Is Tony Mitchell considered a big man/post?

Harry

http://www.freep.com/article/20110622/SPORTS06/106220445/Michigan-s-Tim-Hardaway-Jr-working-his-game-Team-USA-tryout?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Hardaway indicates Mitchell is a big man for team USA.

At the trials this month, he said his focus has been trying to help his big men -- finding Florida's Patric Young and North Texas' Tony Mitchell for "easy dunks and easy lay-ups."

It will be interesting to see what position Tony plays for UNT. Perhaps he could be our post?

I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't make sense to put him at 5.

Well, Tony is a legitimate NBA prospect, but he will not be a 5 (or a 4) in the NBA. I know you put team first, and there may well be occasions where he will be essentially be our big man on the floor. But I have to think Coach JJ told Tony he would play him in a way that would showcase his talents.

He is going to be a match-up nightmare for other Sunbelt teams. I have a feeling that we won't be seeing any man-to-man defensive schemes run against UNT next year.

You basically have a 6'9" center that can shoot from the perimeter or blow by his man (the other team's 5) if they try to take away the shot.

I think we are going to see a wide open game next year (although I still wish we had one more big).

The answer is neither.... It's going to change game to game depending on the match-ups... If someone puts a big on him put him on the perimeter and stretch the defense if they try to go smaller on him to contain him off the dribble then post up the smaller player

The answer is neither.... It's going to change game to game depending on the match-ups... If someone puts a big on him put him on the perimeter and stretch the defense if they try to go smaller on him to contain him off the dribble then post up the smaller player

Which is why UNT sees zone defense just about every game next year.

I would not consider Mitchell a "Go to" guy. His game is similar to a Shawn Marion than a Dirk Nowitzki. Opponents can't/shouldn't go into a game planning to stop him. An effective game for him could be 12 boards, 12 points, 5 assists and 5 blocks. He'll be all over the place. Very unselfish, great passer, relentless on the boards and would be the most dominate shot blocker ever to suit up for the Mean Green; if he stayed down low. So sure, he can play the five (out of necessity) and be the best center on the team. Playing center, however, will limit his overall game. Should join Shawnson Johnson on the All-Time 1-Semester team. As stated previously, he's not NBA ready. But, who are these days?

Let's go with a late June 2011 rotation of:

* Hogans, Edwards & Mitchell at the center position

* Mitchell, Robinson, Juco guy at the 4

* Franklin, Mitchell, Williams, Holeman at small forward

* A. Williams, Walton at Shooting guard

* Jones, Norris, Alzee at point.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1

Mitchell is a 3 at the next level but I believe he will play at the 4 for us. His length gives him the ability to play the five if needed at moments but that doesn't appear to be his game.....and go to the rec and watch him play, you will rethink him not being a "go-to" guy

• Upvote 1

Mitchell is a 3 at the next level but I believe he will play at the 4 for us. His length gives him the ability to play the five if needed at moments but that doesn't appear to be his game.....and go to the rec and watch him play, you will rethink him not being a "go-to" guy

Seen Mitchell play at least 12 games and against better comp than at the rec.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 4

Seen Mitchell play at least 12 games and against better comp than at the rec.

You have much more knowlledge than I on the subject, but I still hope your wrong.

Question. Do you not think he can dominate in the Belt? And don't you think this class will really test the developmental skills of the coaching staff (because of the sky high expectations)?

• Upvote 1

Absolutely! All I was trying to say is that a large percentage of his points will come from put backs, tip ins & free-throws. He also has perimeter skills. (as many have come to know)

If the game is on the line, I don't think you necessarily draw up a play for him. Our chances remain high that he will come through. I just think that the chances are greater that he will sky as high as necessary to get the board and score the bucket.

We haven't seen anyone so relentless. Sorry for any confusion!