DD's First Game as HC

With all the talk about what our cupboard looks like and with all the "unproven" talent that is on the field.........I wanted to see what DD's first year was like and found the video below. Skip a bit into this and you will see at least 20 solid minutes of the game vs OU with both teams showcasing their talents and plays.

Someone stated earlier today that they wondering if anyone had a breakout season in 1998 when DD took over. The answer is yes. While he didn't put up LD style numbers over the entire season...Ja'Quay Wilburn had a slow start (BCS teams on the schedule) but had put up 754 yds. rushing by the end of the season with a phenomenal stretch in the last 4 games.

Game starts at 4:30

here is a great writeup and interview with DD on this game (and also the Tech game):

Post OU game interview

Couple of thoughts-

We went to this game. OU's new defensive coordinator that year was Rex Ryan, who earned a Super Bowl ring with the Baltimore Ravens a couple of years after that, and now coaches the New York Jets.

This wasn't the greatest OU team, but we played them tough. Both teams were starting new QBs with new offensive coordinators. Still, a couple of years later, most of those OU starters were taking Bob Stoops to a national championship.

We were prepared...a lot more prepared than Todd Dodge and his 2007 team were up in Norman. In 2007, OU and UNT were also breaking in new QBs. Granted, OU's two starting receivers that night, the QB, and the starting TE ended up in the NFL, but....

Finally, I know it's no newsflash that I like that darker shade of green we were sporting back then.

• Downvote 1

Call me old school, but man I love the I formation. Anybody notice the fullback break a 30 yd touchdown.

What Barry Switzer used to say about option: "If it's blocked perfectly, the man with the ball only has the Monster Man (safety or inside lb, depending on the defense) to beat on the way to the end zone."

But, you could probably say that about any play. A good run game is fun to watch, though. OU got a taste of it from West Virginia in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl:

What can a fullback do for you? Fullback Owen Schmitt scores

What can a fullback do for you? Fullback Owen Schmitt blocks

• Upvote 1

Foreshadowing quote by DD in the article regarding the offense:

"This may not sell a lot of tickets, but if we can't run the ball we can't win."

:blink:

Hey, he called it from Game 1 - he lived with the run, and died with the run.

That quote not only foreshadowed his commitment to the running game, but also his lack of commitment to fans and alumni.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What Barry Switzer used to say about option: "If it's blocked perfectly, the man with the ball only has the Monster Man (safety or inside lb, depending on the defense) to beat on the way to the end zone."

Honestly, it was a nice run but not much of a block by the fullback on the second clip. He just kinda got in the way. Effective, but anyone could make that block.

Honestly, it was a nice run but not much of a block by the fullback on the second clip. He just kinda got in the way. Effective, but anyone could make that block.

That's a fullback lead blocking on the sideline.

Anyway, he must have blocked well enough because he ended up here after college:

http://www.nfl.com/player/owenschmitt/312/profile

With all the talk about what our cupboard looks like and with all the "unproven" talent that is on the field.........I wanted to see what DD's first year was like and found the video below. Skip a bit into this and you will see at least 20 solid minutes of the game vs OU with both teams showcasing their talents and plays.

Someone stated earlier today that they wondering if anyone had a breakout season in 1998 when DD took over. The answer is yes. While he didn't put up LD style numbers over the entire season...Ja'Quay Wilburn had a slow start (BCS teams on the schedule) but had put up 754 yds. rushing by the end of the season with a phenomenal stretch in the last 4 games.

Game starts at 4:30

here is a great writeup and interview with DD on this game (and also the Tech game):

Post OU game interview

JaQuay got off to a slow start because DD insisted on playing Tubby Coleman over JaQuay. Drove me insane. DD finally came around and Wilburn had a great second half of the season. It was a stupid non-conference schedule but i think we should've won more games than we did. There were some good players on that team.

Notice how our O-Line blew the Sooners off the ball.

Have not seen that since Leftwich left us.

I think our new O-Line coach will fix that quickly.

It will be nice to see us get physical and actually win the trench war.

It may take a little bit, but I really look forward to that.

Notice how our O-Line blew the Sooners off the ball.

Have not seen that since Leftwich left us.

I think our new O-Line coach will fix that quickly.

It will be nice to see us get physical and actually win the trench war.

It may take a little bit, but I really look forward to that.

Imagine how many more yards Lance would have/will have when this is the norm.

Actually, he left us once before.

He was here for the a couple of the bowl years, left, came back, and left again late last July.

The point being that you could tell (at least I could) when he was here and when he was not. Our line play was better back then. Maybe it was the players he recruited, maybe it was the coaching, but better it was.