Thoughts On Riley Dodge Leaving

Harry

I dunno... seems the kid is showing the same class he's shown the past few years and just wants to start over fresh.

1. Haven't seen any reason to doubt this kid's character over the past three seasons. Have I missed something?

2. He's walking out of here still praising UNT when he could be throwing crap and stirring up the media. How many other transfers have you heard about that have nothing but hate for thier last team?

3. If I remember right (note: I could be wrong), he was pounced on right after his father was canned and asked, mid-season, about next year. Could he have responded better? Yep, but if he'd have said "I don't know" The media and the fanbase would NEVER have let that go.

4. Finally let's face it, next year this kid would've had the most difficult transition of any other player on the team. (Having someone replace your dad is personal, even if it's for ligit reasons).

Basically it's a fresh start for him and fewer distractions for Coach Mac and staff next year. Sounds like a Win-win to me.

Best of luck to you young man!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I dunno... seems the kid is showing the same class he's shown the past few years and just wants to start over fresh.

1. Haven't seen any reason to doubt this kid's character over the past three seasons. Have I missed something?

2. He's walking out of here still praising UNT when he could be throwing crap and stirring up the media. How many other transfers have you heard about that have nothing but hate for thier last team?

3. If I remember right (note: I could be wrong), he was pounced on right after his father was canned and asked, mid-season, about next year. Could he have responded better? Yep, but if he'd have said "I don't know" The media and the fanbase would NEVER have let that go.

4. Finally let's face it, next year this kid would've had the most difficult transition of any other player on the team. (Having someone replace your dad is personal, even if it's for ligit reasons).

Basically it's a fresh start for him and fewer distractions for Coach Mac and staff next year. Sounds like a Win-win to me.

Best of luck to you young man!

We needed him on the sidelines so when he was not playing QB those who may be hesitant to play hurt can see the master at work.

Wonder what or who changed his mind about staying (and not counting his dad who I don't think changed Riley's mind).

It will be a fresh start for Riley, but playing in our new stadium next year w/o the one who probably convinced UNT powers when no one else was talking new stadium that this "HAD" to be done and.........that inspiration not being on the sidelines may have made Riley's decision easier. What a non-Hollywood ending this whole damn story had.

Riley Dodge ='s Gutsy Guy!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm selfishly sad to hear this but hope Riley has made a decision that is best for him and his family. I was really looking forward to watching him get better over the next years. Riley was the gutsest guy I've seen step on the field at UNT in a long time and I wih him the very best! Best of luck to you Riley you have my respect!

I'm selfishly sad to hear this but hope Riley has made a decision that is best for him and his family. I was really looking forward to watching him get better over the next years. Riley was the gutsest guy I've seen step on the field at UNT in a long time and I wih him the very best! Best of luck to you Riley you have my respect!

ditto. kid had more pure guts than any player i personally have seen in 50 years of following eagleball.

Some of this is a little over the top. Scott Hall played with a torn ACL.

I think we have some martyr effect going on here. Riley was a nice guy, played with some injuries and was a tough, I appreciate that. But he quit. Would we have offered a scholarship in the first place if he had said hey I will come play my butt off for the mean green, but only for 2 years? No, the expecatation is get a scholarship and play your college career at the school you committ to.

Riley is tough yes, but not committed. I think of a guy like Chad Rose as committed. He came in and started at center I believe for his freshman and sophomore years. Coaching change and Dodge then came in and brought his guys and Chad played sparingly over his last 2 years. I would think that guy had a reason to be bitter and go somewhere else, but he didn't, he stuck it out and fullfilled his committment.

Thanks Riley for what you gave us while your were here. No thanks for quitting half way thru.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some of this is a little over the top. Scott Hall played with a torn ACL.

In the ULL game, I think just about everything below the waist was taped up on Scott. He kept limping off the field and they kept taping him up and sending him back in.

My personal favorite "play with pain-warrior QB" that we had at North Texas was Jordan Case. Case played his whole career in pain because of a congenital back problem. It's what kept him from being drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. I remember reading one time that he usually had to get a pain shot before each game in order to be able to play.

In the ULL game, I think just about everything below the waist was taped up on Scott. He kept limping off the field and they kept taping him up and sending him back in.

My personal favorite "play with pain-warrior QB" that we had at North Texas was Jordan Case. Case played his whole career in pain because of a congenital back problem. It's what kept him from being drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. I remember reading one time that he usually had to get a pain shot before each game in order to be able to play.

And he recently had knee replacement surgery. The guy was a warrior!

Would we have offered a scholarship in the first place if he had said hey I will come play my butt off for the mean green, but only for 2 years? No, the expecatation is get a scholarship and play your college career at the school you committ to.

Scholarships in football and other sports are year to year.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/06/scholarships_are_renewed_on_a.html

The school isn't making a four-year commitment to a player, so it's a bit ridiculous to expect a player to keep a four-year commitment to a school.