Riley Dodge Is Our Qb

Harry

not true...he didnt use his red shirt freshman year and got hurt his sophomore year and will use his RS for that...so he should be a RS Sophomore this coming season with 3 full ellagible years.

What is not true? A redshirt year and a hardship waiver (sometimes referred to as a Medial Reshirt0 are not the same and are not interchangeable. If he gets a waiver, he will have 3 more years to play that is not counter to what I stated. He still lost a year by playing in one drive in 2010. I am certainly not an expert but here is my logic if you know better please cite your sources. The NCAA regs are hazy at best.

Normally a football players has 5 years to play 4.

This allows a player to have a redshirt year. The player cannot play one down and receive a redshirt year.

The exception to the rule is under special circumstances a player can receive a "hardship waiver" in the case of injury it is often referred to as a medical redshirt. There are qualifications to receive this waiver including that the player cannot have played in the second half of the season or in more than 20% of the games and the injury has to be documented by medical evidence. With this waiver a player can have more than the 5 years to play 4. In the case of SMU QB and NT OC Flanigan, it seems to be unlimited.

Applying this to Thompson. He played his freshman year and lost a year of eligibility that cannot be changed. So he is a sophomore with 4 years to play 3.

He was injured in the third game of 2011 and thus should be eligible for a hardship waiver. He is not eligible for a redshirt because he played in a game. Again, I don't think he can get a hardship waiver until he has completed eligibility, but it really does not matter at this point. In the unlikely event he does not get a waiver he will have 3 years to play 2. If he gets the hardship waiver, he will get an extra year and have in effect 3 years to play 3.

The point is that if Thompson had not played his freshman year and redshirted, he still could get a medical redshirt (hardship waiver). He would then still have 4 years to play. If that is true, how can anyone support the theory that playing his freshman year did not cost him a year of eligibility?

What is not true? A redshirt year and a hardship waiver (sometimes referred to as a Medial Reshirt0 are not the same and are not interchangeable. If he gets a waiver, he will have 3 more years to play that is not counter to what I stated. He still lost a year by playing in one drive in 2010. I am certainly not an expert but here is my logic if you know better please cite your sources. The NCAA regs are hazy at best.

Normally a football players has 5 years to play 4.

This allows a player to have a redshirt year. The player cannot play one down and receive a redshirt year.

The exception to the rule is under special circumstances a player can receive a "hardship waiver" in the case of injury it is often referred to as a medical redshirt. There are qualifications to receive this waiver including that the player cannot have played in the second half of the season or in more than 20% of the games and the injury has to be documented by medical evidence. With this waiver a player can have more than the 5 years to play 4. In the case of SMU QB and NT OC Flanigan, it seems to be unlimited.

Applying this to Thompson. He played his freshman year and lost a year of eligibility that cannot be changed. So he is a sophomore with 4 years to play 3.

He was injured in the third game of 2011 and thus should be eligible for a hardship waiver. He is not eligible for a redshirt because he played in a game. Again, I don't think he can get a hardship waiver until he has completed eligibility, but it really does not matter at this point. In the unlikely event he does not get a waiver he will have 3 years to play 2. If he gets the hardship waiver, he will get an extra year and have in effect 3 years to play 3.

The point is that if Thompson had not played his freshman year and redshirted, he still could get a medical redshirt (hardship waiver). He would then still have 4 years to play. If that is true, how can anyone support the theory that playing his freshman year did not cost him a year of eligibility?

im not gonna lie...i got confused by this post :lol: all i know is the red shirt he burned last year is the one he is using this year as a "medical redshirt" so he is still getting to play 3 more years....never disputed the fact about him losing 1 year on a drive...becuase that did happen...as of right now he has 3 more years to play and that was all i said in my post! GMG

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

There is no such thing as a medical redshirt.

There is a medical hardship waiver you can apply for if you play in less they 30% of your teams games, it is not automatic.

Every player has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. You use a year if eligibility if you take part in a single play.

Thompson played a series in 2009, thats one year,

Thompson played this year, thats another.

At this moment, he has 3 years to play 2 years.

He can apply for a hardship waiver, its not a guarantee,but his chances are good.

If the waiver is granted, he will have 3 years to play 3.

Tune is different, this year was his 5th year to play his fourth., but he could not complete it.

If he was to get another year, it would be his 6th year to play his fourth.

The NCAA has stated they will be very selective on 6th years, so his chances are much worse than Thompson's.

Don't even get me started on Grey Shirts...

He proved himself to be more durable this season than Nathan Tune or Derek Thompson.

Very true, though a distinction could be made that it was not really being more durable; rather he suited up and asked to play through injury out of necessity.

Good point, though.

If I am a coach, I am looking at all the injuries he has sustained the past two seasons and prioritizing his long-term health vs. the effectiveness of the offense. After what Chico pulled off the last 5 games, I have no problem if Riley is under center. But I also still wonder that he is more injury prone than what you want your starting QB to be.

I love Riley's heart but I'd rather use him as a Kordell Stewart type than him being our full time QB. BUT if somehow someway he truly is our best option as our every down QB then I don't have any issue with him filling that role.

Uh... Ok, Mr. Obvious.

But, like you said, I would much rather see him used about 10 plays a game at QB.