YES! Another NT alumnus gets a Grammy.

UNT96

Norah Jones just won the Album of the year Grammy. Holy Crap! If only our dept of music could see the power of diversity that could be achieved if both were to work together. It is so sad that the two departments have so much animosity towards fighting for the budget dollars. I would love to see the athletics department get Norah Jones to sing at a football game! It would sell out for sure, no matter who we played and would drag some Music Majors out to the game to show how much fun being involved with your University can be!

Just got best NEW artist!  Holy Crap.  Guess I will go buy her album.  She sounds a lot like a young Bonnie Raitt.

I think Norah has now won 4 Grammy's (they count her songwriter as one of hers I think).

She just gave here UNT piano instructor kudos BTW with the last Grammy!

(The bass player in her band is her boyfriend, DAMMIT)! mad.gif

I guess Artist of the year working with the football team to sell out a FOOTBALL GAME is not worth front page coverage. But SWT's new uniforms is ok, along with posts about the Denia Residents, the PGA, and other various ramblings. Folks, football season is over. This is the board that everyone checks, I have never even glanced at the "General" Board. What the hell is up someone's butt?

I heard her thank her piano teacher, but didn't hear one reference to North Texas. In fact, unless I missed it, she's not an alumnus either because I don't think she graduated or attends classes anymore.

I'm not sure why everyone is falling all over themselves about her either. She went to NT for two years and now everyone wants to buy her CD. I'm glad that someone with NT ties is so succesful, but if you want to support NT, take that 17 bucks and buy a Mean Green t-shirt or a couple of tickets to this week's women's basketball games. Just IMHO, so take it for what it's worth. ph34r.gif

Well gee, like that was difficult.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion here. That's what these boards are for anyway, but what's up with all of the negativity? First you bag on the UNT hockey team and now Norah Jones. Shouldn't we be the ones to be a step above the Denia neighbors and Music school fans and celebrate ALL of UNT's accomplishments? Just me 2 cents worth.

Am I the only one on this board who didn't know Norah Jones attended UNT? This is news to me. I did know she graduated from the Arts Magnet school in Dallas, but I've never heard anything about her studies at UNT.

She's in her early twenties....maybe she'll come back and pick up her

degree someday....she'll need something to fall back on....

First of all, she just won 5 personal Grammy's and 8 collaberative Grammy's. She will NEVER need something to "fall back on". Expect Norah to get a 5-7 record deal at over 5 million a piece plus touring money and all of the novelties that go with it (t-shirts, etc..)

She doesn't look like a moron, she is ... in fact.. kind of a geek. Looking back at her class photos from ch. 11 last night, shw was a 4-eyed, chubby girl that was probably made fun of in regular school so they sent her off to the Arts Magnate School because she wanted to learn to play the piano.

Secondly, she did mention North Texas on the ch. 11 piece and went on to say that one person heard her sing there (at NT) and before she knew it shw was on tour, dropping her classes, and now she was standing up with the second most Grammy's ever won by a solo artist.

So is she an alumnus? Nope. But I know about 20% of our Mean Greenbackers that never graduated so I could care less. She chose UNT and now can be asked to come back and speak and perform ... and we actually have a chance in hell that she might say yes.

First of all, she just won 5 personal Grammy's and 8 collaberative Grammy's.  She will NEVER need something to "fall back on".

I was just kidding about her needing the back-up plan, UNT96...

She's destined for more great things, and she won't be playing the piano for tips anymore. (Although I wonder what Christopher Cross is doing these days....)

I'm really proud of her. I have been listening to her album for months now, and I cannot believe I didn't know she went to UNT. I don't think Don Henley or Michael Martin Murphey ever graduated either, but they attended, it counts!