Unt Women Vs. Mtsu

I appreciate your concern for me. I didn't realize my absence had you so stirred up? As I'm sure you know my last post on January 20th was just after noon that day. This was because the remainder of it I spent packing getting ready to leave that night for our trip to Angel Fire NM and didn't return to the availability of a computer till five days later. The snow was awesome, I wished you could have been there. With that, allow me to give a great big belated congrats to Shanice and the ladies for their awesome win over USA!!!!!

94 feet of heat baby, 94 feet of heat!, and Go Mean Green!

Rick

I think it is the fact that you seem to enjoy rubbing it in everybody's face when we get blown out that pisses most people off.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I think it is the fact that you seem to enjoy rubbing it in everybody's face when we get blown out that pisses most people off.

I think he has the right to do that since he was one of many to point out how bad a hire this was two years ago. I guess you were not listening

Edited by Pen Yan Fan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Really? It pisses people off by simply repeating the title of that portfolio that had our selection committee so overjoyed two years ago? :lol:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think most on board wanted Capps after Slinker was let go , but I'm willing to give her another year to see what she can do. Why you ask ? Because honestly there is not that many people who care about women's basketball so why buy her out of her contract and waste money on something that doesn't even make money to begin with.

I see a lot of her program in TDs program. Both have had a ton of kids leave the program , both have suffered the worst losses in school histoty and both are being college head coaches for the 1st time. Difference is she actually has double the winning % as TD does. If people are willing to give Dodge a 4th year , then they should be willing to give SS a 3rd.

Edited by NT03

Why do so many seem to forget that she came in an did a scorched earth approach kicking or forcing most of the players to leave, hence why the team is now struggling. The my way or the highway approach seems to have very mixed results right now, including some very TD like blow-outs that are pretty embarassing. Of course RV will not do anything since this is one of his hires.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't doubt Stephens will get her full contract to turn her program around. Note, I say her program because she inherited a pretty good squad. I hope Stephens quickly succeeds for the sake of NT and there have been signs, like the tournament win in her first year and the win over USA this year, that she may be capable.

I will state the reasons I have to question Stephens' hire and performance thus far.

I thought there were better and certainly more experienced coaches available, and the emphasis on "94 Feet of Heat" in the hiring process was questionable.

For more upsetting to me however, was her handling of her players in her first year. I read a lot of junk on this board about how she was getting rid of the malcontents and players who didn't want to work or sacrifice or players that were just not right for her system. I could only guess that most of those posters had never bothered to watch much NT girls basketball because most of those girls played hard and although many fans were dissatisfied with Slinker as a coach, I have never heard anyone complain about the overall character of her players. In year one, before the season even started one of Slinker's recruits left the school and then we saw a continuous series of suspensions of this player or another. The year ended with the suspension of what was before almost a sure NT Hall of Fame player. It is my belief that an experienced coach should have been able to work much more effectively with the players she inherited. If the players are not capable of playing one style than adapt an offense and defense that can be successful. Again this was a veteran team who was picked relatively high in pre-season conference standings.

Year two begin in similar fashion. Stephen's selected MVP, only a freshman, left the team as did a number of others. Several of the recruits did not enroll and another left shortly after the beginning of the season. The end result was that NT is playing this year with 11 players or 4 under the maximum. To put that into perspective, many football fans were concerned with the APR sanctions which lowered NT's football squad by 4 to a maximum of 81 players.

Play this year has been a few ups with a lot more downs. The win/loss record is disappointing; but more concerning is NT's total uncompetitiveness in a number of games. Not uncompetitiveness in the normal sense were a team is outmatched and gets beat twenty or thirty points. Way too many games have been basically decided in the first five minutes and then are completely under the opponents coach's prerogative to decide how much they want to run up the score.

I think most would agree that Stephens is off to a very rocky start. Likewise, most would like to see her become a brilliant success. My personal opinion is that she was not ready and has make a lot of errors, but I like her fire and I have not given up on her ability to turn it around.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

I think most would agree that Stephens is off to a very rocky start. Likewise, most would like to see her become a brilliant success. My personal opinion is that she was not ready and has make a lot of errors, but I like her fire and I have not given up on her ability to turn it around.

unt should not be a training camp for rookie coaches.

we expect to win from day 1 not year 4.

• Upvote 1

Why do so many seem to forget that she came in an did a scorched earth approach kicking or forcing most of the players to leave, hence why the team is now struggling. The my way or the highway approach seems to have very mixed results right now, including some very TD like blow-outs that are pretty embarassing. Of course RV will not do anything since this is one of his hires.

Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Brian Williams and Melvin Goins support you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1