Bama-LSU

cl_1_2008

Folks, LSU and Alabama were averaging 39 point a game. The only team to stop LSU's offense this year has been Alabama. The only team to stop Alabama's offense this year has been LSU.

If LSU and Alabama win out, and Oklahoma does it's usual thing and beats Oklahoma State, you will see the two best teams play each other again - Alabama and LSU.

And, please...let quarterbacks as "average" at A.J. McCarron and Jarrett Lee begin to sign with North Texas. We should be so unfortunate. :rolleyes:

Oklahoma State's defense is awful. LSU and Bama would blow them out easily.

Boise wouldn't even know what was happening if they were on the same field with defenses that fast. I know this - Kellen Moore would be throwing lots of touchdowns to Bama and LSU defensive backs...on the plays where he wasn't lying on his back.

Stanford's defense would likely keep them in the game for a half. If it's not LSU or Alabama, either versus Stanford would be the only other matchup that wouldn't end up in a blowout.

The dark horse is, surprise, Oklahoma. If Florida State and Tulsa win out, they win out, and LSU loses a game, OU might be able to sneak in. That's a ton of ifs considering FSU's last three games are against Miami, Virginia, and Florida. All winnable games because each is a average as the other this year. But, still, a tough run.

Tulsa...I'll admit Tulsa has surprised me without Charles Clay, Damaris Johnson, and their old coach, I thought they were cooked. As it is, they haven't folded, and should beat Marshall and UTEP to set up a showdown with Houston in Friday, November 25 for all the C-USA West marbles. They'd then have to beat Southern Miss for the C-USA title.

Again, all of the ifs makes OU a dark horse because their one loss was to such a lame team, one that may not even get to a bowl game.

Folks, LSU and Alabama were averaging 39 point a game. The only team to stop LSU's offense this year has been Alabama. The only team to stop Alabama's offense this year has been LSU.

If LSU and Alabama win out, and Oklahoma does it's usual thing and beats Oklahoma State, you will see the two best teams play each other again - Alabama and LSU.

And, please...let quarterbacks as "average" at A.J. McCarron and Jarrett Lee begin to sign with North Texas. We should be so unfortunate. :rolleyes:

Oklahoma State's defense is awful. LSU and Bama would blow them out easily.

Boise wouldn't even know what was happening if they were on the same field with defenses that fast. I know this - Kellen Moore would be throwing lots of touchdowns to Bama and LSU defensive backs...on the plays where he wasn't lying on his back.

Stanford's defense would likely keep them in the game for a half. If it's not LSU or Alabama, either versus Stanford would be the only other matchup that wouldn't end up in a blowout.

The dark horse is, surprise, Oklahoma. If Florida State and Tulsa win out, they win out, and LSU loses a game, OU might be able to sneak in. That's a ton of ifs considering FSU's last three games are against Miami, Virginia, and Florida. All winnable games because each is a average as the other this year. But, still, a tough run.

Tulsa...I'll admit Tulsa has surprised me without Charles Clay, Damaris Johnson, and their old coach, I thought they were cooked. As it is, they haven't folded, and should beat Marshall and UTEP to set up a showdown with Houston in Friday, November 25 for all the C-USA West marbles. They'd then have to beat Southern Miss for the C-USA title.

Again, all of the ifs makes OU a dark horse because their one loss was to such a lame team, one that may not even get to a bowl game.

I don't want to see a rematch. I'd rather OU win out and get a shot at one of them. Even without Broyles, OU has enough offense to score on these 2 teams and enough defense to win the game. It's a shame they blew off the Tech game (what a fluke win that's turned out to be for Tech--blown out in consecutive games since beating OU).

I didn't know that. I just know that he's not "average." The kid went into the Bama game 13 TDs to 1 interception. The kid can play. Bama just has a great defense.

I didn't see anyone in this thread call him average. He's a good player, but he's not a top 20 QB, and he hasn't had to be because he doesn't have to throw, and when he does, he doesn't get sacked.

I don't want to see a rematch. I'd rather OU win out and get a shot at one of them. Even without Broyles, OU has enough offense to score on these 2 teams and enough defense to win the game. It's a shame they blew off the Tech game (what a fluke win that's turned out to be for Tech--blown out in consecutive games since beating OU).

The problem is, we've seen OU/Bob Stoops versus SEC before. The 2008 Sooner rolled up 700+ point in the regular season, yet could only muster 14 against Florida.

Ditto 2003, OU's offense got close to 600 in the regular season, but could only put up 14 against Nick Saban's LSU squad.

Although not SEC, the 2004 Sooners scored more than 425 and got whipped by USC, scoring only 19.

In 2000, the year they won it all, they scored 460+ during the regular season, but only put up 13 against Florida State - their lowest output in any Bob Stoops/OU national title game. Why did they win? Stoops' defense shut out FSU's offense and OU won 13-2.

Defense wins championships. OU's offense may be fun to watch. But, playing in the Big 12, it piles up numbers against average defenses. LSU and Bama would throttle Oklahoma.

A better matchup for OU would be a rematch with Boise State. It would draw a ton of media interest nationwide. Watching OU fail again against Saban or LSU would be uninteresting.

I'm hoping for another LSU/Bama game because it's real, old school football. Tough defenses. Love defense alot more than I do offense! Even this year, it's been out defense that has broken open the three games we've won.

Seeing that he's fumbling the QB situation, I'm at least glad that the Mean Green defense is managed well by McCarney and Bowen. Hopefully, they'll one day deliver an equivalent of LSU/Bama-type defenses.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Not interested in seeing a rematch in LSU's backyard. LSU fans are crude...

LSU fans are some of the best you will meet. I am a T-Shirt alum since my wife's family all went to LSU. I brought them to two Mean Green game this season (Houston and Indiana) and they had great things to say about our future. My wife was decked in Green and the life of our HUGE tailgate. UNT can learn from how LSU's alum association conducts business. Don't be so quick to say LSU fans are crude.

GO MEAN GREEN & GEAUX TIGERS!

JRock

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree. And, most schools have crude fans.

I think we've covered this before in recent threads: You don't have to be a crude fan. You don't have to boo, cuss, or act like a jackass to support your school.

It's unfortunate that some people view college football Saturdays as an excuse to go to Drunkytown in public. Now that I've got kids, I see it as more unfortunate than ever.

Still, I doubt LSU fans are any worse than the Texas and OU fans that heartily boo us when we play there. But, you have to understand that for some fans at these schools their penises are so small that they have to overcompensate by booing and jeering obviously overmatched teams. We have some of those small-penised fans.

• Upvote 1

The problem is, we've seen OU/Bob Stoops versus SEC before. The 2008 Sooner rolled up 700+ point in the regular season, yet could only muster 14 against Florida.

Ditto 2003, OU's offense got close to 600 in the regular season, but could only put up 14 against Nick Saban's LSU squad.

Although not SEC, the 2004 Sooners scored more than 425 and got whipped by USC, scoring only 19.

In 2000, the year they won it all, they scored 460+ during the regular season, but only put up 13 against Florida State - their lowest output in any Bob Stoops/OU national title game. Why did they win? Stoops' defense shut out FSU's offense and OU won 13-2.

Defense wins championships. OU's offense may be fun to watch. But, playing in the Big 12, it piles up numbers against average defenses. LSU and Bama would throttle Oklahoma.

A better matchup for OU would be a rematch with Boise State. It would draw a ton of media interest nationwide. Watching OU fail again against Saban or LSU would be uninteresting.

I'm hoping for another LSU/Bama game because it's real, old school football. Tough defenses. Love defense alot more than I do offense! Even this year, it's been out defense that has broken open the three games we've won.

Seeing that he's fumbling the QB situation, I'm at least glad that the Mean Green defense is managed well by McCarney and Bowen. Hopefully, they'll one day deliver an equivalent of LSU/Bama-type defenses.

You're probably right...and rethinking it, losing Broyles is a pretty significant setback for OU. OU was unfortunate not to beat Florida in that 2008 matchup, though. I think they would beat Alabama (their kicking woes cannot be ignored), but probably not LSU....

You're probably right...and rethinking it, losing Broyles is a pretty significant setback for OU. OU was unfortunate not to beat Florida in that 2008 matchup, though. I think they would beat Alabama (their kicking woes cannot be ignored), but probably not LSU....

Only one way to actually know that, but a rematch would prevent it.

• Upvote 1

One obstacle for OU is the Stanford/Oregon situation. If Stanford wins that game, they're unbeaten (barring a surprise setback) and in vs. (probably) LSU. if Oregon wins, they're a 1 loss team with an arguably better win - Stanford - than anything OU has, and a MUCH better loss - LSU - than anything OU has. Barring one of those two slipping up, I don't see how OU gets in.

Also, I know what you're saying fits on paper.... but I've learned my lesson to bet against Boise. Against anyone and anything. Georgia has SEC talent and has turned into a bit of a buzzsaw (look out, LSU... just saying)... and Boise ran them off the field. I'm not saying the Dawgs are LSU, but to imply that poor little Boise would get embarrassed in the national title game is a dangerous proposition.

• Upvote 1

LSU fans are some of the best you will meet. I am a T-Shirt alum since my wife's family all went to LSU. I brought them to two Mean Green game this season (Houston and Indiana) and they had great things to say about our future. My wife was decked in Green and the life of our HUGE tailgate. UNT can learn from how LSU's alum association conducts business. Don't be so quick to say LSU fans are crude.

GO MEAN GREEN & GEAUX TIGERS!

JRock

I'm sure all schools have their good and bad. I just haven't seen the good YET with LSU

It's unfortunate Oklahoma plays in the Big XII. That league allows them to beat up on weaker competition and look great. Kinda like if you find a pretty girl in a small town. She's the prom queen there. But when you send her to New York or LA to model (the SEC) she's unemployed or waitressing at IHOP.

It's unfortunate Oklahoma plays in the Big XII. That league allows them to beat up on weaker competition and look great. Kinda like if you find a pretty girl in a small town. She's the prom queen there. But when you send her to New York or LA to model (the SEC) she's unemployed or waitressing at IHOP.

Biased much? Honestly, if this were SMU, I'd not be able to look at them for what they were--b/c I can't stand 'em. So I understand, but unless there were only 2 modeling jobs available, OU would not be waitressing at IHOP.

Agree. And, most schools have crude fans.

I think we've covered this before in recent threads: You don't have to be a crude fan. You don't have to boo, cuss, or act like a jackass to support your school.

It's unfortunate that some people view college football Saturdays as an excuse to go to Drunkytown in public. Now that I've got kids, I see it as more unfortunate than ever.

Still, I doubt LSU fans are any worse than the Texas and OU fans that heartily boo us when we play there. But, you have to understand that for some fans at these schools their penises are so small that they have to overcompensate by booing and jeering obviously overmatched teams. We have some of those small-penised fans.

Our little guys must be awfully quiet these days, cuz I don't recall us playing any obviously overmatched teams in years :(. If thousands of them start showing up in force next year, maybe it'll be a sign that we've finally turned the corner. dry.gif

• Upvote 1