Univ Of Houston

UH brass propose plan for new football stadium, expansion for basketball arena

Upgrade to football, basketball facilities to cost $160 million

The University of Houston has unveiled a $160 million plan to upgrade its football and basketball facilities.

The athletic department was given the green light to pursue a $120 million construction of a football facility to replace Robertson Stadium and a $40 million renovation of Hofheinz Pavilion.

The football stadium, to be built at the existing Robertson site, would seat 40,000 and be expandable to more than 50,000. The basketball facility expansion would include the addition of practice facilities for the men’s and women’s teams and have a seating capacity of 8,593.

Interesting timing for that announcement. Maybe it's time for us to announce the impending groundbreaking for our new retractable roof baseball stadium and adjacent Superconducting Supercollider facilities? We should probably locate them both between our blimp hanger and private jet runway.

• Upvote 2

UH might be a sleeping giant. They've got several highly-ranked academic colleges and a quality football and basketball program. They also field a decent baseball team and they're in a fairly substantial media market.

I wouldn't doubt they'd be able to raise the $ for such an endeavor IF they ended up in a conference with BCS ties. They have the alums that are ready, willing, and angry they were passed over when the SWC fell apart.

I was at the UH-Tech game last year, which was one of the best college football games I've seen. There is a lot of buzz around the program. They knocked off a pair of Big 12 and an SEC school.... and had heisman hype aplenty. I'd say they're in as good a position as any non-BCS school in this realignment mess.