World Cup Is Finally Here

Oh boy... In the first shocker of the tourney:

Spain 0

Switzerland 1

This should serve as a wake up call for Spain. Maybe?

Should have been 2-0 to the Swiss. The Swiss goalkeeper was outstanding! BIG UPSET!

Well, I can't express how disappointed I am that two guys who work in our office were watching this world cup thing for multiple minutes in the break room over lunch. Bad enough that there's some incessant beehive buzzing sound (people playing their vulv*??), but that they're arresting women for wearing matching minidresses? Hey, if that was about preventing unsanctioned advertising, you don't think that little jail time didn't provide more free pub than the fraction of a square inch "Bavaria" tag along the seam?

I guess this is at least a sport where nobody will ever be accused of running up the score.

Can anyone here who "gets" this sport give me the vaguest hint of what causes people to watch it? I have no problem with, and completely understand the young kids kicking a ball around in the school yard, but for grown men to struggle for longer than I can stand to watch them trying to get a ball slightly smaller than a basketball into a net many times the size of a bball hoop???

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Well, I can't express how disappointed I am that two guys who work in our office were watching this world cup thing for multiple minutes in the break room over lunch. Bad enough that there's some incessant beehive buzzing sound (people playing their vulv*??), but that they're arresting women for wearing matching minidresses? Hey, if that was about preventing unsanctioned advertising, you don't think that little jail time didn't provide more free pub than the fraction of a square inch "Bavaria" tag along the seam?

I guess this is at least a sport where nobody will ever be accused of running up the score.

Can anyone here who "gets" this sport give me the vaguest hint of what causes people to watch it? I have no problem with, and completely understand the young kids kicking a ball around in the school yard, but for grown men to struggle for longer than I can stand to watch them trying to get a ball slightly smaller than a basketball into a net many times the size of a bball hoop???

Absolutely clueless comment from eulessismore. If you don't "get it", great, but don't show your complete ignorance regarding the world's most popular sport with such comments. If you don't like it, don't watch it. No one is forceing you to watch. In the meantime, I'll keep watching with the rest of the world. Maybe you can find a good cockfight or dog fight there in Euless you can understand better! tongue.gifargue.gifshocking.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Absolutely clueless comment from eulessismore. If you don't "get it", great, but don't show your complete ignorance regarding the world's most popular sport with such comments. If you don't like it, don't watch it. No one is forceing you to watch. In the meantime, I'll keep watching with the rest of the world. Maybe you can find a good cockfight or dog fight there in Euless you can understand better! tongue.gifargue.gifshocking.gif

So if the rest of the world does it, it's cool with you? Hello, tits on prime TV, legalized marijuana and genocide!

If it helps, I've been watching just about every match save the mid-morning games and have enjoyed some matches with full interest and having the others as background. You can also follow the vulva on Twitter now, which is very arousing.

Also, now that you've made this comment, you'll stay out of any and all baseball threads, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

US goes against Slovenia at 9:30AM this morning...BIG game...US needs a win or a draw out of this thing. By the way, the Germans are down 0-1 and are playing with 10 men after an early red card on a late tackle from the rear. It will be tough for the German to beat Serbia with 10 men. The Serbs have a pretty darn good team.

USA...USA...USA!!!!!!

WOW...Just WOW! The US again goes down a goal in the first 15 min. of a game...then goes 2 goals down before half. Played a "rubbish" game in the first half, and then comes out smokin' in the second half with an early goal from Donovan and a brilliant goal from Bradley to tie the game. Then the US gets "reffed" out of a goal for the winner late. Game ends 2-2 as a "victory" of sorts for the US and a real downer for Slovenia. However, both teams are now still in the hunt for the round of sixteen. The second half was absolutely exciting soccer from start to finish. I have to say, the referee was absolutely rubbish in this game from start to finish. The Slovenians got card after cared and Findley (US squad) got a yellow for a hand ball that was a stupid call by the ref. The guy should not work any more World Cup games as a center ref. He can do a line or 4th official, OK, but the center...no way. I would imagine that his work will be reviewed by FIFA this evening and we may not see him in center again.

The ref was "rubbish" just as the US team was in the first half. What is it with these guys that they don't seem to even start to play until they are at least one goal down? They won't go too deep (if they get out of the first round) with ties and allowing early goals to always have to play from behind.

Man, what a super second half. If you didn't get to see it live you really missed something.

USA-USA-USA!!!!!! Now, US must beat Algeria to have a shot at the round of sixteen. Man, be still my heart!

US goes against Slovenia at 9:30AM this morning...BIG game...US needs a win or a draw out of this thing. By the way, the Germans are down 0-1 and are playing with 10 men after an early red card on a late tackle from the rear. It will be tough for the German to beat Serbia with 10 men. The Serbs have a pretty darn good team.

USA...USA...USA!!!!!!

You and the Think Tank up for firebombing a ref's hotel with me? Brutal offside call.

Bernard Mickey Wrangle and I are already drinking tequila with Leigh-Cheri and plotting. I'll keep you in the know.

Obscure Algeria related literary reference FTW

WOW...Just WOW! The US again goes down a goal in the first 15 min. of a game...then goes 2 goals down before half. Played a "rubbish" game in the first half, and then comes out smokin' in the second half with an early goal from Donovan and a brilliant goal from Bradley to tie the game. Then the US gets "reffed" out of a goal for the winner late. Game ends 2-2 as a "victory" of sorts for the US and a real downer for Slovenia. However, both teams are now still in the hunt for the round of sixteen. The second half was absolutely exciting soccer from start to finish. I have to say, the referee was absolutely rubbish in this game from start to finish. The Slovenians got card after cared and Findley (US squad) got a yellow for a hand ball that was a stupid call by the ref. The guy should not work any more World Cup games as a center ref. He can do a line or 4th official, OK, but the center...no way. I would imagine that his work will be reviewed by FIFA this evening and we may not see him in center again.

The ref was "rubbish" just as the US team was in the first half. What is it with these guys that they don't seem to even start to play until they are at least one goal down? They won't go too deep (if they get out of the first round) with ties and allowing early goals to always have to play from behind.

Man, what a super second half. If you didn't get to see it live you really missed something.

USA-USA-USA!!!!!! Now, US must beat Algeria to have a shot at the round of sixteen. Man, be still my heart!

Anywhere to see a replay of the questionable call? I love how when people describe soccer they use terms like "rubbish" and "the pitch" as opposed to "poor or sucked" and "the field." :lol:

Anywhere to see a replay of the questionable call? I love how when people describe soccer they use terms like "rubbish" and "the pitch" as opposed to "poor or sucked" and "the field." laugh.gif

Try ESPN and every channel during the evening news this evening. The sports discussion will probably show it over and over. It was THAT BAD of a call...and I am a referee, OK and admittedly, no where...repeat no where...near the quality of these guys, but still I've been doing it for twenty plus years now, and no way, NO WAY, I make that call even in an u-12 or U-19 game! The guy needs his head handed to him. You just have to think he had some sort of "issue" with the US squad to have blown that call so badly. RUBBISH!

Lifer, terms like "rubbish" and "pitch" are standard nomenclature for futbol fans who enjoy and know the game. Every sport has their own "language", and it is simply part of what makes each unique. Glad you like them. biggrin.gif

Lifer, terms like "rubbish" and "pitch" are standard nomenclature for futbol fans who enjoy and know the game. Every sport has their own "language", and it is simply part of what makes each unique. Glad you like them. biggrin.gif

And if you don't...jog off!

Never really enjoyed soccer but I had a great time watching this game. What a great second half and I can't believe the ref made such a horrible call on the free kick that would have put us over the top....

I just want to know what your significant other thought of the slovenes. I know she isn't particularly fond of slovaks, and, to my self-important western mind, all of southeastern Europe kinda blends together.

Anywhere to see a replay of the questionable call? I love how when people describe soccer they use terms like "rubbish" and "the pitch" as opposed to "poor or sucked" and "the field." :lol:

You won't be able to anything because there isn't a foul to see. A replay can be viewed here.

http://tinyurl.com/3yfjo8e

Try ESPN and every channel during the evening news this evening. The sports discussion will probably show it over and over. It was THAT BAD of a call...and I am a referee, OK and admittedly, no where...repeat no where...near the quality of these guys, but still I've been doing it for twenty plus years now, and no way, NO WAY, I make that call even in an u-12 or U-19 game! The guy needs his head handed to him. You just have to think he had some sort of "issue" with the US squad to have blown that call so badly. RUBBISH!

I am a ref too. That one was horrible. What did you think of the yellow card he showed Findley for having the ball hit him in the face? (though having Findley on the bench for the next game isn't a bad thing IMO)

I am a ref too. That one was horrible. What did you think of the yellow card he showed Findley for having the ball hit him in the face? (though having Findley on the bench for the next game isn't a bad thing IMO)

The yellow to Findley was stupid. The guy got hit in the face with the ball and the ball bounced down off his face and hit his arm. He, in no way, "directed" the ball with his arm nor did he head the ball to his arm. I also agree that having Findley on the bench for game three is no big deal. So, no harm in that for me to see.

I do think the ref was "card happy" in this game. He gave several out and more to the Slovenians than the US. I think at least a couple to the Slovenian side were also very questionable card offenses at best. I think this guy thought he was part of the "show" and wanted his 15 minuets of fame on the World Cup stage. You would expect much better from World Cup quality refs.

He was bad and bad for both sides, but the call in the box on the "winning goal" was the worst such call I have seen at any level in any game for some time. Given that, however, the US made their own problems with a very very poorly played first half. RUBBISH is being kind and I am sure Coach Bradley told them so at half. The two subs at half as much said what he felt.

Will be interesting to see how the US responds against Algeria. Pretty much a must win for the US. BTW...Algeria and England are tied 0-0 at the half. Hmmmmmmmmmm, is Algeria decent after all or is England going up there with Spain and France as the tournament underachievers????? Time will tell. Man, this is great stuff!

Kram, what did you think of the foul on Jozy? The ref gave a yellow, but it looked like it was a denying a goal scoring opportunity (which would be a red card for everyone here that isn’t a soccer ref)

I will admit that my fan's eyes see that as DOGO, but my ref eyes think it might have been as well.

Kram, what did you think of the foul on Jozy? The ref gave a yellow, but it looked like it was a denying a goal scoring opportunity (which would be a red card for everyone here that isn't a soccer ref)

I will admit that my fan's eyes see that as DOGO, but my ref eyes think it might have been as well.

That one is debatable in my eyes. He was going away from the goal or at least diagonal to it, so one could argue it was not a pure goal scoring opportunity. With that ref, there was no way he was going to see it as a red. I just still cannot believe the calls he made...both ways. I do think the FIFA ref group will be reviewing his work in this game and we may not see him center another in this World Cup. He does not deserve another game in my opinion...at center...he can line or 4th official all he wants, but no way he goes back into the center if I had a say.

That one is debatable in my eyes. He was going away from the goal or at least diagonal to it, so one could argue it was not a pure goal scoring opportunity. With that ref, there was no way he was going to see it as a red. I just still cannot believe the calls he made...both ways. I do think the FIFA ref group will be reviewing his work in this game and we may not see him center another in this World Cup. He does not deserve another game in my opinion...at center...he can line or 4th official all he wants, but no way he goes back into the center if I had a say.

I think the way they do it he is either a center or he goes home. FIFA works the refs in crews, and if your referee fails then you are done. Each crew brings three ARs and if one fails the crew can stay, but two failing ARs sends them all home.

I don't know how they pick the 4th and 5th officials though.

I think the way they do it he is either a center or he goes home. FIFA works the refs in crews, and if your referee fails then you are done. Each crew brings three ARs and if one fails the crew can stay, but two failing ARs sends them all home.

I don't know how they pick the 4th and 5th officials though.

Then he needs to go home.

Kudos to Algeria for the assist today. If we actually play for 90 minutes we should beat Algeria...and if England decides to wake up with their backs to the wall and can beat Slovenia we'll win group (unless England just routs Slovenia).

Let's be honest. The ref blew calls both ways. He could have easily called Dempsey for getting his elbow up early on a challenge and shown his card as it was just as blatant as several cards on Slovenia.

On the one hand the Findley call was a bang bang play so I can understand that he got it wrong but on the other he is in the World Cup so he should be the best of the best. He is getting paid to make that call correctly.

The Edu call was bad all around. If he is calling Bradley offside then he is wrong because that is passive all the way. Bradley was not involved in the play nor was he shielding the goalkeeper or a defender form making a play on the ball. If he is calling Edu for a tug or a push then he is wrong again as it is simply not there. The ref also clearly missed the Slovenes holding Bradley and Dempsy on the play. There are three ways to call that play. 1. allow the goal. 2. Holding Dempsey and a penalty shot. 3. Holding Bradley and a penalty shot. The ref should never be the centerpiece of a match and he was today. What made it worse is that the ref refused to explain what the call was right after the play or after the game to the US players. He simply had no explanation for the call. Nevertheless, After the Brits vomitted on the pitch today against Algeria it is simple. If the US beats Algeria on Wednesday they are through to the round of sixteen.

• Downvote 1