in college. But I used to get around at the rec and scrimmage with/against the team at times with my friend gene. I go off what I know and true I do not get around like I did a few years ago but this is what I know...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok, that's enough.

Here is the basic handbook on transfers:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2011.pdf

For anyone who can't be bothered to read...There are no exceptions for a D1 to D1 transfer in men's basketball other than a hardship exemption. Unless we decide to stop sponsoring the sport of men's basketball or end up ineligible for the postseason, the rules don't go away. A coaching change not only doesn't guarantee immediate eligibility... It doesn't even guarantee a scholarship release if the school doesn't grant it. If North Texas decides not to let any scholarship athlete out of their commitment, they'll have to pay their own way during their sit year at whatever destination D1 school they choose.

Whatever any player thinks they may or may not have permission to do... Without some grounds for a hardship exemption, they will indeed have to sit out a year.

Topic locked. Don't turn this into some sort of paranoid situation with everyone freaking out over something not possible per NCAA regulations.