I Spent All Day Watching College Playoff Baseball

MeanMag

It's damn cool to watch college baseball. This really is amateur sports. More than half these players will probably not even get a shot at the bigs.

It would have been cool if we could have fielded a team since CUSA turned us down. I don't care if we even built a facility for them, they could have played somewhere in this great metro. I will buy baseball season tickets if we get a team.

I seem to recall a large donor offering to bankroll the baseball expenses, but was turned down until we added a football stadium and another ladies team.

We were close with the TCL ballpark deal that fell through. Personally I'm glad that never went through. We were talking about a $1-1.5 million ballpark (if I recall correctly) that would have put us at an immediate disadvantage compared to other schools in the area, let alone the state.

Once we can dedicate closer to $10 million to the park, we'll probably add it is my feeling. There's no point in starting a program that's disadvantaged from the start.

It's the money. The expense, the Title IX offset, and the fact that it doesn't pay for itself from year-to-year for more than maybe a dozen programs in the country.

But someday, sooner than later, we ought to have the finances to pay for it and I'll split the pair of tickets with you.

It's the money. The expense, the Title IX offset, and the fact that it doesn't pay for itself from year-to-year for more than maybe a dozen programs in the country.

But someday, sooner than later, we ought to have the finances to pay for it and I'll split the pair of tickets with you.

Buy your own tickets, cheappie! laugh.gif

I played on the club baseball team when I was at UNT. The school gave us $10,000 a semester for equipment, travel expenses, and other fees (umpires, etc.). I think UNT not having a team is more a title IX issue than anything. There is plenty of baseball talent in Texas. More than enough to give us a competitive team right from the start. However, given then generally apathetic nature of the student body toward athletics, I think it would be difficult getting butts in the seats.

Edited by UNTGuy5