And The World Cup Goes To...

We should have sent somebody besides Bill Clinton. He is a smart guy and everything but sending a famous prominent athlete like Magic or Armstrong would have done better. Either way Qatar might be the worst selection in the history of the world cup. I thought SA was a bad selection but Qatar should blow them out of the water. Western Europe and the US always spend the most money on the WC tickets, airfare, hotels, etc. so I guess FIFA just decided that regardless Western Europeans and Americans are going to travel to watch so why not have it in a new location to attract those people that wouldn't go if it was relatively close.

I was just as surprised hearing Russia and Qatar but why not give it a chance? The Sheikhs of Qatar are making a conscious effort to do there what they did in Dubai. And Qatar does not have Sharia Law. Don't judge a book by its cover. And if you don't want to go you certainly don't have to. There will be plenty of other people that will go, have a great time and not think twice about it.

• Upvote 1

I was just as surprised hearing Russia and Qatar but why not give it a chance? The Sheikhs of Qatar are making a conscious effort to do there what they did in Dubai. And Qatar does not have Sharia Law. Don't judge a book by its cover. And if you don't want to go you certainly don't have to. There will be plenty of other people that will go, have a great time and not think twice about it.

According to the CIA, they do.

my problem with it is mainly the size and location. in an area about the size of connecticut, they will have 10+ stadiums and host hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people. i know they have cash, but can they build enough hotels/transportaion/restaurants to handle the mass of people? the middle east isn't the most stable area in the world. islamic extremists are just across the sea, as is a guy with a happy finger. anything could happen in any country, but qatar just seems like the perfect opportunity for something to happen. as for tickets sold, everything will be sold out...it's the world effing cup!

According to the CIA, they do.

Qatar's government more in the middle of being strict and having what is in the U.A.E. However it is leaning more and more to the left as the Sheiks' goal is to basically turn Qatar in to the next Dubai. I think the World Cup going there only helps in their efforts and gives them a path to follow to get there. And again these are fine places if you go there with an open mind in my opinion.