This Board Always Provides Entertainment

untjim1995

I have been gone since the 30th, so I went back and read the posts since I left. The entertainment level was very high, to say the least.

1.) K-State changes weekend for game in Denton. To emmitt and stebo, you couldn't be more right about this situation. K-State was very vocal in wanting out of this game. By leveraging the buyout of the contract versus scheduling the game for their benefit, K-State got what they wanted. For those of you that are just astonished that Kansas State could have that much power, remember that they are part of the haves--us, not so much. We take what we can get--and even if attendance is down because of the weekend after Turkey Day, the game will still draw better than any other 2010 home opponent would draw on that weekend. As a matter of fact, I would bet RV looked at the figures and realized that hosting this game would make more for the AD than the buyout and then hosting a FCS school at any time of the year. However, anyone predicting a win against K-State, much less a close game, is probably in for a letdown.

2.) Leach got fired--Yes, the James family looks extremely weak here, but it is obvious that Tech used them to get what they wanted. Leach may get what he wants out of the deal financially, but he won't get a progarm like this again, IMO. For one, his interview skills are terrible. He interviewed for Miami, but lost to a guy who has never been a head coach--Randy Shannon. He interviewed for Washington, but lost to a guy who has never been a head coach--Steve Sarkisian. I know that he was also mentioned before in connection with job openings at UCLA and Auburn, but neither took him seriously. Leach is a great offensive coach, but he wants nothing to do with fund-raising or glad-handing with big donors. Maybe that changes, but this guy's ego is so large that I suspect he will be out of coaching for a while. Secondly, the times have changed--the wussification of America continues strong, especially at colleges. A guy who has been branded as being "too tough" on players, probably won't play at a BCS school, at least not for the salary he was used to at Tech. Right now, most of what has come out in the media has been favorable to Leach, but more releases of affidavits from the university regarding this deal and any others will probably knock his reputation down even more. Parents of kids today are different--just as Pat Knight said, while comparing himself to his dad, "Today's kids are used to timeout, not spankings". He couldn't be more right.

3.) Troy oversigns, not fair. If we cannot get the conference to step up and put an end to this, then we have two choices: 1.) Move to another conference which doesn't allow this practice, meaning the academic standards of UNT mean something to that conference, unlike the SBC, or 2.) Shut up about it and find our own loophole. TFLF and I don't usually see eye-to-eye here, but this is more about having a quality coach and program to compete against the Troys of the world, which is not exactly like asking us to compete with the rest of the Big XII like Baylor has to do. Seriously, if this is wrong, and I think it is, then the conference or the NCAA will settle it. If they don't, then you really need to ask yourself if UNT needs to be affiliated with such a conference or if it should even be playing at this level. Crying about it while doing NOTHING is sooo very North Texas, but it gets you a program that is 5-31 over three years, yet cannot afford to change coaches.

There was more, but this all made me laugh. Seriously, good job GMG.com--the entertainment this board provides me each day is very high.