Reasons for Optimism

Just for the Cookout. But beer will flow at the Alumni Pavillion.

Nope. He shoulda been where is at now, QB coach. No higher. Vaslty underexperienced for the job.

Yes, my other name is Brett Vito.

Lol. Hindsight.

When he was canned I tried looking at it as objectively as possible. I was for the hire in the beginning and totally for the firing in the end. I try not to play Shoulda Woulda Coulda because of the natural inclination toward hindsight bias.

Edited by aztecskin

Lol. Hindsight.

When he was canned I tried looking at it as objectively as possible. I was for the hire in the beginning and totally for the firing in the end. I try not to play Shoulda Woulda Coulda because of the natural inclination toward hindsight bias.

Shoot, hiring Dodge is what got me excited about UNT football again, so I was right there with you.

I was done after the Army game in 09 (a little more educated about college football, also).

The great Darrell Dickey (In my best Vito voice).

OK, done.

Yep, I'm thinking 1 non-conference game (probably Indiana) and 5 conference games, including a shocker over conference favorite FIU on 09/01 (which is less than 1 month away!!!!)

90, I like your optimism, but I'm mildly surprised by this amount. Not to hijack, but what do you base 6 wins on?

90, I like your optimism, but I'm mildly surprised by this amount. Not to hijack, but what do you base 6 wins on?

I think DT will be the real deal at QB. He will give us what Dodge couldn't, a vertical passing game. I think the OL will be better than Vito thinks it will be. I think Bowen will work the same magic here that he worked at WKU. He is going to need to. I do think the defense starts to come together by the start of conference season (absent FIU, of course). I know this defense, whatever talent problems they may have, will tackle (because the will practice it) and be twice as physical as last year. I think that the offense carries this team against FIU, where they win somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-31. Expect DT to have a coming out game. where he throws for 3 or 4 TDs as FIU gets caught too close to the line of scrimmage trying to defend Dunbar. The FIU game is huge from a confidence standpoint, otherwise, the boys are 0-3 going into Indiana and a lot of self doubt may be creeping in.

Even though unproven, I think QB will be vastly improved this year. Of course, this all depends on having an almost injury-free fall camp, which I believe we are due after last years debacle. I also look for special teams to be VASTLY improved.

FIU

INDIANA

LALA

FAU

MTSU

WKU

That's six wins. The only one of those that some may consider unwinable is FIU. Fine, substitute Ark St. or ULM and you still get to 6.

Yes, I do think Dodge was that bad. Easily costing us 4 wins a year or more. For those who have not heard (Brett Vito), Todd Dodge doesn't coach here anymore, and this team won't play like a Todd Dodge coached team. Hell, they didn't the last 5 games of last year.

Another reason, a real FBS size QB and arm. I was at the Army game last year in West Point and DT was looking very good until he got hurt.He drove the field and threw the INT in the end zone because he hadn't yet learned not to lock down on a receiver. He had us moving again we he got hurt. If he hadn't we had a shot at winning that game.

FIU

INDIANA

LALA

FAU

MTSU

WKU

That's six wins. The only one of those that some may consider unwinable is FIU. Fine, substitute Ark St. or ULM and you still get to 6.

Yes, I do think Dodge was that bad. Easily costing us 4 wins a year or more. For those who have not heard (Brett Vito), Todd Dodge doesn't coach here anymore, and this team won't play like a Todd Dodge coached team. Hell, they didn't the last 5 games of last year.

The losses of Riley (yes, Riley) and Robertson temper my expectations a bit. Totally agree that Papa Dodge cost us games. The Punt Return game? Ugh.

How much of the effort and quality during the last 5 games was just playing hard for Canales/Glad it wasnt Dodge? Remember when the 2008 Saints won back-to-back games and there was a groundswell to hire Jim Haslett and they ended up as the only wins of his interim tenure?

That is not to say McCarney is not heads-and-shoulders better. Just don't want give too much weight to the last five games when there are obvious untested third variables.

• Upvote 1

Even though unproven, I think QB will be vastly improved this year. Of course, this all depends on having an almost injury-free fall camp, which I believe we are due after last years debacle. I also look for special teams to be VASTLY improved.

Okay. I'm good with it. I will counter that by saying that QB is indeed a question mark, but the MG appear to be in good hands there. I'll also mention that arguably the team's best receiver is no longer on the team, the OL graduated a couple of stout players, and DT does not have Riley's wheels, nor his knowledge of this offense, although the final point is probably moot.

The leading tackler is gone on D. Pass rush and run defense is still a huge question mark and are two areas that over the last 3 years probably cost this team 3-4 wins per season. I'm not sold on the defensive improvement at all, although I am cautiously optimistic.

Special teams should be improved, but that's been knocked around for the last 2 years. Again, believe when I see it. This area cost the MG dearly in the last 2 seasons.

At any rate, I'm going out on a limb and saying they'll get to 4. Just don't see 6 this year due to (mainly) defensive issues and Dunbar having to carry more than his share of the load. Would LOVE to be wrong.

The only way I see 6-7 wins is if the team can play defense, use their special teams well and play more ball-control. WR's will have to step up. It's going to hinge on the QB, WR's, DL and the LB's this year IMO. Those areas are all huge question marks in my mind.

Edited by LongJim

Okay. I'm good with it. I will counter that by saying that QB is indeed a question mark, but the MG appear to be in good hands there. But I'll also mentioned that arguably the team's best receiver is no longer on the team, the OL graduated a couple of stout players, and DT does not have Riley's wheels, nor his knowledge of this offense, although the final point is probably moot.

The leading tackler is gone on D. Pass rush and run defense is still a huge question mark and are two areas that over the last 3 years probably cost this team 3-4 wins per season. I'm not sold on the defensive improvement at all, although I am cautiously optimistic.

Special teams should be improved, but that's been knocked around for the last 2 years. Again, believe when I see it. This area cost the MG dearly in the last 2 seasons.

At any rate, I'm going out on a limb and saying they'll get to 4. Just don't see 6 this year due to (mainly) defensive issues and Dunbar having to carry more than his share of the load. Would LOVE to be wrong.

The only way I see 6-7 wins is if the team can play defense, use their special teams well and play more ball-control. WR's will have to step up. It's going to hinge on the QB, WR's, DL and the LB's this year IMO. Those areas are all huge question marks in my mind.

I understand your apprehension. I would love to have a strong armed 3 year starter back at QB. Unfortunately, that isn't the situation we are presented with.

Go back to the opening game of 2007 and think about how many people on here were hopeful for a close game against OU because they were starting an unproven redshirt freshman QB. All Bradford did was annihillate UNT that evening and go on to a fabulous season and career at OU. Obviously, we are talking about different talent level, but we are also talking about a different competition level.

The point is that you are always replacing players at the college level. Who do you think is better at judging talent and getting the most out of these kids, Dodge or Mac? I believe you will see better offense, defense, and special teams units because they will be better prepared physically, mentally, and psychologically to play at the college level. Keep in mind, this is the Sun Belt, where the concensus 6-8 place pick last year won the conference.

You have to remember, these are still 19-22 year old kids we are talking about. Leadership and preparation can go a long way, longer than the road from 3 wins to 6.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Okay. I'm good with it. I will counter that by saying that QB is indeed a question mark, but the MG appear to be in good hands there. But I'll also mentioned that arguably the team's best receiver is no longer on the team, the OL graduated a couple of stout players, and DT does not have Riley's wheels, nor his knowledge of this offense, although the final point is probably moot.

Ummm... the thread title is "Reasons for Optimism". Not "Reasons for Negativity"! Take your negative vibes to the Eagles Nest forum! We're BCS Bowl bound!

I have edited my original post in this thread to be more optimistic, so as not to hijack the original topic. Please see below:

"I'm good with it. QB is indeed...in good hands... I'll also mention that arguably the team's best receiver is...on the team, the OL...a couple of stout players, and DT does...have Riley's wheels...his knowledge of this offense...the final point...

The leading tackler is...on D. Pass rush and run defense...huge...areas...over...3-4 wins per season.

I'm...sold on the defensive improvement...I am...optimistic.

Special teams should be improved...believe...I see it.

At any rate, I'm going out on a limb and saying they'll get...6 this year due to...Dunbar...

I see 6-7 wins is if the team can play defense, use their special teams well and play more ball-control. WR's will...step up. It's going to hinge on the QB, WR's, DL and the LB's this year IMO."

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 6

I have edited my original post in this thread to be more optimistic, so as not to hijack the original topic. Please see below:

"I'm good with it. QB is indeed...in good hands... I'll also mention that arguably the team's best receiver is...on the team, the OL...a couple of stout players, and DT does...have Riley's wheels...his knowledge of this offense...the final point...

The leading tackler is...on D. Pass rush and run defense...huge...areas...over...3-4 wins per season.

I'm...sold on the defensive improvement...I am...optimistic.

Special teams should be improved...believe...I see it.

At any rate, I'm going out on a limb and saying they'll get...6 this year due to...Dunbar...

I see 6-7 wins is if the team can play defense, use their special teams well and play more ball-control. WR's will...step up. It's going to hinge on the QB, WR's, DL and the LB's this year IMO."

That's what I'm talkin about!! Pass the Kool-aid!

green-kool-aid-273x300.jpg

Main reason for watching UNT this year: Lance Dunbar.

#Lancefor2000

School record for rushing yards in a season is 1801. TD record is 19. I'll be looking for overall progress as a program but feverishly checking the LD's stats.

(someone double check me please -- I'm going off the top of my head)