alliance and sun belt expansion news from Dan McCarney

Harry

A source told me yesterday that the Alliance has ruled out expanding to 24 teams, and will focus on either 18, 20 or 22. It’s widely assumed that UTEP will be switched from C-USA to the Mountain West group, which makes sense as there are far more viable candidates on the eastern side of the country. With one football-only member in Hawaii, the Alliance will very likely add another in the C-USA division to balance out the league.

Say the Alliance decides to go big at 22. UTEP slides over from C-USA, Utah State and San Jose State are plucked from the WAC, and there’s your Mountain West division comprising 10 full members, plus Hawaii in football only.

That would require four additions on the C-USA side, including one in football only. This is strictly educated guesswork, but I continue to believe that North Texas (based in a key Texas market), Louisiana Tech (strong competitive success) and Florida International (good market, based in the Eastern time zone) will be the top three choices.

Read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2012/03/your-daily-re-alignment-speculation/

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I see it: There are currently 16 members in the Alliance. Based on how many members they end up going with will determine UNT's chances of getting invited to the new conference. Based on the article our biggest competition for one of those spots are: Utah State, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech and FIU.

If the Alliance goes to only 18 members, that leaves 2 spots. Are we one of the top two programs from the list of candidates? I think we have a chance, but I could see them going with 2 of the WAC schools instead.

If the Alliance goes to 20 members, that leaves 4 spots. Are we one of the top four programs under consideration? I think so and like our chances in this scenario.

If the Alliance goes to 22 members, that leaves 6 spots. Are we one of the top six programs under consideration? Yes, without a doubt.

Am I missing anything here?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I see it: There are currently 16 members in the Alliance. Based on how many members they end up going with will determine UNT's chances of getting invited to the new conference. Based on the article our biggest competition for one of those spots are: Utah State, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech and FIU.

If the Alliance goes to only 18 members, that leaves 2 spots. Are we one of the top two programs from the list of candidates? I think we have a chance, but I could see them going with 2 of the WAC schools instead.

If the Alliance goes to 20 members, that leaves 4 spots. Are we one of the top four programs under consideration? I think so and like our chances in this scenario.

If the Alliance goes to 22 members, that leaves 6 spots. Are we one of the top six programs under consideration? Yes, without a doubt.

Am I missing anything here?

I like our chances in any of these scenarios. This is all about TV money, and with our market, we can bring some of that. Besides, even in the 18 team configuration, two WAC schools in the west means that UTEP is east and possibly New Mexico is east as well. That doesn't seem to make much sense. Even if they add one in the west (USU or SJSU), they will likely add another in the east, and I like our chances there.

It seems that he's saying if they go to 22 teams there would be 10 in the MWC division and 12 in the CUSA division. I would assume the 12 would split into two, six team divisions. So basically, you would have three divisions? How would that work with a championship game? It's interesting ...

I believe that if there are 18 teams there will be two divisions of nine teams each. It's likely that you would play all eight in your division. Then for some cohesion two formerly OOC games could become OOD games assigned by the league office. But, it could be structured to play say six in your division and a couple from the other division as conference play. I don't really expect there to be more than two inter-divisional games per year due to travel costs.

If they decide on 20 teams then four pods of five teams each would make sense. You would play the four teams in your pod plus four games in some combination from the other pod(s).

Somehow I don't see a 22-team conference this soon. However, if they did then I see 11-team divisions. That would still make for more complicated scheduling.

For the replacement of Hawaii in non-football sports my vote, if I had a vote, would go to Denver.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One additional thought that I meant to express on the 22-team scenario.

I believe that the Alliance believes that in a few years Boise State and San Diego State will want to return to their roots. If they hold a spot open for them then they would also need to hold spots in the eastern division for balance.

• Upvote 1

I believe that the Alliance believes that in a few years Boise State and San Diego State will want to return to their roots. If they hold a spot open for them then they would also need to hold spots in the eastern division for balance.

I had the same thought. That's why it's important we get in now and start winning. If the Big East loses their auto-bid I would think Boise and SDSU are no brainers to come back if available. And I would think SMU would want to come back as well wouldn't they?

What are the chances the Big East loses their BCS status?

What's the latest there?

i basically agree with a few exceptions.my top 3 would be UNT,FAU,and FIU. La. Tech brings nothing to the table except a small market thats hard to get to. plus, i can't find out from anyone whether of not Tulane is on board with them. also,i can't think of a school in a decent market that would join Alliance for football.Army was in CUSA at one time[can't rember if it was football only] but bailed. bottom line;the more they add the better chance we have to be included.

Edited by wardly

Which leads to this question: If BSU and SDSU at some point possibly return will SMU and UH want to do the same? :rolleyes:

The irony of some of these potential scenarios could only be made up in Hollywood.:D

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Which leads to this question: If BSU and SDSU at some point possibly return will SMU and UH want to do the same? :rolleyes:

The irony of some of these potential scenarios could only be made up in Hollywood.:D

GMG!

And, sadistically speaking, would UNT vote to have sMUT back in the conference? What goes around, comes around. I say, let the bastards rot!!

• Upvote 3