Sunbelt (2/5/11)

CMJ

I think at this point we need to start rooting for Denver...at least in their game against Arkansas State. There is very little difference when it comes down to it between first and second place in the west. FAU or Denver are the two that are going to battle it out for the regular season title, and auto-nit bid, but other than that we just need to get the bye. We could be way far behind Denver in the west when the season is over, but as long as we end in 2nd place, it doesn't matter.

We need to start rooting for whoever is playing UALR, ASU, and even ULL, who are absolutely within striking distance. It is going to be a battle for that second spot. We know we can play with anyone in the Belt, we just can't do it for 4 nights in a row. Get the bye, and we are in good shape.

I think at this point we need to start rooting for Denver...at least in their game against Arkansas State. There is very little difference when it comes down to it between first and second place in the west. FAU or Denver are the two that are going to battle it out for the regular season title, and auto-nit bid, but other than that we just need to get the bye. We could be way far behind Denver in the west when the season is over, but as long as we end in 2nd place, it doesn't matter.

We need to start rooting for whoever is playing UALR, ASU, and even ULL, who are absolutely within striking distance. It is going to be a battle for that second spot. We know we can play with anyone in the Belt, we just can't do it for 4 nights in a row. Get the bye, and we are in good shape.

I am inclined to agree with you. However, the fact that Denver has a bunch of tough games (ASU - then FAU after that)- they could go on a 3 game losing streak quite easily and come back to all of us in the West.

I am inclined to agree with you. However, the fact that Denver has a bunch of tough games (ASU - then FAU after that)- they could go on a 3 game losing streak quite easily and come back to all of us in the West.

You may be right...It's a tough call at this point. I think we need 1 more game of "data" to really decide which way to root. This is going to be a long few weeks... :unsure:

You may be right...It's a tough call at this point. I think we need 1 more game of "data" to really decide which way to root. This is going to be a long few weeks... :unsure:

I don't think we can go wrong with that game or the UALR/ULL game this week. No matter who wins/loses we'll be helped in some fashion. We just need to play our best game of the year on Thursday and get back in this thing.

MTSU 85

USA 62

Blue Raiders quietly playing decent ball right now.

The way they are playing makes our loss to them look a little bit better. Also, I would prefer MTSU to stay at #2 in the east instead of WKU. For some reason, even with all of WKU's struggles, I still want to avoid them as much as possible in the tourney.

The way they are playing makes our loss to them look a little bit better. Also, I would prefer MTSU to stay at #2 in the east instead of WKU. For some reason, even with all of WKU's struggles, I still want to avoid them as much as possible in the tourney.

Well, we haven't lost to a non Hilltopper team in the SBC tournament in eons.

How can you claim ASU will be a tough game for Denver. ASU is horrible this year. I agree in that we are playing for second place at this time.

ASU is 2nd in the West currently - and Denver struggles on the road historically. ASU is up big midway through the 1st half.

Edited by CMJ

I have no idea how the tiebreakers currently stand with ULL/UALR/NT so I just went with overall record.

EAST

FAU 10-1 18-7

MTSU 7-4 12-12

WKU 5-5 10-12

USA 4-7 10-12

FIU 4-7 9-14

Troy 3-7 5-17

WEST

Denver 7-3 11-12

ASU 7-4 13-13

North Texas 5-5 16-7

ULL 5-5 8-14

UALR 5-5 13-12

ULM 1-10 6-19

It goes without saying....but.....the game against UALR on Thursday is monumentally important.

I have no idea how the tiebreakers currently stand with ULL/UALR/NT so I just went with overall record.

The tiebreaker will be head-to-head record between the teams. After tonight, the result would be:

1. North Texas - (2-1)

2. Louisiana-Lafayette - (2-2)

3. Arkansas Little Rock - (1-2)

The order you have them in already is correct.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

The tiebreaker will be head-to-head record between the teams. After tonight, the result would be:

1. North Texas - (2-1)

2. Louisiana-Lafayette - (2-2)

3. Arkansas Little Rock - (1-2)

Further proof on why we need a win on Thursday. We're definitely still in this West race if we steal one in Little Rock.

Edited by CMJ

I think we will have to win out if we want that bye. Arkansas State probably has the easiest remaining schedule in the league.

Perhaps so. I'm not liking our chances of winning out though. I'm hoping for it, but I think our best case scenario is probably 5-1 down the stretch.

Hell, at this point I just want 1 win. It's been awhile.

It's looking like we may need to steal one in Jonesboro and Bowling Green as well... :unsure:

I mean...a win in Little Rock keeps us in the race, if for no other reason but morale. A loss there definitely takes us out (IMHO). I'll worry about WKU and/or ASU if we can beat UALR.