The Trenches

cl_1_2008

Absolutely not... but I do think it was better than it showed on Thursday. I expect to see season long improvement with this same talent that's being mocked, and the excuses to be dropped pretty quickly.

If we see that improvement, though, we won't need any excuses. The game plan didn't work out, but you saw the coaches adapt and the team make improvements. That was within one game. In the course of the season we will see a lot more improvement, and we won't be hearing all the excuses OR coach-bashing we are hearing now. It's just so easy to react emotionally after a game like that, especially given the beating fans have taken for the last several years.

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 1

Speaking of young teams, Utah State starts 3 sophomores on the OL, has only 1 senior, and a TRUE Freshman at QB (from Cypress, TX, btw)... and has gone into Auburn and punched the national champs in the mouth, up 21-7 in the 2nd quarter and dominating T-O-P. They'll probably lose, but they're putting up points with new starters galore and a much bigger talent gap than we had.

I stand by what I said. You can and should be expected to score with new starters. We had a bad, bad, BAD night in Miami, and I expect that to turn around - even if it doesn't translate into wins and huge numbers this season. It won't - CAN'T- be expected, excused or become the norm. All I've said this whole thread. Stand by it.

Come on, now. Everyone knows that Auburn lost a bunch of starters from last year. Everyone knows FIU is a top 10 team this year and would easily beat Auburn by 2 TDs.

I mean, how could we ever hope to compete with such a national power as FIU.

The acceptance of losing and poor coaching by this fan base never ceases to amaze me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

In your "expert" opinion. I'm sure you think that TD left the pantry stocked and we have real superb talent to work with.

It's actually pretty simple...adjust when you're getting your ass kicked. Defense did except for covering Hilton! Now the Offense has to. We don't have a mobile QB or a very good O-Line, so the Spread Offense has very little chance of being successful. If we insist on running it, it needs to be filled with alternative plays. Go under center once in awhile, throw a screen, run play action, go misdirection, draw, when your right tackle is weak, put a tight end in to help and run that way. Coaches need to understand their talent level and adjust.

From now on every opponent's defense will watch that film and say, "we got this", load up for the run out of the spread because that's what they're gonna do.

And, I actually think this is possible, but coaches gotta have some balls and be flexible.

Thanks for the "expert" compliment!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's actually pretty simple...adjust when you're getting your ass kicked. Defense did except for covering Hilton! Now the Offense has to. We don't have a mobile QB or a very good O-Line, so the Spread Offense has very little chance of being successful. If we insist on running it, it needs to be filled with alternative plays. Go under center once in awhile, throw a screen, run play action, go misdirection, draw, when your right tackle is weak, put a tight end in to help and run that way. Coaches need to understand their talent level and adjust.

From now on every opponent's defense will watch that film and say, "we got this", load up for the run out of the spread because that's what they're gonna do.

And, I actually think this is possible, but coaches gotta have some balls and be flexible.

Thanks for the "expert" compliment!

Correct the drops from Powers. The over throws from Thompson. The holding on the Lance Dunbar screen and improve WR blocking.

Our poor execution won't help us regardless of play calling / adjustments.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of young teams, Utah State starts 3 sophomores on the OL, has only 1 senior, and a TRUE Freshman at QB (from Cypress, TX, btw)... and has gone into Auburn and punched the national champs in the mouth, up 21-7 in the 2nd quarter and dominating T-O-P. They'll probably lose, but they're putting up points with new starters galore and a much bigger talent gap than we had.

Did you make the above information up, except for the freshman QB.

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/usu01.html

Check your facts.

RT Gapela RS Senior starting his 29th game

RG Schultz RS Soph Starting his 7th game. Signed with USU in December of 2008, after an LDS Church Mission and went through spring drills. Will be 24 years old next week.

C Larsen RS Soph Starting 13th game. Is also on the 2011 Rimington Trophy watch list.

LG Asisi RS Senior Starting his 19th game

LT Lasike JR JUCO Transfer Starting his first game.

2 Seniors. 1 Junior. and 2 RS Soph. That really sounds like and inexperienced offensive line.

• Upvote 4

http://www.utahstate...2012/usu01.html

Check your facts.

RG Schultz RS Soph Starting his 7th game. Signed with USU in December of 2008, after an LDS Church Mission and went through spring drills. Will be 24 years old next week.

C Larsen RS Soph Starting 13th game. Is also on the 2011 Rimington Trophy watch list.

2 Seniors. 1 Junior. and 2 RS Soph. That really sounds like and inexperienced offensive line.

+1, but I'm not sure how far being rational and informed will take you here.

• Upvote 1

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/usu01.html

Check your facts.

RG Schultz RS Soph Starting his 7th game. Signed with USU in December of 2008, after an LDS Church Mission and went through spring drills. Will be 24 years old next

week.

Got my info from a USU depth chart, which listed the (most importantly) true freshman QB, 3 Sophs, 1 Jr. and 1

Sr..... and according to you, its actually.... one less sophomore lineman, replaced by a JUCO transfer making his first start?!? Seriously?!? Wow. That really IS a totally different scenario. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they ran all over Auburn.

Nope. It's a young team with a terrible track record the past decade starting a true Freshman QB. Sorry, still gives me some hope.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Correct the drops from Powers. The over throws from Thompson. The holding on the Lance Dunbar screen and improve WR blocking.

Our poor execution won't help us regardless of play calling / adjustments.

Powers should have caught the ball that was thrown behind him but the others were not his fault. The balls were slow coming out and plays were slow developing. Osborn was much quicker, sharper and crisper.

• Upvote 1

Powers should have caught the ball that was thrown behind him but the others were not his fault. The balls were slow coming out and plays were slow developing. Osborn was much quicker, sharper and crisper.

And made 2 decisions that should have been intercepted. One for 6.

I pray to god we don't get into QB battle talk. That crap is a beating.