Scrimmage Coverage

Brett Vito

Best news of the day in my opinion, that the offense struggled against OUR defense. During the Dickey scrimmages I remember all of us wondering if we would ever score a point during the season because our offense couldn't move the ball. We now know that is exactly what you want to see at this point of camp, the defense being well ahead of the offense.

As for our kicking game, holy crap :unsure::blink::unsure::blink:

Question: If your using a 3 and a half step to kick from 40 yards, why do you need 3 and half steps for 17 yards for an extra point? Seems to me that if your having problems hitting the ball correctly(Which Olen is struggling with) you would shorten your approach? Jason Ball and Keith Chapman(would kick 20 to 30 balls a day from 35 yards out with NO STEP) are both still living locally and I know for a fact that one of them has stated would be willing to come in and volunteer some time. This should have been a consideration long ago but it's never too late. Someone give either or both of those men a call before we lead the nation again in missed extra points.

Rick

Great post Rick, Chapman and Ball are both here and willing to lend a hand. Two of the best we have had. The only better perhaps Khory (sp?)... Anyway it's a major concern but you're right it is never too late to get it fixed. GMG!

Great post Rick, Chapman and Ball are both here and willing to lend a hand. Two of the best we have had. The only better perhaps Khory (sp?)... Anyway it's a major concern but you're right it is never too late to get it fixed. GMG!

I agree with that great suggestion. Any of those three could be a great help.

BTW....someone reminded me that Iseed Khoury (sp?) was left footed. I didn't remember that. Anyway if so....he'd be a great help to left footed Olen. And I believe he's here in the area, too---isn't he Denton High's soccer coach?

Best news of the day in my opinion, that the offense struggled against OUR defense. During the Dickey scrimmages I remember all of us wondering if we would ever score a point during the season because our offense couldn't move the ball. We now know that is exactly what you want to see at this point of camp, the defense being well ahead of the offense.

Question: If your using a 3 and a half step to kick from 40 yards, why do you need 3 and half steps for 17 yards for an extra point? Seems to me that if your having problems hitting the ball correctly(Which Olen is struggling with) you would shorten your approach? Jason Ball and Keith Chapman(would kick 20 to 30 balls a day from 35 yards out with NO STEP) are both still living locally and I know for a fact that one of them has stated would be willing to come in and volunteer some time. This should have been a consideration long ago but it's never too late. Someone give either or both of those men a call before we lead the nation again in missed extra points.

Rick

Amen, brother. It seems fairly obvious that some of these problems can benefit from attention by the coaching staff, notably in yesterday's scrimmage when Will Atterberry, who is left-handed, held for Olen, who is a left-footed kicker. That did seem to make a big difference. As well as the critical role of kicking and punting in any successful football program, I think we should be aware that kickers are performing under a lot of pressure and they need any help from the full time staff, volunteers, consultants or whoever that can help them succeed. I'm concerned about the mental effect that another year like the last one could have on these guys, not to mention the ill effects on ou won-loss record.

I agree with that great suggestion. Any of those three could be a great help.

BTW....someone reminded me that Iseed Khoury (sp?) was left footed. I didn't remember that. Anyway if so....he'd be a great help to left footed Olen. And I believe he's here in the area, too---isn't he Denton High's soccer coach?

Yes, he's still coaching at Denton High, you can find that on the Denton ISD Web Site. Here's the story that I like though (excuse me if I posted it before) from the DRC in 2008:

DRC on Iseed Khoury, "Denton's Soccer Son".

The story about the Denton High coaches not knowing he was left-handed until his senior year is great. My favorite quote from there is, in so many words, "Denton didn't help raise me, Denton raised me". I was hoping they'd have the story about how he told Hayden Fry, when Fry asked him to kick for the football team, something about his English might not be good enough (he was an immigrant from Israel), and Fry told him that being from West Texas, his wasn't either. It is great how that, when he didn't have a place to stay over Thanksgiving, Fry gave him the keys to his house and told him "you'll always have a place to sleep and eat".

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

Amen, brother. It seems fairly obvious that some of these problems can benefit from attention by the coaching staff, notably in yesterday's scrimmage when Will Atterberry, who is left-handed, held for Olen, who is a left-footed kicker. That did seem to make a big difference. As well as the critical role of kicking and punting in any successful football program, I think we should be aware that kickers are performing under a lot of pressure and they need any help from the full time staff, volunteers, consultants or whoever that can help them succeed. I'm concerned about the mental effect that another year like the last one could have on these guys, not to mention the ill effects on ou won-loss record.

How about calling back that guy that we had two summer ago, top rated but then quit. You never know he may be a different person now. :(

Rick

I think this rule would apply.

NCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:

11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FBS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FBS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

I think this rule would apply.

NCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:

11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FBS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FBS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

You may be right....but that mentions coaches EMPLOYED and grad assistants. How about volunteer coaches...who are working for no pay and no scholarship? I think we have a guy doing just that...for the O line (that guy who had played with Tampa Bay). Anyway, Rick isn't talking about one of these people being added to the staff...nor is he talking about someone being out there with them every day. (As I'm sure these aforementioned people don't have time for that). But a kicker (like these mentioned) might be able to observe a practice (or two) and help correct some technique problem which our coaches are overlooking.

• Upvote 2

You may be right....but that mentions coaches EMPLOYED and grad assistants. How about volunteer coaches...who are working for no pay and no scholarship? I think we have a guy doing just that...for the O line (that guy who had played with Tampa Bay). Anyway, Rick isn't talking about one of these people being added to the staff...nor is he talking about someone being out there with them every day. (As I'm sure these aforementioned people don't have time for that). But a kicker (like these mentioned) might be able to observe a practice (or two) and help correct some technique problem which our coaches are overlooking.

Volunteer coaches, such as the OL coach that played for Tampa, can help in the film room, weight room, etc. but they can't instruct on the field at practice/game etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1